Is St. Thomas For Real,and Why Do The Snow Birds Love Them So?

Old Titan

Is it just me, or does the Northern media in general - and Summit League media in particular - harbor collective man-crushes on the Tommies of St. Thomas?

Yes, it's true they currently stand at 11-4 on the season, but their best win is a neutral-court two-pointer over KenPom No. 138 Troy, while two of their losses are to No. 182 Montana and No. 148 Montana State. 

They are also 2-0 in conference, but those conference wins were at home vs. arguably the worst two teams in the league right now in UND and NDSU.

But, it's not just their suspect track record up to now that begs the question.  It's how anxious so many so-called experts appear to feel about the Tommies in general, declaring them already the second-best team in the conference:

Gotta say, I've watched the Tommies play, and was not all that impressed.  Reminded me of a poor man's Liberty.  Not big enough and not athletic enough to hang with the ORU's and UMKC's of the league/world.

Time will tell, but I get the distinct feeling St. Thomas is yet another Northern school that Northern observers would simply prefer to see succeed rather than ORU, for a variety of reasons, not all of which are commendable...

St. Thomas? They stink....Fools' gold... ORU will flick them off the shoulder like a fly...TheEagleman looks forward to our first match up next month...but first let's worry about Omaha and Denver....😎

St. Thomas is impressive because they were in D3 less than two years ago.  First team to go from D3 to D1 in the history of college basketball.  They were able to recruit three 3 star players in basically their first class at the D1 level.  Their coach seems to be making some solid moves.  When the three's are falling then they are a very dangerous team.

Last year they played most Summit League teams close for 30 minutes but then ran out of the gas as games wore on.  Do they have enough depth this year to finish games?  That is the big question for the Tommies.  Sleeper team in the Summit this year.