• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• ORUTex

• ManiacVP

• JoeyO

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, Caleb really did get out of hand with about 6 minutes left. I thought he should have been on the bench because honestly I thought he was going to hurt himself. I think the team will take this loss as kind of a shot in the arm... lets face it, they needed it. They havent played their best basketball as of late. Anyway, I understand the posts guys, thanks for being classy. Haha can't say that about some other TU fans tonight. Got flipped off several times, and had old men making comments at me without me saying a word or doing anything to them. Also... im sorry but one of your camera men, whoever it was, is completely classless. You dont show footage on the jumbo screen of opposing team fans being dijected and or leaving the arena. Anyway, good win for TU, congrats. You wanted it alot more.

Personally, I think in those last 6 minutes I saw as much, if not more heart and effort out of  caleb than I ever have.  He's usually so nonchalant and plays pretty comfortably that he makes it look so easy (not saying thats bad at all). I kinda enjoyed seeing pissed off caleb. Also, I think he had a right to be upset.  He was at the wrong end of some pretty bad calls/no calls, his team mates couldn't shoot for their lives for the 3rd game in a row, and when he made good passes out of his double teaming his team mates either fumbled his passes or didn't finish. I enjoyed watching his never give up attitute, and I am glad that he was left in the game as long as the moron refs would allow him.

TU camera man classless?

How about the Maniacs entering the Reynolds Center with a drum and chanting 'Beat TU', beating the drum when TU had the ball, and stirring thigns up with the students and band?

You wanted attention. The camera man was just giving you all what you wanted based upon what he saw when you came in the door.

As for my 'prediction' and  Green. I was just trying give a little back ont he prediction since I have endured 3 whippings in row by ORU.

Green is simply an outstanding player but he did some things last night that made me think he was in it for him vs in it for the team. From the smirk and smile (which I just so dearly missed) when he is winning to the flop and cry move under the basket, to the yelling at team mates, and forgetting everyone at the end so he could get his stats before he fouled out.

I think ORU would be WAY better off if he lost some of that.

That said, it has worked for him so it's not critical he change but I think it would certainly help the team if he did.

Cheering is cheering, both sides do it... but why show a group of oru students (with no TU fans whatsoever in the shot) that are down on the jumbo screen on the scoreboard... while the ball is in play?

VP, as offended as you are, it's just homecourt advantage...sucks, but that's all it is.  The camera man had a chance to stoke the fire and he obviously did it...

I know I know, still a little blown away by that game I guess. Its just, I can understand students... and I guess even the older TU fans, but when you're gettin paid to do a job, do it like a professional.

It's a rivalry game.  If anything, take it as a compliment that y'all have successfully gotten under our skin and got our attention.  I expect nothing less in return when we go back to Mabee next year.

That's nothing compared to the stuff you'd see at OU-Texas or Bedlam.

How about the Maniacs entering the Reynolds Center with a drum and chanting 'Beat TU', beating the drum when TU had the ball, and stirring thigns up with the students and band?

You're right Weatherdemon...

It was a very classless move for the diehard student section at ORU to be that excited at a cross-town rivalry game.  You're right Weatherdemon, making noise while TU had the ball was completely uncalled for! I'll apologize on behalf of everyone for that.  As for the artificial noisemakers, I can only hope that one day you can find it in your hearts to forgive us. After all, we are still from the same city. And as for "stirring thigns(things) up with the students and band" ...us retaliating to signs like "isn't it curfew yet" and "ORU kidding me" wasn't necessary on our part.  Next time i'll recommend to everyone to sit in our seat with our hands in our laps.

Does anyone know why the ORU cheerleaders were not at the game?

I noticed that TU did not have theirs last week at the women's game either.

I have no problem with the cameraman showing us up a little. We did come in, making noise, chanting, suited up and ready to go. We would have continued being rowdy the whole game, causing a ruckus, if we didn't get booted to the upper deck, then watching our team play one of their worst games I have ever seen. If another team brought in a group of rowdy students into the Mabee Center, and our team dominated their team like last night, I guarantee we would let them know about it.

I also have no problem with the signs and chants of the TU students. Predictable and lacking creativity? Most certainly. But I would hope that their fans show some passion in a rivalry game like this.

Also...

The ORU cheerleaders were asked not to come, part of the reason being that they were not performing at halftime.

As long as I can remember, we have always allowed TU's cheerleaders at the Mabee Center.  If our cheerleaders and Eli were not welcome, then theirs should not be welcome either.

I recommend ignoring any post from Gold and Weatherdemon and such from now on.  The more you respond to their criticisms, the more they will continue.  Their goal is to get you to respond to them.  Figure it out...

