Caleb Green (HOF)

ORUTerry

3 hours ago, Texasgrip said:

“Twenty years ago, TU decided that it would not offer a scholarship to a Memorial prospect. At ORU, Caleb Green became a Hall of Fame athlete.”

Outstanding article from Bill Haisten. He doesn’t mince words about TU’s decision to NOT recruit Caleb Green (and since they don’t recruit the same caliber of athletes as ORU, why would they?), and draws an overt conclusion as to why ORU is enjoying such success while TU flounders. Thank you Bill, and THANK YOU CALEB!

haisten_green_jersey_retirement.jpg

Cracking Up Lol GIF by NBA on TNT

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

haisten_green_jersey_retirement.jpg

Cracking Up Lol GIF by NBA on TNT

Little does Bill know that they have!  That is why you see some similarities in the game operations of a TU game that is customarily seen at ORU.

As to why the disparity in game experiences, @titansforever noted the parking situation.  Talking with a former TU student-athlete recently, he spoke of the great game experience he had watching the Golden Eagles this season and how he was back home within 15 minutes of the end of the game. We would still be hiking to our car 15 minutes after a TU game - and another 20-30 minutes until we reached our homes.  There is no comparison as to where a family-like atmosphere can be had in Tulsa.  The ORU game ops people are second to none in helping families have a great night out.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Little does Bill know that they have!  That is why you see some similarities in the game operations of a TU that are customarily seen at an ORU game.

As to why the disparity in game experiences, @titansforever noted the parking situation.  Talking with a former TU student-athlete recently, he spoke of the great game experience he had watching the Golden Eagles this season and how he was back home within 15 minutes of the end of the game. We would still be hiking to our car 15 minutes after a TU game - and another 20-30 minutes until we reached our homes.  There is no comparison as to where a family-like atmosphere can be had in Tulsa.  The ORU game ops people are second to none in helping families have a great night out.

We also have HOT WATER in the restrooms and plenty of TP at all times. Little things like this mean a lot. And they've been giving away team posters at the games. And of course, they toss the frisbees and mini basketballs, sometimes T-shirts, and drop coupons and stuffed cows (Whataburger and Chick-fil-A, respectively) from the catwalk.

Now, if they would just put the words to Sweet Caroline on the screen so that everyone could truly sing along...

10 minutes ago, titansforever said:

Now, if they would just put the words to Sweet Caroline on the screen so that everyone could truly sing along...

Don't get me started... 🤬

This promotion will NEVER have any charm until the doofus PA guy realizes it's an audience participation moment and NOT "Karaoke Night" at the Trade Winds lounge.

eyJlZGl0cyI6eyJyZXNpemUiOnsid2lkdGgiOjEyODAsImZpdCI6ImNvbnRhaW4ifX0sImtleSI6ImFzc2V0c1wvZW50cmllc1wvdGlraS1iYXJzXC85MDAtOTk5XC85MjJcL3RyYWRlLXdpbmRzLTEuanBnIn0=.webp

• Like 1

So, will the Cupid Shuffle only take place in the stands from now on, like last night's did?

I love the idea of singing "Sweet Caroliiiine, O-R-U" it's great, I hope it stays as a tradition. Seems logical to have the big O - R - U signs, but I guess I haven't seen the cheerleaders using signs like the used to. Point being, It would be more fun if everyone was on the same page when chanting ORU. 

Back in the day, we used to see traveling circus type acts come entertain at halftime. I love that stuff, but definitely not as common anymore. 

Bring back Byron Noodleman!

• Like 1

It isn't just the parking...it is also the product on the floor.  Hard to keep that caustic, acrid, overly critical fan base engaged with three straight sub .500 seasons.

• Like 1

Holy Bleep!!...That's a classic above...TheEagleman's parents used to stay at the Trade Winds Motel when they would drive down to visit TheEagleman at ORU....great memories swimming at the pool....was it over on Peoria or So. Lewis???....guessing it's long gone.....😮

Can't imagine the PA announcer singing Sweet Caroline....ugh....Time for a new announcer....or maybe just bring back the OLD announcer!!! 👍

35 minutes ago, titansforever said:

So, will the Cupid Shuffle only take place in the stands from now on, like last night's did?

They didn't want ANY traffic on the floor last night: Cupid Shuffle or post game. @OKC Eaglesurmised that it was potentially because of the salt on everyone's shoes due to the icy sidewalks.

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Texasgrip said:

They didn't want ANY traffic on the floor last night: Cupid Shuffle or post game. @OKC Eaglesurmised that it was potentially because of the salt on everyone's shoes due to the icy sidewalks.

💯🎯

57 minutes ago, SonofaLegend said:

I love the idea of singing "Sweet Caroliiiine, O-R-U" it's great, I hope it stays as a tradition. Seems logical to have the big O - R - U signs, but I guess I haven't seen the cheerleaders using signs like the used to. Point being, It would be more fun if everyone was on the same page when chanting ORU. 

Back in the day, we used to see traveling circus type acts come entertain at halftime. I love that stuff, but definitely not as common anymore. 

Wish we could - Myron Noodleman, AKA Rick Hader, was one of my favorite halftime entertainers. However, he passed away in 2017. Prior to that he had become somewhat of a celebrity on the Minor League Baseball circuit, known as the Clown Prince of Baseball.

41 minutes ago, SonofaLegend said:

Unfortunately, Myron Noodleman has greased his hair for the last time.  He died in 2017 at the young age of 59.

Those "circus type acts" cost a lot of money for the few minutes that they entertain on the hardwoods between halves.  It is cheaper to get the peewee cheer squads to do their thing at halftime, plus they bring a slew-full of paying customers to see them perform and buy concessions!! 😃💰

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bogus Smith said:

Unfortunately, Myron Noodleman has greased his hair for the last time.  He died in 2017 at the young age of 59.

Those "circus type acts" cost a lot of money for the few minutes that they entertain on the hardwoods between halves.  It is cheaper to get the peewee cheer squads to do their thing at halftime, plus they bring a slew-full of paying customers to see them perform and buy concessions!! 😃💰

The bigger the cheer squad, the better!!!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Holy Bleep!!...That's a classic above...TheEagleman's parents used to stay at the Trade Winds Motel when they would drive down to visit TheEagleman at ORU....great memories swimming at the pool....was it over on Peoria or So. Lewis???....guessing it's long gone.....😮

Harvard Avenue, just north of I-44. 

And it says right there on the marquee:  NO karaoke on Monday nights!!

Untitled 3.jpeg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

Eagleman I figured your folks would be staying at The Camelot.

Camelot Hotel - YouTube

• Like 1

LOL....pretty sure it was the Trade Winds but i do remember that one also.....they tore the Camelot down too?😬

8 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

LOL....pretty sure it was the Trade Winds but i do remember that one also.....they tore the Camelot down too?😬

Yea I think it is the world's largest Quick Trip now.