Upcoming Games

Mike Minyard

Tulsa...

Probably will be the most competitive Mayor's Cup game since Tutt and Green came to ORU ... It will be interesting to see how TU plays against CS-Northridge this weekend ... Tulsa had a good win over Arkansas-Little Rock, who beat Akron in both teams season opener ... Tulsa has improved under the new coach ... They have improved their shooting, but still committ too many turnovers ... Tulsa should be tough on their home floor.

Akron...

Akron lost a hearbreaker at UARL by two to start the season, but has rebounded with convincing wins over Gardner Webb and Tiffin ... They play at Niagra this weekend before coming to the Mabee Center ... Akron was the preseason pick to win the MAC with teams like Western Michigan (beat Virginia Tech tonight), Kent State, Buffalo and Miami (OH) ... Akron has struggled at the free throw line this season, but has dominated the glass (outrebounding opponent 37-29 each game) ... They have three guys that are a combined 18-41 (44%) from 3-pt. range ... One of the players is 5-12 from 3's in just 11 minutes in two games ... It looks like these guys can shoot from outside ... They are very undersized with the tallest player playing is 6-7 ... They do a good job handling the ball and limiting turnovers while scoring nearly 90 points per game ... They average shooting over 25 3-pt. shots per game (making nearly 9).

Lamar...

Has struggled this season ... Lost an exhibition game by 16 to Texas A&M-Kingsville, but rebounded with a nine point win over Central Oklahoma (we beat them by 20) ... They have losses to Texas A&M (34 pt. loss) and St. Louis (13 pt. loss) ... Lamar did beat La. Tech by three ... Lamar has just struggled shooting the ball ... Shooting 37% from the field, 33% from 3's and 65% from the free throw line ... Opponents are shooting 44% from the field and 41% from 3 pt. range ... They've had 90 turnovers in 5 games (18 per) ... Scoring just 66 points per game, opponents scoring 74 points.

I orginally predicted ORU to go 3-1 in the next four games, but I feel much better about the possibility of going 4-0.  Akron still remains the toughest team coming up.  ORU should go to Georgetown with a record of 6-1 or 5-2.  That would make for a pretty impressive match-up.  Akron still worries me because they can shoot the ball, and we all know how well everyone shoots at the Mabee Center.  The ORU-Tulsa game could be one of the best games in the rivalry for the past few years.  I don't think the Panhandle State game could have come at a better time.  Look for ORU to find its shooting stroke on Saturday.  I'm predicting that Sango really turns it on in the next few games.

I think it is really difficult to get a handle on how good some of these teams are right now. Not really sure what the true level of competition is and how a particular team is coming together (or not).

I agree that this appears to be shaping up as the most competitive ORU-TU game in a number of years. It's funny how close these games have been over the last 10 years or so. You never can tell what will happen in a rivalry game. I saw TU play in a scrimmage and they have more talent - they are just young. The Uzoh kid is a player, but it will take him some time to acclimate to D-1 basketball. McClean looked okay too. They appear to be a better shooting team but they will have mismatch problems (again) with Green. Should be a great game.