Close...!

Texasgrip

What a bummer! Looks like the ending was phenomenal!!! I had to settle for watching realtime updates on ESPN.com...was Marquette that good?...gimme some details!!!

Looks like Caleb carried the team based on his numbers. Still, not a bad road trip as long as we take the consolation game...

What a bummer! Looks like the ending was phenomenal!!! I had to settle for watching realtime updates on ESPN.com...was Marquette that good?...gimme some details!!!

Looks like Caleb carried the team based on his numbers. Still, not a bad road trip as long as we take the consolation game...

Caleb was unstoppable, but Novak came through with some big-time plays. ORU struggled from behind the arc.

Marquette actually had the game in hand, but ORU's full court pressure unnerved them into making silly turnovers, and Ken Tutt finally found his stroke with 2 3's (the second of which probably could have been a 4-pt play but the ref didn't call the contact). Marquette played a lot of freshmen and they made some freshmen mistakes down the stretch. James committed the unpardonable sin of fouling Tutt behind the arc, and Ken sunk all 3 FTs to bring the score to 69-71, but then ORU got a little ragged in the final 10 seconds, Bluitt took a poor shot with 5 seconds to go with the score 69-72 - nowhere near the net.

Basically, ORU dug themselves too deep a hole in the 2nd half.

By the way, the refs REALLY let them play - in the first half, especially.

Marquette is rebuilding this year, most the pre-season projections I saw had them in the bottom third of the Big East. Lots of talent but too young right now. ORU is really really missing LSG as I predicted in another thread. Someone besides Green/Tutt has to be able to hit that big shot.

ash =o)

I haven't seen the official stats, but I think we held Novak below his average.

Caleb & Mickey were great. I would have liked to see Larry Owens play more minutes. At least we never gave up!! We sould still end up playing S Carolina tomorrow night. We'll know in a couple of hours. There are a lot more games ahead of us.......

Tight rims caused wild bounces off missed free throws, and somehow Marquette came up with a number of offensive rebounds off of free throws. It was REALLY frustrating to watch. At one point Caleb was even called for over the back on a missed free throw, when he was in th low block position, which seemed like a strange call.

Our defense was pretty good, but theirs was probably better, especially in the second half. Their Novak lived up to his billing - hit several big time threes, while getting easy layups as well.