ORU’s Future with the Summit League

vcboy2000

Conference realignment is happening all around us, and ORU has a lot to consider regarding it’s future. Will the Summit show a strong commitment to ORU and bring in another southern school to make the league more geographically balanced, or will ORU be invited to join another conference with regional ties. Our recent success in basketball and baseball has made our name a hot topic among some fan forums in conferences looking to expand. I wouldn’t be surprised if TJ is already getting calls to gauge interest. 

• Upvote 2

All good points. If I'm the Summit League, I'm doing whatever it takes to keep the only program to get post-season wins (and post season dollars) in the last decade. Unfortunately, we all know how unlikely that is. But this run that we've had the last few years puts us in a strong position going forward. 

I actually like the Summit and hope that I'm wrong regarding their desire to keep us -I'd love to see us stay long-term. But only if they change their treatment of us non-Dakota schools. 

We know and have seen what kind of revenue our Sweet 16 run generated for the conference. Would be interesting to see how this trip to the CSW benefits the Summit. You can be sure they won't be in a hurry to lose their flagship program.

1 hour ago, Texasgrip said:

We know and have seen what kind of revenue our Sweet 16 run generated for the conference. Would be interesting to see how this trip to the CSW benefits the Summit. You can be sure they won't be in a hurry to lose their flagship program.

Do you know how much we get for this trip? Is the financial payout similar to the 1-share-per-game system that the basketball tourney uses? 

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/031516/how-much-does-ncaa-make-march-madness.asp

The NCAA earned $1.14 billion in revenues in 2022, with roughly a billion of these earnings made from March Madness.

The men's basketball tournament is by far the leading source of revenue for the NCAA.

3 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Do you know how much we get for this trip? Is the financial payout similar to the 1-share-per-game system that the basketball tourney uses? 

I believe $0 is distributed for non-basketball sports.

"The NCAA receives most of its annual revenue from two sources: television and marketing rights for the Division I Men’s Basketball Championship and ticket sales for all championships. That money is distributed in more than a dozen ways — almost all of which directly support NCAA schools, conferences and nearly half a million student-athletes."

-- Finances - NCAA.org

Here are the latest NCAA financial statements. See Note 2 for Revenue Recognition (see excerpt below for distribution info), Note 17 for revenue breakdowns by category, and Note 11 for more info on their TV deals.

"Distribution of Revenues: In August 1990, the NCAA Board of Governors (formerly the Executive Committee) approved a plan to distribute revenues to member institutions for the year ended August 31, 1991, and each year thereafter. Dollar amounts for each fund are approved annually by the NCAA Board of Governors as part of the Association-wide budget. The Board of Governors may establish or otherwise change distributions from time to time.

For active Division I members, the plan consists of:
● A Basketball Performance Fund distribution based on historical performance in the Division I Men's Basketball Championship
● An Equal Conference Fund distribution for active Division basketball playing conferences,
● Broad-based distributions based on Division I sports sponsorship and grants-in-aid,
● A Conference Grant distribution, and
● Student Assistance Fund, Academic Enhancement Fund, and Academic Performance Fund distributions for current Division student-athletes to be used for academic and other needs.

For Division II members. the plan consists of sports sponsorship and an equal distribution among all active division members."

Also, here is an interesting page showing, high-level, distribution categories. Keep in mind that "The Division I College Football Playoff and bowl games are independently operated, and the NCAA does not receive revenue from these events."

-- Where Does the Money Go? - NCAA.org

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3