23-24 Schedule Chatter (Non-Conference as well)

ORUSwagger

Hey all,

Springmann based on his resume and contacts could bring more creditability in efforts to schedule P5 schools.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we get games against Tennessee (Former Boss Rick Barnes). Also AAC teams aside from Barnyard Church (WSU).

Given the rebuild in roster P5 teams maybe more open to play us as well this season.

Edited by ORUFanbase

We have some contracts to fulfill: @OSU Cowboys, @UT Arlington, @Missouri State and Tulsa in the Mabee Center.  After that who knows?

1 minute ago, Keenan Henderson said:

We have some contracts to fulfill: @OSU Cowboys, @UT Arlington, @Missouri State and Tulsa in the Mabee Center.  After that who knows?

That’s good to see OSU. Why didn’t we play them this past season? 

Eagles were scheduled to play OSU this past season but it never got worked out.  It seemed they were dodging ORU because they still had Max and company around.

I have been told by those who would know to expect a similar scheduling philosophy under the Springmann regime as when Paul Mills was here, at least until the NCAA sees fit to alter the current NET formula:

• As many as four non-D1 opponents.
  • No "exempt" holiday tournaments.
  • Mid-major opponents, home or away, however we can get them.
  • Minimum of "guarantee games" on P5 campuses.

57 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I have been told by those who would know to expect a similar scheduling philosophy under the Springmann regime as when Paul Mills was here, at least until the NCAA sees fit to alter the current NET formula:

Then, although we may win the Summit League post season tournament, we will continue to be a one-and-done team in the NCAA tournament.

Albert Einstein Quotes Insanity. QuotesGram

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Old Titan said:

I would prefer to be a well-prepared 20-12, 14- or 15-seed ready to take on a 2- or 3-seeded team than to be a 30-4 12-seed that has not played against 6'X" guards and two 7-footers in the last 20 months.  With the parity of college basketball that the portal-era has brought, we are seeing players with a chip on their shoulder ready to prove that their being overlooked was a mistake and are willing to invest in themselves and their new teammates to ensure success as they fear failure.  Just my opinion.  Some may be happy with a better record, but it doesn't matter what that record is if we don't win the three (or four) games in March.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If all the seniors go then it would be hard to expect ORU to be back in the NCAA tournament next year.  A 500 record would be more acceptable, as McBride would be the only starter returning.  The Summit League will be ready for some revenge on the Eagles next year after the beating ORU gave them this year.  

On 3/25/2023 at 9:49 AM, Keenan Henderson said:

If all the seniors go then it would be hard to expect ORU to be back in the NCAA tournament next year.  A 500 record would be more acceptable, as McBride would be the only starter returning.  The Summit League will be ready for some revenge on the Eagles next year after the beating ORU gave them this year.  

We should expect all the seniors to NOT return (although hope for the best).  We should also expect that there will be some gems found through the portal that could help us.  I think we will be competitive in the SL next year, but don't know whether we will peak at the right time to get back to the Dance.  Freshmen can become veterans in a year of adversity.

• Upvote 2

Not to beat a dead horse but to put it mildly, we failed miserably in the Big Dance.  The only loss in the Big Dance more embarrassing was Purdue's epic fall to FDU.  As I stated in another thread, I honestly thought we had a shot at Duke.  I never expected a beat down on National TV in Primetime, and please do not hand me how great Duke is because it took them exactly one game to get knocked out of the Tourney by Tennessee who then was taken out by ConfUSA Champ FAU.  In the Elite 8 there were 2 teams from the Big 12, 2 teams from the Big East, 1 ACC team, 1 Mountain West team, 1 West Coast Conference team and 1 team from ConfUSA, along with no Big 10 teams, no SEC teams, no PAC 12 teams, you get the point.  It is nice that we won 30 games this year but against who?  I am not opposed to playing GOOD Mid-Majors on a home/away basis, but can we not schedule at least a couple or 3 P-5 games and maybe just 1 NAIA/DII team (as an exhibition)?  As Bogus stated above I would rather play a schedule that prepares us for the Big Dance rather than a bunch of stiffs and then embarrass ourselves by being a one and done in the Big Dance.  That by the way is not my idea of taking the program to the next level.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Not to beat a dead horse but to put it mildly, we failed miserably in the Big Dance.  The only loss in the Big Dance more embarrassing was Purdue's epic fall to FDU.  As I stated in another thread, I honestly thought we had a shot at Duke.  I never expected a beat down on National TV in Primetime, and please do not hand me how great Duke is because it took them exactly one game to get knocked out of the Tourney by Tennessee who then was taken out by ConfUSA Champ FAU.  In the Elite 8 there were 2 teams from the Big 12, 2 teams from the Big East, 1 ACC team, 1 Mountain West team, 1 West Coast Conference team and 1 team from ConfUSA, along with no Big 10 teams, no SEC teams, no PAC 12 teams, you get the point.  It is nice that we won 30 games this year but against who?  I am not opposed to playing GOOD Mid-Majors on a home/away basis, but can we not schedule at least a couple or 3 P-5 games and maybe just 1 NAIA/DII team (as an exhibition)?  As Bogus stated above I would rather play a schedule that prepares us for the Big Dance rather than a bunch of stiffs and then embarrass ourselves by being a one and done in the Big Dance.  That by the way is not my idea of taking the program to the next level.  

