Hurricane covets cup - TW (11-28-06)

ORUTerry

Hurricane covets cup

By ERIC BAILEY World Sports Writer

11/28/2006

TU has lost three straight games to rival ORU crosstown series.

The Mayor's Cup looks like just another trophy topped by a basketball player.

To Tulsa's Charles Ramsdell, it's an elusive award that he'd love to hoist after Tulsa's home basketball game against Oral Roberts on Tuesday night.

"I need to get that Cup at least once, and this is my last chance," the TU senior said Sunday afternoon.

An astute Ramsdell paused and quickly crossed over to "just another game" mode.

"It's more than the Cup," he added. "It's a big game at home for us. We have to protect that home court. The first thing in our mind is getting that win."

Ramsdell then shifted back in the same breath.

"It would be nice to sit out there and get that Mayor's Cup," he said.

ORU has dominated Tulsa during Ramsdell's past three seasons. The Golden Hurricane's last win was a 90-80 triumph in the 2002-03 campaign.

Since then, the Golden Eagles have chalked 87-81, 70-47 and 68-52 triumphs over their crosstown rival.

This is Brett McDade's fourth season with the Hurricane. He's sat through the previous losses, beginning with his redshirt year.

"Coming to Tulsa, I didn't know how big the rivalry was," said McDade, who played AAU ball with ORU guard Ken Tutt. "I didn't know anything about the Mayor's Cup. But after being here for four years, it's a pretty big deal."

Doug Wojcik has been around sports all of his life. It didn't take him long after arriving at TU to realize the contest's magnitude.

"It's a healthy rivalry, I don't think it's a bad rivalry," Wojcik said. "It's good to have big games on your schedule, especially where they are right now. They have an All-American candidate (Caleb Green) and two great players (Green and Tutt.)

"Playing on the road and playing in games like this can only make you better. It toughens you up, especially in a situation like this where they've had success. It's nice to play against teams that know how to win."

Ramsdell was introduced to the Hurricane-Eagles history when he played in the 2003 all-state game against ORU signee Green at the Reynolds Center.

"The media interviewed me and the first thing asked was about the TU-ORU game," Ramsdell said. "After a while, I realized it was a pretty big deal."

Tulsa's new crop of players was introduced to the game's importance shortly following last Saturday night's 91-70 win over Cal State Northridge.

"They've kind of figured it out because so many people are asking about it," Ramsdell said. "When we signed posters after the (Northridge) game, every third person talked about ORU and the game."

For TU to snap a three-game losing streak, getting an early start is critical, McDade said.

"Every time that we play, coach (Wojcik) talks about coming out and delivering the first blow," McDade said. "In the three years we've played, I think ORU came out and delivered the first blow and we never recovered.

"We have to come out to a great start this year and go from there."

A packed gym awaits the teams on Tuesday night.

"It's going to be a great atmosphere," McDade said. "It's very exciting, and I'm really looking forward to the game."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eric Bailey 581-8391

eric.bailey@tulsaworld.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crosstown Drive

Lael Wojcik and Tulsa's Students in Free Enterprise group is spearheading TU's part in the "Cross-Town Drive" against Oral Roberts.

Fans can bring nonperishable food items or make monetary donations to Tuesday night's TU-ORU game. Golden Eagles fans can do the same at the Feb. 10 ORU-Southern Utah contest.

The school with the most pounds of food donated will get bragging rights.

"My wife connected with the local food bank and she wanted to be a part of something locally versus nationally," TU coach Doug Wojcik said. "We did this at Michigan State. It's a nice cause."

All benefits go to the Community Food Bank of Eastern Oklahoma.