Omaha - ORU north

Keenan Henderson

10 hours ago, ORU82 said:

Coach on the postgame did talk about being rusty and looking like we were coming off a 10 day layoff.  Second and more important was he talked for a while about how our scouting report had been terrible and that he felt it really cost us in not being prepared.

I also think coach was referring to scouting report being off in this way as opposed to the players not following it. From the post game comments I remember him saying “we have to do a better job scouting as our scouting intel was way off” - that’s not good, but rather learn lessons early in the season than in March. Hopefully we get some help or interns or whomever to scout the opponents better. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Ting said:

I also think coach was referring to scouting report being off in this way as opposed to the players not following it. From the post game comments I remember him saying “we have to do a better job scouting as our scouting intel was way off” - that’s not good, but rather learn lessons early in the season than in March. Hopefully we get some help or interns or whomever to scout the opponents better. 

Not to beat a dead horse (or OT will jump back on the message board before his heart can handle it), but I went back and listened to Coach Mills' post-game comments, and I must admit that I STILL don't know exactly what he meant.  His direct quotes were "we had a bunch of scouting errors tonight" and that "we need to improve our ability to handle a scouting report".  The first quote leans more to a bad scouting report and the second leans more to the team doing a poor job of applying what they learned from the scouting report - but I can see how either quote could be interpreted to support both sides of the coin.  I guess we'll never really know - but I do hope we improve this going forward.  Good teams focus on the details - and on consistent improvement.

On 12/30/2022 at 9:34 PM, TrueBlue82 said:

Not to beat a dead horse (or OT will jump back on the message board before his heart can handle it), but I went back and listened to Coach Mills' post-game comments, and I must admit that I STILL don't know exactly what he meant.  His direct quotes were "we had a bunch of scouting errors tonight" and that "we need to improve our ability to handle a scouting report".  The first quote leans more to a bad scouting report and the second leans more to the team doing a poor job of applying what they learned from the scouting report - but I can see how either quote could be interpreted to support both sides of the coin.  I guess we'll never really know - but I do hope we improve this going forward.  Good teams focus on the details - and on consistent improvement.

Coach Patterson cleared this up during the weekly Coaches Show on Tuesday.  He commented that the guys did a great job of executing the game plan on Saturday at Denver, and that it was a vast improvement over the game at Omaha, where the team did a very poor job of following the scouting report.

I must admit that I am REALLY enjoying the Coaches Show On-Demand option on the ORU Sports Network this year.  Maybe I'm just listening closer because of the excitement of following a 12-3 team, but it seems like the dialogue has been "deeper" (much less "fluff") than in previous years - and I'm learning a lot more about the X's and O's of today's college game.  It makes me appreciate our coaching staff (and Adam) all the more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2