ORU vs. Florida (2023 CWS Winners Bracket)

ORUSwagger

The Florida coach looked like he thought they would lose. For a while it felt inevitable that ORU would pull it out. What a great game. I have confidence that we’ll get to face Florida again. 

Also, Florida is really, really good and ORU held them to 5 runs. Great pitching and defensive game. 

• Like 2

Showed the could play with the best of the best. Just left to many men on base😦 Regroup and eliminate TCU on Tues.!!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Idig32 said:

The Florida coach looked like he thought they would lose. For a while it felt inevitable that ORU would pull it out. What a great game. I have confidence that we’ll get to face Florida again. 

Also, Florida is really, really good and ORU held them to 5 runs. Great pitching and defensive game. 

I thought the coach was having a panic attack. I hope he brings a xanax for the next time we meet. 

That whole 8th inning was very interesting.  I was watching Adam broadcast it and he seemed to think that maybe Florida should have been given a delay of game warning when the bullpen pitcher was not ready. ORU had the bases loaded and the Gators made that final mound meeting and they had to bring someone in to replace the closer but no one was warming up in the pen.  It's a very odd situation but does anyone know the rule about it?

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman thought this was another really good baseball game and have to honestly say that ORU does NOT look out of place playing against the big boys....#2 Gators a VERY good team and we held them to 5 hits.....we were ONE hit away from another miracle late comeback....the Hogan inside the parker was amazing and ballsy.....Gollert start was disappointing...but then again he was going up against Florida not Western Illinois....bullpen was phenomenal tonight and didn't even use Denton....the 9th inning was just nail biting and i will comment that i was disappointed in the Stahl AB....he chops out weakly on the first pitch with sacks loaded....wish he would have worked the count a little especially since the pitcher appeared to be very nervous having walked Breeze.....I would have liked to see Stahl take a couple....but agree that the HP umpire had a rather wide strike zone in the late innings for the Gators.....our guys had to be swinging......Overall TheEagleman is VERY proud of these Golden Eagles and they are not done yet....comments from my friends and family are basically they can't believe how good a baseball team ORU has.....we have shown up and played two very good baseball games against two highly thought of opponents in national TV in front of huge crowds....one at a time now....let's get TCU on Tuesday afternoon!!   GO BLUE!!! :tb-white:

• Upvote 2

That was a heartbreaker, but boy is this fun. What a ride we're on. On to the next one! Roll Eags!

9 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

That whole 8th inning was very interesting.  I was watching Adam broadcast it and he seemed to think that maybe Florida should have been given a delay of game warning when the bullpen pitcher was not ready. ORU had the bases loaded and the Gators made that final mound meeting and they had to bring someone in to replace the closer but no one was warming up in the pen.  It's a very odd situation but does anyone know the rule about it?

Florida had used up its six visits to the mound. Every time you go to the mound after the sixth visit you are obligated to replace the pitcher. That's why the closer came out and the lefty came in. That's what Sully was so upset about. He screwed up and he knew it. He simply lost count of visits.

Did you see Sullivan's hand shaking? He was totally unglued by his blunder and knew if Gators lost it was on him... TheEagleman has never seen a mistake like that on national TV in a crucial game...unfortunately ORU couldnt make them pay....sooooo close....😬

• Upvote 1

That game bothers me because we should've/could've won.  We left soooo many on base.  But I'm very proud of all that they've accomplished so far.

We are headed up to Omaha today for a game 3 win.  For those of you in Omaha, give me some pointers.  What should I not miss?  Fanfest area?  Where did you park?

1 hour ago, MrsSmith said:

That game bothers me because we should've/could've won.  We left soooo many on base.  But I'm very proud of all that they've accomplished so far.

We are headed up to Omaha today for a game 3 win.  For those of you in Omaha, give me some pointers.  What should I not miss?  Fanfest area?  Where did you park?

We have parked in the garage at the CHI Health Center and found it very convenient - it costs $15, but is only a block or so from the stadium.  It is right accross the street from the Downtown Marriott.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dbl78 said:

We have parked in the garage at the CHI Health Center and found it very convenient - it costs $15, but is only a block or so from the stadium.  It is right accross the street from the Downtown Marriott.  