What was all that “not beating a dead horse” talk? 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have talked about this before but there are a lot of good teams in the state of Texas that are just a bus ride away.  Plus, a lot of guys are from that state and maybe their families and friends could come and watch them play.  I think ORU will always have a hard time scheduling D1 opponents to come to the Mabee Center, unless they are willing to pay them some good money, which is usually not in the budget.  I do not like all the NAIA games either but that is basically the easiest way to schedule non-conference home games.  Let us face it, most coaches do not want to spend most of their season on the road unless their sports budget is desperate for money.

• Like 1

Let's say ORU plays a tough non-conference schedule but then they still have 21 Summit League Games with so-so competition.  Then they win the tournament and go to the Big Dance.  Then let's say their first round match up is versus a Power 5 who has just faced two months of tough teams in conference play, while the Eagles have had two months of facing average teams.  ORU is still at a huge disadvantage going into the tournament.  

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Let's say ORU plays a tough non-conference schedule but then they still have 21 Summit League Games with so-so competition.  Then they win the tournament and go to the Big Dance.  Then let's say their first round match up is versus a Power 5 who has just faced two months of tough teams in conference play, while the Eagles have had two months of facing average teams.  ORU is still at a huge disadvantage going into the tournament.  

True, however we as fans need to understand this is the path for us as we get stronger and better. This is the new norm. We are capable of turning the tables. Not easy but doable.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

We have talked about this before but there are a lot of good teams in the state of Texas that are just a bus ride away.  Plus, a lot of guys are from that state and maybe their families and friends could come and watch them play.  I think ORU will always have a hard time scheduling D1 opponents to come to the Mabee Center, unless they are willing to pay them some good money, which is usually not in the budget.  I do not like all the NAIA games either but that is basically the easiest way to schedule non-conference home games.  Let us face it, most coaches do not want to spend most of their season on the road unless their sports budget is desperate for money.

To name a few teams within a bus ride away....  UNT, TCU, SMU, TTU, UTA, OU, OSU, UofA, WSU, MSU, TU, UCA, UALR

You would think that there are a few home/home series that we could attempt to make with these teams to help with our respective travel costs.  However, when you're flush with cash and you spend it like drunken sailors because it's "other people's money", common sense goes out the door.  I better stop now or I'll start going into my political rants. 🤣

• Haha 2

Just now, Bogus Smith said:

To name a few teams within a bus ride away....  UNT, TCU, SMU, TTU, UTA, OU, OSU, UofA, WSU, MSU, TU, UCA, UALR

You would think that there are a few home/home series that we could attempt to make with these teams to help with our respective travel costs.  However, when you're flush with cash and you spend it like drunken sailors because it's "other people's money", common sense goes out the door.  I better stop now or I'll start going into my political rants. 🤣

Sad Happy Hour GIF

ORU's sports programs may not be rich but it's safe to say with the Sweet 16 run and the 2023 NCAA tournament money that they are in a better state financially then the Eagles have been in awhile.  They are able to build the Mike Carter Center with some of it.  So why not play a few more home games instead of just trying to cash a check from a road game with Power 5 teams.  I think a balanced schedule would be good: a mixture of home and road games, say 6 apiece.  Then just have two NAIA teams on the schedule.  Easier said then done but hopefully the Eagles can pull it off.

The team has a new head coach and some new starters most likely coming from the transfer portal, so ease them into a balanced schedule: that is not too hard or too soft.  Just a thought for discussion.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU's sports programs may not be rich but it's safe to say with the Sweet 16 run and the 2023 NCAA tournament money that they are in a better state financially then the Eagles have been in awhile.  They are able to build the Mike Carter Center with some of it.  So why not play a few more home games instead of just trying to cash a check from a road game with Power 5 teams.  I think a balanced schedule would be good: a mixture of home and road games, say 6 apiece.  Then just have two NAIA teams on the schedule.  Easier said then done but hopefully the Eagles can pull it off.

The team has a new head coach and some new starters most likely coming from the transfer portal, so ease them into a balanced schedule: that is not too hard or too soft.  Just a thought for discussion.

They can Play Evangel University & Oklahoma Wesleyan.