Brooksie remembered

dave

Yesterday was a sad day for not just Orioles fans but true baseball fans in general. Brooks Robinson passed away. He was my childhood hero and a legend to all Birds fans. 18 all star games, 16 gold gloves, World Series MVP, league MVP. He played his entire career with the O's. There are two statues at Camden Yards in his honor. His nickname was "The Human Vacuum" because he sucked up anything hit his way. Reds manager, Sparky Anderson, said Brooksie was so good that if he dropped his paper plate on the ground Brooks would pick it up on one bounce and throw him out at first. AP writer Gorden Beard said that New Yorkers name a candy bar after Reggie Jackson, but Baltimore names their children after Brooks Robinson. He was my favorite not just because he was a great player, but because he was a great person. Excellent at his craft. Humble in his spirit. Committed to his family. Faithful to his God. Well done Brooksie. Thank you for......everything. Rest well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, dave said:

Yesterday was a sad day for not just Orioles fans but true baseball fans in general. Brooks Robinson passed away. He was my childhood hero and a legend to all Birds fans. 18 all star games, 16 gold gloves, World Series MVP, league MVP. He played his entire career with the O's. There are two statues at Camden Yards in his honor. His nickname was "The Human Vacuum" because he sucked up anything hit his way. Reds manager, Sparky Anderson, said Brooksie was so good that if he dropped his paper plate on the ground Brooks would pick it up on one bounce and throw him out at first. AP writer Gorden Beard said that New Yorkers name a candy bar after Reggie Jackson, but Baltimore names their children after Brooks Robinson. He was my favorite not just because he was a great player, but because he was a great person. Excellent at his craft. Humble in his spirit. Committed to his family. Faithful to his God. Well done Brooksie. Thank you for......everything. Rest well. 

All third basemen are judged against Brooks Robinson as a standard bearer.  In my lifetime, there has not been another player at the hot corner better than Brooks and it will be hard for someone to match his talents.  I watched Cal Ripken, Jr. play third base with the Rochester Red Wings on his way to "The Show".  He could never be on the same level as Brooks and made a name for himself at shortstop.

• Like 2