A Chance Meeting with a Hall of Fame Legend

theeagleman5

3 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

So last night TheEagleman had to attend a funeral service for my sister in law's father....he was a very well known local sports coach and player who passed at 87.....anyway, the deceased's son was the best friend in HS of former Villanova Basketball Coach and HOFer Jay Wright.....Jay and his wife were at the wake and going around the room....my wife was a HS classmate of his and when he got to us he graciously remenised the old days with her....he shook my hand and i mentioned that i was a huge College Roundball fan and attended ORU...he complimented our program and said that he is a close friend of our former coach Bill Self.....we chatted a few moments about Bill and I mentioned that he left ORU for our crosstown rival TU which didn't make him very popular at 7777 So. Lewis....Wright laughed and said that stuff is gonna happen in college sports and I said...well, Jay....you wouldn't have left Villanova for St. Joseph's would you?....he frowned and said No Way.....well, that's about what Billy did......and he agreed probably not the best idea but most coaches are gonna take the money.....then i talked about how Paul Mills just left us for Wichita St. and he asked me how much more money he got....i said probably 3 or 4 times more and Jay just laughed and said...there ya go!!....plus he said the AAC is more prominent than the Summit and most coaches are gonna want to move up......Jay said he has never met Paul Mills but he was familiar with Russell Springmann from his Texas days as part of that Rick Barnes staff because Nova and the Longhorns played a couple times back then.......he even recalled what Russ looked like....good memory.......anyway, Jay Wright seemed like a genuine guy and it was nice that he spent 3-4 minutes chatting with TheEagleman......😎

Great story, Eagleman, and a classy interaction by Jay Wright.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

So last night TheEagleman had to attend a funeral service for my sister in law's father....he was a very well known local sports coach and player who passed at 87.....anyway, the deceased's son was the best friend in HS of former Villanova Basketball Coach and HOFer Jay Wright.....Jay and his wife were at the wake and going around the room....my wife was a HS classmate of his and when he got to us he graciously remenised the old days with her....he shook my hand and i mentioned that i was a huge College Roundball fan and attended ORU...he complimented our program and said that he is a close friend of our former coach Bill Self.....we chatted a few moments about Bill and I mentioned that he left ORU for our crosstown rival TU which didn't make him very popular at 7777 So. Lewis....Wright laughed and said that stuff is gonna happen in college sports and I said...well, Jay....you wouldn't have left Villanova for St. Joseph's would you?....he frowned and said No Way.....well, that's about what Billy did......and he agreed probably not the best idea but most coaches are gonna take the money.....then i talked about how Paul Mills just left us for Wichita St. and he asked me how much more money he got....i said probably 3 or 4 times more and Jay just laughed and said...there ya go!!....plus he said the AAC is more prominent than the Summit and most coaches are gonna want to move up......Jay said he has never met Paul Mills but he was familiar with Russell Springmann from his Texas days as part of that Rick Barnes staff because Nova and the Longhorns played a couple times back then.......he even recalled what Russ looked like....good memory.......anyway, Jay Wright seemed like a genuine guy and it was nice that he spent 3-4 minutes chatting with TheEagleman......😎

Always have been a Jay Wright fan!!!