Caleb Green (HOF)

ORUTerry

59 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Yea I think it is the world's largest Quick Trip now.

It IS a QT, but it isn't the world's largest.  It is ceremoniously designated as QuikTrip #1 as it replaced the first QuikTrip built by Chester Cadieux in 1958 about three blocks south at 52nd & Peoria.

2 hours ago, Bogus Smith said:

Unfortunately, Myron Noodleman has greased his hair for the last time.  He died in 2017 at the young age of 59.

Those "circus type acts" cost a lot of money for the few minutes that they entertain on the hardwoods between halves.  It is cheaper to get the peewee cheer squads to do their thing at halftime, plus they bring a slew-full of paying customers to see them perform and buy concessions!! 😃💰

I read an article at ESPN or USA Today about these acts a couple of years ago (I know "Otis get a life").  They can make as much as $200k a year.  They get their fee PLUS travel expenses.  It is a grind but it is a good living.  If I recall correctly, the legendary Red Panda is the top earner in this very competitive industry. 

17 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

I read an article at ESPN or USA Today about these acts a couple of years ago (I know "Otis get a life").  They can make as much as $200k a year.  They get their fee PLUS travel expenses.  It is a grind but it is a good living.  If I recall correctly, the legendary Red Panda is the top earner in this very competitive industry. 

Which to Bogus's point, makes sense why we don't see them as often. 

The marketing team has been doing a great job this year. I love the trend of multiple half court shot games. Matter of fact, I'd love to attend a game where every game involves a half court shot.

17 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Eagleman I figured your folks would be staying at The Camelot.

Camelot Hotel - YouTube

That's where I stayed when I first visited campus on a cold November day in 1981.

....and I bet you went to dinner at Casa Bonita or My Pi???.....Image result for Casa Bonita Tulsa

• Like 2

Something I've noticed is that the crowd is lingering in the arena after games more than in the past. During the UMKC game we had the good fortune of sitting courtside, and Max was about ten feet from us when he made "The Shot." Afterward, the excitement of the moment caused us to linger a little longer than we normally would. I looked around the arena and many, if not most, fans were lingering just like we were. There was not the rapid clearing (with a little prompting by Mabee Center staff) that has traditionally taken place after games in past seasons. 

That was the case again on Saturday night. People were hanging out in the stands, on the floor, and in the concourse. I headed down to the court with my board, managed to wrangle signatures from Larry Owens and Yemi Ogunoye, and was headed over to get a HOF sig from Caleb when someone in a suit whisked him away on more important business. But by that time some of the ORU players were back out on the court visiting with fans and family and giving pictures and autographs. I even noticed that Coach Crutchfield and a couple of the Omaha players were back out on the court visiting with people (Marquel Sutton is from Tulsa, as most already know). It was a very homecoming-type atmosphere - almost familial - like a family reunion. Some of that may have been due to the HOF celebration, but it really does seem like they have loosened the constraints of getting the arena emptied as quickly as possible. 

Maybe most of that warmth and enthusiasm that causes folks to want to linger comes from winning, but I think it's great that it's being ALLOWED by those in charge of the facilities. For me it's added a dimension that has been missing in past seasons.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

....and I bet you went to dinner at Casa Bonita or My Pi???.....Image result for Casa Bonita Tulsa

Uh-huh.

• Haha 1

Someone should have been making sure Marquel Sutton knows that there is portal that could transfer him back home next year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

You have to wonder what players in our conference think when they come into the Mabee Center with the crowds we have had lately (3,000 to 6,000). These number dwarf anything they see at their home courts or any other conference foe. 

• Like 1

Next year, we should let the visiting teams use the new practice gym so they can see that too.  Just to be nice, of course.

• Haha 4