South Dakota 12/21/22

Old Titan

I am not sure we agreed to it. I know we were working to get the time moved up. Maybe we were told the game was postponed for safety issues and could not object.

Not sure when we are going to reschedule this game. We have Thursday/Saturday contests for the rest of the season - except when we play our travel partner UMKC on Jan 7 and Feb 4 (both on Saturday). The problem is that USD has games scheduled for those open dates (Jan 5/Feb 2). What are the chances they just cancel the game - along with SDSU's game with UMKC? Will the league make them travel in January or February for one game? UMKC and ORU finish our seasons playing SDSU/USD. Maybe they make us stay and play them twice up there?

7 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I am not sure we agreed to it. I know we were working to get the time moved up. Maybe we were told the game was postponed for safety issues and could not object.

Right. I was just giving one possibility. Don't know for sure.

But usually in these situations, there is a negotiation. And honestly, if I were in charge, I wouldn't want to play it at noon on a Wednseday, with the students on break.

• Upvote 1

I agree that having the student in attendance is a huge advantage because of the energy they provide. I am just thinking of the logistics and how we fit a game into our schedule. I assume it will be a Monday/Tuesday game at the Mabee Center.

Always the VOICE OF REASON!!!....well said sir and after thinking about it...yes....it's better for the ORU Student Body and fans overall not to have to go out 3 days before Christmas....they can enjoy the home game in Jan/Feb when everyone is back to normal and we do want the Coyotes to get home safely....sounds like the best decision was made for the overall good....God Bless us, everyone!!!    👍

I would have done anything possible to get the game played, if that meant playing at noon with only a few fans then so be it. We are playing great right now; we are healthy and would have gone into Christmas sitting at 2-0 in the conf.

My concern is the Summit league will now be allowed to exercise its discretion in the rescheduling and I have no doubt they will allow just about any accommodation USD wants. Rescheduling is difficult in the best of circumstances, and who knows what they come with, cancelled? play them twice in SD? nothing the Summit does to help them and hurt us would surprise me.

Some teams will be 2-0 after today and we'll be 1-0, not on top of the standings and hoping we can get the game rescheduled.  The game wasn't ideal anyway, let's not try to outsmart the system because it may very well not work out for us like we'd want. Take the bird in hand- It's the Summit league, if they can help the Dakota schools and disadvantage us, they will every stinking time, we shouldn't have given them the chance!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Thinking about this, I agree with you ORU40.  This really is a "bird in hand" situation.  Yes it would be nice to reschedule and play in front of the student body later, but at what price?  Jam up a week by playing Thursday, Saturday and then Sunday?  Have to play back to back at USD?  In the end I think it would have been better to get the game over even if it meant playing in front of only those working at the game and some parents of the players.  If our WBB team is playing in Vermillion today and they moved the game to noon, why not our MBB game as well?  The Lady Eagles will have to travel back from Vermillion just like USD would/will have to travel from Tulsa back to Vermillion.  No difference whatsoever other than playing the game in front of a had full of people.

• Upvote 2

The only good news out of this is that the guys get to go home early for the holidays.  Merry Christmas everyone!

• Upvote 1

I hope that it gets re-scheduled for Monday or Tuesday during the second week of January (9 or 10).  This is USD’s week to play their travel partner (SDSU), so they don’t have another game until Saturday, and could handle the additional travel better than any other date.  And, we have a home game (KC) on Saturday, and then host WIU and STT later in the week, so it should work well for us.  Let’s hope that Mabee Center isn’t booked for both nights.  

The other “logical” choice is the week that USD travels to Omaha/Denver, since those are locations semi-close and/or with easy travel to Tulsa.  But, this occurs in February, and would be within ten days of ORU’s return trip to Vermillion.  I much prefer the January option!

• Upvote 5

True Blue gets the nod for Summit League Schedule maker next season!🤩

• Upvote 5

If I’m not mistaken, ALL the men’s games for Wednesday were postponed.

I love a good conspiracy theory as much as the next guy, but I kinda doubt the Summit League brass went to that much trouble just to mess with ORU. 

In the big picture, the SD schools will be far more inconvenienced than ORU and KC, since they’re the ones that have to squeeze in another road trip somewhere. 

23 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

If I’m not mistaken, ALL the men’s games for Wednesday were postponed.

NDSU played at St. Thomas at noon today.  It was the only one of four scheduled Summit games that was actually played.   NDSU falls to 0-2, and the Tommies lead the conference with a 2-0 start.  

