ORU Coaches' Show - 2/28/23

Old Titan

Interesting interviews with Coach Mills (and Coach Musick) Tuesday leading into postseason play.

Surprised to hear Coach Mills say "Max and Conner are not 100%"; says Max "played most of Saturday's game injured".

Also reiterates that being the No. 1 Seed provides no favors in terms of preparation.

Link:

https://oruathletics.com/watch/?Archive=486&type=Archive

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Interesting interviews with Coach Mills (and Coach Musick) Tuesday leading into postseason play.

Surprised to hear Coach Mills say "Max and Conner are not 100%"; says Max "played most of Saturday's game injured".

Also reiterates that being the No. 1 Seed provides no favors in terms of preparation.

Link:

I listened yesterday.  These were good interviews.  I asked Adam about Coach's assistant coaches, which I was grateful for his including in his repertoire of questions during the show.  If you have an hour, and you love ORU basketball (especially at this time of the year), this is a good listen.  Listener's tip of the day.....fast forward through the commercials. 😆

• Upvote 1

We’ve seen the effects of a not 100% max, (last year), if anyone knows and doesn’t want to post publicly, PM me max’s actual status. 

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Link:

Hopefully the full week off helps both of them.! 🙂

• Like 2

It looked like Max was slightly injured on a drive versus SDSU with about 10 minutes to go in the first half.  He was holding his knee as they went to commerical break and then Coach Mills took him out of the game for a few minutes.  Never really looked the same the rest of the game.

33 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It looked like Max was slightly injured on a drive versus SDSU with about 10 minutes to go in the first half.  He was holding his knee as they went to commerical break and then Coach Mills took him out of the game for a few minutes.  Never really looked the same the rest of the game.

Max actually returned to the floor following that timeout, made his two free throws without any obvious issues, but was substituted for immediately, before returning to play about five minutes later. 

While on the sideline during that time, he was standing flat-footed at the end of the bench, reaching down toward his ankles and calves while describing the problem to the trainer.  So, it was hard to tell if it was a lower leg injury or perhaps even a back issue.

I noticed a couple of times in the second half when he drove into the lane that (rather then pulling up and shooting the little 10-foot jumper that has been so good for him this season) he reverted to the running teardrop shot from earlier in the year that was not as successful (then or now). 

Made me wonder if stopping abruptly and exploding upward was not an option due to whatever he was/is dealing with.

• Upvote 1

He also took a hard fall vs NDSU the week before.  Could be an accumulation of issues.