The refs allowed Caleb to get fouled repeatedly, play after play last night.  It is a joke that they allow Caleb to get pushed around, and then call Moses Ehambe for non-existent touch fouls (while on defense) twice in a row, and call Caleb for a hook, and call traveling almost 4 times in a row early in the first half on ORU. 

They can call carrying the ball whenever they want.  They called it on ORU, and didn't call it on TU.  The refs took away the opportunity for ORU to build a lead early in the first half.  It was a clear double-standard.  Why Scott did not lay into the refs about the lack of fouls on Caleb is beyond me.

Doug Wojcik does coach an ugly Big-10 type of defense.  It can be very effective if the refs think a basketball game should be more like a football game.  I hope none of those refs call any games at the Mabee Center this year.

Why was Caleb upset?  Because he got pounded by 2-3 players every time he touched the ball.  I was impressed that Caleb got some fire in his eyes toward the end of the 2nd half.  I wish he would have played like that the entire game, but he was too busy being abused.  And when he did pass to an open player, they would fumble the ball or miss the shot. 

If we hit a couple jumpers and a couple 3-pointers that we should normally make, and the refs call a legitimate game, then it would have been a completely different game.

First off, I can understand calling out the refs, but to imply it was lopsided is just plane wrong. I sit on the Base lines and I guarantee you there was equality in the nocalls in the post. And I'll give you that there were some pretty iffy touch fouls that shouldn't have been called ON Both teams. I saw 2 fouls called on each team where NO contact was made by either player. But, I also saw 2 nocalls on each team where the sound of contact could probably be heard all the way up in the rafters.

You can't lay the outcome of this game on the refs.

I called for TU to get beat. One of the few TU faithful to openly admit it. I just didn't think we were there yet. Honestly I am more optiomistic, but I still don't thenk we are there yet.

TU did not get ORU's best game. I for one am sorry we didn't.

Some would say that TU's Defense was a direct cause for your perimiter shooting to be off. I say it had some effect, but not enough to cause those percentages. Something wasn't right with your team. they seem to be in a funk. I know they gopt frustrated, cause I could see it in their eyes. I know that look from having it the past three years, LOL.

Still floating from the KU win? Maybe, but unlikely. Overconfident because you've owned us for the past three years? Highly unlikely.  Maybe Coach Sutten said it best, maybe the TU players wanted it more. Maybe your guys were suprised  we are lots better than last year. Especially in shooting.

About Caleb Green. I can understand his attitude, and quite frankly, he's entitled to it. Now before you get too up in arms one way or the other, I mean that by saying that when a warrior goes into battle and things aren't going the way he thinks they should, frustration sets in and you start looking at everything. Whether it be the calls aren't going the way you think they should, or that the rim seems to have a constant lid on it, or your team mates don't seem to be playing as well as you KNOW they can play. Any competitive athlete would get frustrated in that situation and  it is going to show.

Green is the best athlete, in a BBall uniform, to come out of Tulsa in a long time. He never, ever gives up, and always plays his game, no matter what. And that is what makes him so good. O want to extend a thank you to him for the four years of great Basketball he has produced here in Tulsa.

As far as trying to help his team mates rather than scolding them... If this had been the first game where the shooting problems had occured, I might agree with you, but when it is multiple games (and especially in a rivalry game) it just might be time for the team leader to start calling people out. Was it overboard? I didn't think so. I looked at it as more of trying to give them a kick in the pants or a slap in the face to try to snap them out of their funk. That's what the team leader is supposed to do.

Anyway, I won't lie and tell you I'm not happy with the win. But, seriously, I hoped for a more balanced game. In every aspect.

I never, ever, would have expected what happened. Not this year.

Ash said it best. ORU STILL has the better team right now. TU has closed the gap a lot, but ORU still is the better team.

ORU will win a lot of games this year, and should make it back to the NCAA. I'm going to pull for them from now on.

So Keep your heads up Golden Eagles. Sutton will get the machine in sync soon. Life will return to blue skies and sunshine.

Enjoy the rest of your season.

Very nice post, BasPlayr.  I like your thinking.  I agree with your assessment of Green and of the game in general.  I wish we'd made a better showing, but like you said, the ship will be righted in due course.

Doug Wojcik does coach an ugly Big-10 type of defense.  It can be very effective if the refs think a basketball game should be more like a football game.  I hope none of those refs call any games at the Mabee Center this year.

Look for Collins, the head official last night, to ref three or four games at Mabee Center this season and play a prominent role in the Mid-Con Tournament in March.  He's a good ref, but he likes to let 'em play under the basket.

Is that the gray haired ref that called the 'Hook' on Caleb from the opposite side of the court? All I saw was a double forearm push from Caleb's defender, but I guess thats why Im not paid the money to be a ref.