On the Bubble: ORU's At-Large Chances (if needed)

Old Titan

Based on recent events involving other bubble teams, I see very little chance that ORU would receive an at-large bid should they need one.

Too many other schools with Quad 1 wins and equal if not better metrics. 

Great example is the Mountain West:  only one team gets the auto bid, yet FIVE look better on paper than ORU; two actually have WINS over ORU (New Mexico, Utah State, San Diego State, Nevada, and Boise State).

Every one of them has a case for getting in ahead of ORU, and they’re not ALL getting in.

Just win in Sioux Falls, and make this whole exercise academic.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I think we have a very compelling case, with top of the charts averages all over, one of the hottest players in college basketball, one of the tallest, and a cast of scary good role players. I may tend to say, "gotta win to go", but the press seems interested in our story. 

I imagine the committee would have a group of teams that make the case, and I'm wondering if we wouldn't be a team people want to see play? 

Would you rather have a play in game for the 11 seed (after theoretically losing in tourney), or winning out and getting a 9 seed? (All academic obviously, these guys will be ready for the summit tourney, I see us losing before then if anything)

I would rather be a 9 seed.  What a level of respect that would be.  Win your first game and then see what happens against the 1 seed.

With the 11 seed play in, you have to win a game to even make the field of 64.  

39 minutes ago, ORUJason said:

I would rather be a 9 seed.  What a level of respect that would be.  Win your first game and then see what happens against the 1 seed.

With the 11 seed play in, you have to win a game to even make the field of 64.  

Two of the six No. 11 Seeds do not play in Dayton; wouldn't be too bad to be one of that pair...

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Two of the six No. 11 Seeds do not play in Dayton; wouldn't be too bad to be one of that pair...

It also depends on where the at-large bid cutoff falls. Last year, one of the "First Four" games was for an 11 seed and one for a 12 seed, the first time in years it had not been two 11 seeds. 

10 minutes ago, ORUTex said:

It also depends on where the at-large bid cutoff falls. Last year, one of the "First Four" games was for an 11 seed and one for a 12 seed, the first time in years it had not been two 11 seeds. 

Always been fascinated with the prospect of playing in Dayton, though it would suck to be sent there as a champion of the conference tournament.

What's more likely is, IF ORU loses in Sioux Falls AND gets chosen as an at-large, to be sent to Dayton as a No. 12 Seed and one of the "Last Four In", to play somebody like, oh, I don't know - KENTUCKY OR NORTH CAROLINA! 😬

...with the game preceded by No. 16 South Dakota State vs. the SWAC or MEAC tournament champion.

• Upvote 1

Reviewing the NET rankings this morning.  ORU at 38 and above New Mexico who comes in one behind Liberty at 48.  Surging Oklahoma St has a firm grip on the highest NET ranking in Oklahoma having moved all the way up to 29.

KenPom has us at 49 below Liberty who is at 45.

Sagarin's formula gives us the least amount of credit with a ranking of 59 but he has us 2 above Utah St.

Isn't math fun?

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Reviewing the NET rankings this morning.  ORU at 38 and above New Mexico who comes in one behind Liberty at 48.  Surging Oklahoma St has a firm grip on the highest NET ranking in Oklahoma having moved all the way up to 29.

KenPom has us at 49 below Liberty who is at 45.

Sagarin's formula gives us the least amount of credit with a ranking of 59 but he has us 2 above Utah St.

Isn't math fun?

Election Math GIF by John Fetterman

• Haha 2

Hey....Don't blame TheEagleman for this clown being in the US Senate.....I voted for Dr. Oz.......yeah, we didn't have much of a choice.....Image result for Dr Oz or Image result for John Fetterman I would have rather voted for.... Image result for Cosmo Kramer

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Hey....Don't blame TheEagleman for this clown being in the US Senate.....I voted for Dr. Oz.......yeah, we didn't have much of a choice.....Image result for Dr Oz or Image result for John Fetterman I would have rather voted for.... Image result for Cosmo Kramer

Incredible choices 😄

• Haha 1

You got that right, Doc....You Tube the one debate between OZ and Fetterman....Dr. Oz did OK but Fetterman was downright embarrassing....understood that the guy was 3 months off a stroke but it raised the question if he was fit to run....he just couldn't put 2 sentences together and i don't know anybody who voted for him....even healthy Mr. Fetterman is not qualified....but in PA....90% of the votes in Phila, Pittsburgh and Erie all go to the Democrat whether it's Fetterman or Cosmo Kramer......it's a joke and just one of the reasons why TheEagleman will some day relocate to South Carolina......now this is a man i can vote for......Image result for Scott South Carolina Senator

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of "On The Bubble" teams, Kevin Obanor gets good exposure with this photo for an ESPN+ Bubble Watch article.Screenshot2023-03-01at3_40_32PM.png.2e5f9d49882d02853dde4a13b2da962d.png

• Upvote 1

TheEagleman watched TTU at Kansas last night...close game but the Jayhawks pulled it out....Obanor  had his moments....but the Red Raiders won't be dancing unless they score an upset in the Big 12 Tourney.....would love to see how ORU would fare vs. them.....good match up....:tb-blue:

6 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman watched TTU at Kansas last night...would love to see how ORU would fare vs. them.....good match up....:tb-blue:

Let's hope that we don't find out how they would fare in the NIT.  Although it may be the only way we get TTU in the Mabee Center.

15 hours ago, Dave Connor said:

Speaking of "On The Bubble" teams, Kevin Obanor gets good exposure with this photo for an ESPN+ Bubble Watch article.Screenshot2023-03-01at3_40_32PM.png.2e5f9d49882d02853dde4a13b2da962d.png

This article points out just how good the Big 12 is this year, and how next year's additions (Houston, Cinncinnati, BYU, UCF) will might change the landscape (e.g., adding this year's current #1 team? Crazy!). 

Also, this line caught my eye: 

"Even last place Oklahoma has played its way into the top 75 of the NET rankings. As a result, every road game in the Big 12 is a Quadrant 1 contest."

• Upvote 1

Strong words from KenPom on ORU's at large chances....

• Upvote 3

Yeah it's unfair....but ORU needed to win one of those 4 games we lost.....win over UNM or Utah St and it might be a different story.....also would have helped our cause if OSU and TX-Arlington had not pulled out of games a couple months before the season started forcing us into additional contests vs. low level opposition.....hard to believe if we lose vs. SDSU in the Summit Final and finish 29-5 that we don't deserve a bid....but that's what will happen.....ORU will be on that next 4 out list.....the NCAA Selection Committee would rather put the 9th best team in the Big Ten like Penn State at 18-12 in over the best team in the Summit......😬

• Upvote 2