@MrsSmith,

So sorry I missed you and Bogus.  I kept an eye out for you.  Sadly, I had to come back to reality early this morning.  I left a significant decibel vacuum that I expect the two of you to fill 🙃

+1 on the CHI Health Center.  $15 for covered parking seems like good value.  The first day I paid $20 for a surface lot 5 or 6 blocks further away.

I would definitely hit Fan Fest on the east side of the stadium.  Outside of the area they have big bracket that has updated as the tournament progresses.  It's pretty cool to see Oral Roberts on the big board with all the Power 5 schools.  They also have the championship trophy on display and you can your picture standing next to it....for free!

Across from Gate 2, along Mike Fahey Street between 13th & 14th, there's another area with a ton of merch tents and food trucks.  Got a pretty good gyro at the Greek food truck.

There's a very cool stature at the front of the stadium, Cumming St and 13th, that you and Bogus should visit and get your picture taken. 

I never made it to the team hotel but I  hung out with a number of folks who did.  I'll let those with first hand experience report on that.

I was impressed with the event.  Well organized and the locals working it are extremely pleasant.  One thing that surprised me was that at each of the photo ops I cited above, they have event staff there to take your picture with your phone free of charge.  Wasn't expecting that!  I'm used to a photographer with a professional camera who hands you a number so you can pay $19.95 for your picture. 

Anyway, y'all have fun and make your presence felt!

• Like 2

We saw it again last night: ORU trails by 4 and all of a sudden they flip a switch and make a huge comeback.  That seems to be the theme for a good chunk of the season (7 comeback wins).  Does anyone know how the Eagles can repeatedly do that?  Sure maybe 1 or 2 times but 7!

For certain, there is something very unique about this team. They just never quit. But there is something very unique about baseball, too. Since it is not defined by a clock (with the exception of the pitch clock), it allows the players to approach the game without the added pressure of the clock reaching zero thus ending the momentum of a big come from behind victory. How many times have we heard basketball or football players say, "If we just  had a couple more minutes we would have won." In baseball you don't say that. The momentum is all yours until you surrender it or the other team regains it. Somehow, year's ORU squad knows how to be both patient and aggressive enough to turn the momentum in their favor. Add to that, stellar defense and an excellent bullpen. They didn't have quite enough "mo" last night but it was still on display. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dave said:

For certain, there is something very unique about this team. They just never quit. But there is something very unique about baseball, too. Since it is not defined by a clock (with the exception of the pitch clock), it allows the players to approach the game without the added pressure of the clock reaching zero thus ending the momentum of a big come from behind victory. How many times have we heard basketball or football players say, "If we just  had a couple more minutes we would have won." In baseball you don't say that. The momentum is all yours until you surrender it or the other team regains it. Somehow, year's ORU squad knows how to be both patient and aggressive enough to turn the momentum in their favor. Add to that, stellar defense and an excellent bullpen. They didn't have quite enough "mo" last night but it was still on display. 

Baseball, the only modern sport without a clock...

except now for the pitch clock...because of the shortened time spans of Americans. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

This game is being replayed this morning on ESPNU.....TheEagleman is watching after deciding to skip church and watch online this morning after a long day yesterday.....just saw Hogan's inside the park 2 run HR....it's still exciting even 6 weeks later....just a super tough one run loss for the Good Guys......:tb-blue:

TheEagleman watched the last 4 innings of the Florida game and frankly ORU should have pulled it out in the 9th....the key moment for me was down 5-3 with one out in the 9th we get a walk vs. the freshman pitcher to load the bases and he's clearly unglued and the FLA head coach is biting his nails in the dugout.....Stahl comes up and needs to be patient and grounds the first pitch to the SS for a force at 2nd but could have been a DP if not for a great take out slide by our runner....I just feel Stahl should have worked the young pitcher a bit and let's see if he totally implodes.....didn't happen....ORU loses 5-4 and he are in the losers bracket instead of the Semi Finals......still hurts......😬

• Upvote 2