Coach's first class

Keenan Henderson

Now that the roster is complete.  What do you think of Springmann's first class?  He started late because of the hiring situation but brought in a total of five new players.  We can call it a mini-class of new recurits.  

The roster is not complete and won’t be until school starts.

It never is, this early in the summer. 

• Like 1

It is surprising that Coach already has 13 guys on the roster.  I also thought that it would take him until school starts to put together a team but give Springmann his props he did it in basically three months.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It is surprising that Coach already has 13 guys on the roster.  I also thought that it would take him until school starts to put together a team but give Springmann his props he did it in basically three months.

It helped that he knew who was coming back to know how many spots (and which spots) he needed to fill.  I don't know that, in this age of the portal, it is always going to come together this quickly and this smoothly.  I'm hopeful that our team will gel well together and we will minimize the number of unnecessary departure because they WANT to stay here.

• Upvote 4

Coach Springmann most likely needs 2-3 of these news guys to step up next year and be good players.  Not that they are all stars but guys who can consistently help out on a nightly basis: say 8 points and 3 rebounds.  The Eagles lost a ton of offense last year (over 50 points) so they need scoring but they really lost a lot of everything (4 of their top 6 rotation guys).  It is a lot to replace and it will take a total team effort.

Of course Coach tried but he was unable to bring in a D1 shooting guard to help fill Max's shoes.  I thought with ORU's recent success they would land a big fish out of the portal, meaning someone who had good numbers at another D1 school.  It will be interesting to see who McBride's backcourt mate is, maybe Miller from Rutgers.  He could be the defensive stopper on guys like Mayo (SDSU) and allow McBride more freedom to score and run the offense.

Just saw a young person repping an ORU basketball camp shirt in Arkansas. That was cool considering all the Razorback stuff I see daily. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Coach Springmann most likely needs 2-3 of these news guys to step up next year and be good players.  Not that they are all stars but guys who can consistently help out on a nightly basis: say 8 points and 3 rebounds.  The Eagles lost a ton of offense last year (over 50 points) so they need scoring but they really lost a lot of everything (4 of their top 6 rotation guys).  It is a lot to replace and it will take a total team effort.

Of course Coach tried but he was unable to bring in a D1 shooting guard to help fill Max's shoes.  I thought with ORU's recent success they would land a big fish out of the portal, meaning someone who had good numbers at another D1 school.  It will be interesting to see who McBride's backcourt mate is, maybe Miller from Rutgers.  He could be the defensive stopper on guys like Mayo (SDSU) and allow McBride more freedom to score and run the offense.

It’s a rebuild and we got some good pick ups along the way. We have to give Coach grace and slack as he works through Mills left overs along with working to implement his concepts and working to get players that fit. Orumbb will be competitive and do better than many expect them too. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Elis Flight Crew said:

...Mills left overs...

You don't think Coach Springmann was involved in recruiting these players in the first place?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

McBride and Thompson deferred to Max quite a bit last season:

Max had 534 FG attempts which was more than double than every other player on the roster except for Vanover, McBride, & Jurgens. The only returning player that wasn't doubled by Max (534) was McBride (318).

Replacing a program defining player like Max is an impossible task but there are going to be a lot more shots for guys like McBride, Thompson, and Weaver this season. I think we will be OK with those guys.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

You don't think Coach Springmann was involved in recruiting these players in the first place?

Grip you are correct. Mills system fit the players Coach Russ recruited. Should have worded that better. Coach Russ will of course moving forward recruit players that fit his concepts. 

I like the variety of players that Coach brought in: 3 guards, 1 forward and 1 center.  Also, some are from the portal, one from juco, and one from overseas.  A good mixture of guys who can shoot, play defense, and add toughness to the team.  He should get an A for his first class.  Plus the Eagles had 7 players enter the portal and three came back.  That is almost unheard of, maybe one will return but to get 3 (Kareem, Weaver, and Trey) to comeback is really good.