1550 Morning BroadCast with JB Up

Dr. Cornelius

I heard Al Jerkens interview Scott around 11:30 this morning.  It was good.  Al asked about him shaking his head as he was walking toward Bill.  Scott said he was just trying to think of what he would say to him.  They had already discussed that it was hard beating your friend.

It's not only hard beating your friend - but Scott had to know what a blow he had just handed his friend and mentor.  Scott had nothing to lose and everything to win from this game - and Self was in exactly the opposite position.  The fans and media in Lawrence are circling the wagons and aiming their arrows - and you KNOW exactly where they are pointed.  I have to believe that some of these thoughts were going through Scott's mind as he prepared for the handshake.

It's not only hard beating your friend - but Scott had to know what a blow he had just handed his friend and mentor.  Scott had nothing to lose and everything to win from this game - and Self was in exactly the opposite position.  The fans and media in Lawrence are circling the wagons and aiming their arrows - and you KNOW exactly where they are pointed.  I have to believe that some of these thoughts were going through Scott's mind as he prepared for the handshake.

I've been thinking about that today, Blue, and while I KNOW that that had to be an awkward situation for Scott, and maybe for both of them, I'm sure that Bill recognises that while it happened to be his old school, ORU, who he graciously gave a great opportunity to play at the fabled Allen Field House, it could have been ANY mid-major program in the country that he lost to last night.  In some respects, he may prefer to lose to an old friend, that's able to get a little pub out of the deal, than to a coach he hardly knows. 

I don't really know that he would look at it that way, but I bet he would.

I think Coach Sutton just understands that as great of a thing this is for ORU that it is just as bad for Kansas.  We're so excited right now and jumping through the roof while it is the compete opposite side of emotions for KU right now.  For Kansas, it probably feels similar to the Oakland loss did for us.  I know Kansas fell to Nevada last year at home, but fans are going to have a harder time understanding the ORU upset.  Their fans are devastated!

Their fans are devastated!

Tell me about it.    The guy two cubicles over from me is a huge KU fan.  I almost feel badly talking about it around the office.  I was originally going to watch the game with him and some of his buddies at his place.  I?m glad that I wound up making other plans; that would?ve been an awkward  evening. :|