St. Thomas at ORU

theeagleman5

When the going got tough....Mwamba was the man tonight....a man among boys....a workmanlike 81-69 win over a scrappy bunch of Tommies who will give us all we can handle in the rematch next month....but for now 15-4 deserves a celebratory cocktail....🤩

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

When the going got tough....Mwamba was the man tonight....a man among boys....a workmanlike 81-69 win over a scrappy bunch of Tommies who will give us all we can handle in the rematch next month....but for now 15-4 deserves a celebratory cocktail....🤩

10F0EB53-C840-4416-9781-46FD7CDE66F0.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Give me "Mo Mwamba"!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Give me "Mo Mwamba"!!

And mo D.J.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OKC Eagle said:

I thought Kareem had one of his best games of the season tonight. 

I agree 100% but I would like to see him straighten out whatever is going on at the free throw line. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

I agree 100% but I would like to see him straighten out whatever is going on at the free throw line. 

Exactly, and if I had ORU -12 tonight I would really not be happy about Kareem and Patrick both having 0-2 trips to the line in the last 2:30. 

• Upvote 1

Ahhhhh....exactly why TheEagleman gave up sports betting....lol  😬

• Haha 1

Announced attendance 5684 tonight?  Besting the 5183 from Thursday night?  It's been 15 yrs since Mabee Center has seen those kind of numbers for ORU basketball....wait til students are back....🤩

• Like 2

Lots of new people around my section. I think (hope) people realize that we only have a few more games to experience Max Abmas. He is a joy to watch. 

Max was really solid tonight in so many areas: scoring, rebounding, and passing.  Just a complete game from the senior.  We have been so used to putting up huge scoring numbers the last few games but tonight was truly a team effort.  The defense was solid and St. Thomas hit some really tough threes or this might have been a 20 point win for the Eagles.

On a side note, I just finished watching the game and was really impressed by Bjorkland from the Tommies.  He is 6'6 and dunked on Connor early in the game.  That is very impressive and I cannot remember anyone this year dunking on the big guy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jmg1984 said:

Nice passing which led to balanced scoring for the team. That what great teams do!💪🏀

We saw some of the best team defense and unselfish team offense than we have seen all season. Maybe for a number of seasons. There were some beautiful assists that were dished out by Kareem, Max and McBride. The defensive rotations are getting quicker to the ball.  When that happens you can see what Mills means when he talks about the need for trust among team members. When they deny the middle to the guy with the ball that there will be someone there to block the baseline. The chemistry continues to improve game by game. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Random observations from the game against St. Thomas:

• St. Thomas is a well coached, disciplined team. They are more athletic than last year and will be a tough team to beat at their place. The Tommies are young and will be a power in the league over the next few seasons. 

• I think the Tommies’ strategy to beat ORU was to hound Abmas and make the other players beat them. They also wanted to shoot a lot of three pointers and try to out score us. It looked like they were trying to limit possessions by waiting to run their offense until late in the shot clock. But some of those late possessions were also a result of ORU’s defense limiting their ability to get a shot off. 

• As noted above, I think our defensive effort was good. We were really effective when Mwamba & Weaver were in the game. We also did well with the switches (good communication) and doubling the post. 

• Max was guarded closely (sometimes doubled) which made it difficult to get a shot off. To his credit, Max didn’t force things but made assists to his teammates. I did think the officials allowed a fair amount clutching & grabbing as Max was coming off screens. Coach Mills mentioned how tough they were guarding Max and said we have sets that we can run to get him open - but are waiting to run them when we need to. 
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ORUTerry said:I did think the officials allowed a fair amount clutching & grabbing as Max was coming off screens. Coach Mills mentioned how tough they were guarding Max and said we have sets that we can run to get him open - but are waiting to run them when we need to. 

I thought it was ridiculous how handsy (both defense and offense) the refs let them be. You would think Max would get some home cooking sometimes but the refs were not his friend.  There were several times where Max took shoulders off the ball that just should not be allowed, especially for a superstar. 

• Like 1

They were bumping and grabbing him all night. I don’t blame them; they were testing the refs and the refs weren’t calling it.