Jonah Cox

Bogus Smith

Jonah was promoted to Single-A Stockton in the California League on Tuesday.  After two games with Stockton, he is batting 3-for-9 for .333 batting average and has yet to make a miscue in the field on 14 chances.  In his short pro career, he is hitting .393 (Rookie and A ball) and a .500 OBP.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the updates Bogus.  The article indicated that his arm was below average, which I found surprising, since prior to coming to ORU he played shortstop.

1 hour ago, dbl78 said:

Thanks for the updates Bogus.  The article indicated that his arm was below average, which I found surprising, since prior to coming to ORU he played shortstop.

I think for outfield play, the throwing arm is judged on the ability to get the ball to third and home.  Throwing from the hole at short to first base is not as far.  Throwing from the outfield can be a strength and conditioning effort with time which can improve that score.  Jonah's speed and bat are his forte right now and a skill that is more innate than taught.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jonah seems to be wearing down as the season progresses.  He has been playing nine months straight, plus last year's fall workouts.  He is currently .292 / .321 / .707, but is only hitting .185 with 14 Ks in 27 ABs.  Fortunately for Jonah, the season ends Sunday.  Hopefully he'll get some time in the Arizona Fall League.

• 4 months later...

The A's announced today they traded Jonah to the Giants for RHP Ross Stripling.  I wish Jonah the best in the Giants system although I was kinda hoping I'd get to see him play when the As come to town.

Jonah was at the Diamond Dinner tonight. It was great hearing him and others share their memories and experiences from last season and the CWS.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

More news on Jonah Cox. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1