2023 Season Epitaph

Old Titan

TheEagleman is VERY proud of this bunch of scrappy scruffy ORU players.....this CWS run from Fargo to Stillwater to Eugene to Omaha was VERY exciting.....my phone was blowing up constantly all month and honestly at this point I am ready for some silence...but fun while it lasted....let's face it....once we got to Omaha we just were not used to seeing this kind of pitching and depth of pitching....TCU, Florida, LSU, Wake, etc.....these guys are all loaded with guys who can throw 95+....not used to seeing that in the Summit League.....but the Good Guys battled and played hard....seemed to run out of gas vs. TCU yesterday but still we were one hit away from bringing the tying run to the plate in the 9th....just never able to get the key hit vs. Florida and TCU the 2nd time......still it was a wonderful run.....Love these guys!!!  2023 season is one for the ages!! Thank you, Blue!!! :tb-blue:

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Elis Flight Crew said:

ORUBase News……

@Dr. Cornelius sorry but can we move this to the other thread as the recommendation of @Old Titan. Thanks.

22 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

This post doesn't really belong in this thread. 

It belongs in the "Game #9 - ORU vs. TCU" thread.

This thread is for SEASON summaries; more of a "long view" perspective, with a look to the future.

Thx...

You got it. Thx 

This World Series team (sounds good) was a model in how to build a team.  Most coaches would love to copy this no matter what sport.  They struggled some in non conference but just continued to get better throughout the season and really peaked at the end.  The pieces all came together as the season went on and Jonah Cox was the big surprise hitting over 400 and having a 47 game hitting streak.  Who saw that coming?  Hopefully Coach Springmann is taking notes for next year's team.

• Upvote 1

This season was fun and far exceeded all expectations.  Should help with recruiting and we need to capitalize on that momentum.  Let's do this again soon. 

• Upvote 3

As much fun as I've had in FIFTY YEARS of watching ORU Baseball, and each week down the stretch just got better and better.

So grateful to the team and the staff for getting this old-timer to Omaha for the first time - now I can mark that off the bucket list!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Just INCREDIBLE....agree this has been an amazing 4 month ride....still basking in the glow of a 52-14 season...while it was disappointing to lose to Florida and TCU...TheEagleman felt that this ORU squad showed they could compete with the best of the best. Think about it...in June we beat OSU, Washington, Dallas Baptist, Oregon and TCU...and we were one hit away from beating #2 Florida who just may win it all....it just boggles the mind....did anyone foresee this happening? I know I did not but guessing Folmar and his boys did....and it speaks volumes about the character of this club...what a great run....they made June exciting and TheEagleman for one is a Gator Fan this weekend! 🐊 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

LSU and Wake Forest in a rubber match tonight to see who gets to play Florida in a best of 3 over the weekend....all these teams are really good with amazing pitching....from TheEagleman's perspective that's where ORU fell a little short....we just don't have the depth of good pitchers that these Power 5 teams have.....still ORU was just one hit away from upsetting the Gators.....would be very cool if Florida wins......😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmh8286 said:

“. . . ORU was just one hit away . . .” 😢

The story of TheEaglemans' life......Image result for george costanza

• Haha 2

We didn't win the CWS, but did we get a trophy? A plaque? What do they give teams that don't win it all?

3 hours ago, titansforever said:

We didn't win the CWS, but did we get a trophy? A plaque? What do they give teams that don't win it all?

Probably a participation trophy as that seems to be the going thing these days.  🤣 🏆

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Probably a participation trophy as that seems to be the going thing these days.  🤣 🏆

Please no rings. Nothing upsets me more than youth sports giving away rings….😑