Iowa decided to play their game against Eastern Illinois - and I’m sure regrets doing so. They lost 92 to 83 at home to a really bad team. Iowa was favored by 32.5. Fran McCaffrey won’t be very happy. 

1 minute ago, ORUTerry said:

Iowa decided to play their game against Eastern Illinois - and I’m sure regrets doing so. They lost 92 to 83 at home to a really bad team. Iowa was favored by 32.5. Fran McCaffrey won’t be very happy. 

According to the USA today MBB scores this morning, only 3 games were postponed in the country yesterday. Games were played in MN, the Iowa Hawkeyes played at home, every game in the east and midwest played except the Summitt league games in Macomb IL, KC MO and Tulsa OK! 

The only Womens game postponed in America yesterday was the Summit game, Omaha at Denver.   

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy by the conference, incompetency probably!! It's going to be a long season it they postpone games every time there's bad weather somewhere, the Dakota's may have a nice weekend in about 8 months!!! 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, ORU40 said:

According to the USA today MBB scores this morning, only 3 games were postponed in the country yesterday. Games were played in MN, the Iowa Hawkeyes played at home, every game in the east and midwest played except the Summitt league games in Macomb IL, KC MO and Tulsa OK! 

The only Womens game postponed in America yesterday was the Summit game, Omaha at Denver.   

I'm not saying it's a conspiracy by the conference, incompetency probably!! It's going to be a long season it they postpone games every time there's bad weather somewhere, the Dakota's may have a nice weekend in about 8 months!!! 

It is probably the inexperience of a new conference commissioner and his member school presidents/ADs attempting to control the agenda.  Granted, air transportation was a disaster today, and the ability to move your travel plans up a day during Christmas week more than likely impossible, but that should have been thought through more thoroughly when someone had the bright idea to start the conference schedule on the week of Christmas and the first day of winter. The presidents and bureaucrats will have to realize that their media friends are hyperventilating over some cold weather (it's winter for goodness sake!) in order to get eyeballs on their weather reports.  Do we cancel baseball games when it is over 100 degrees outside? 🤔

• Upvote 4

What really makes no sense to me is having our WBB team play at USD in Vermillion, SD while USD's MBB team can't show up in Tulsa, Oklahoma?  Can someone explain the math to me and tell me like you are addressing a 6 year old.  SMH.  One other thing, why not have USD show up in Tulsa this coming Tuesday or Wednesday to play the game?  Yes there may not be much of a crowd but we would also not be jamming up the rest of the season trying to cram another game into an already packed schedule.

11 hours ago, ORU82 said:

What really makes no sense to me is having our WBB team play at USD in Vermillion, SD while USD's MBB team can't show up in Tulsa, Oklahoma?  Can someone explain the math to me and tell me like you are addressing a 6 year old.  SMH.  One other thing, why not have USD show up in Tulsa this coming Tuesday or Wednesday to play the game?  Yes there may not be much of a crowd but we would also not be jamming up the rest of the season trying to cram another game into an already packed schedule.

I rarely find myself as an apologist of the league office, but here’s how it makes sense to me. ORUWBB played at noon on Wednesday, finished around two, and would have been on the road for the eight hour drive to Tulsa in time to arrive before midnight. The storm didn’t hit Vermillion until Wednesday evening and Tulsa Thursday morning, so ORUWBB was in the clear.  If the men had played in Tulsa at noon, the USD team would’ve had the same scenario, except some travel challenges close to their home (since the storm came from the north and arrived there before midnight). But, playing Wednesday night would’ve meant for the USD men to either travel overnight (mostly in the storm), or leave Thursday morning, when road conditions would’ve been brutal for the entire trip.

And, while we can all debate whether a storm should cause a postponement of games, I do somewhat sympathize with the league officials who have to deal with a media (as Bogus described) that raise public fears with terms like “bomb cyclone” and even naming the storms before they hit (Elliot) to raise awareness (and fear).  From a public relations perspective, the league would be absolutely skewered if there was an unfortunate incident, and would be held accountable since they “should have known better”.  And, it would only be amplified, being the week before Christmas.

Good explanation TrueBlue82.  However, I would have insisted that the MBB game be moved to a Noon start time on the same date just like WBB and play it to simply get it out of the way. The League did that with the WBB game by moving it to a Noon start time from early evening, why not do the same with MBB?  Sorry for the rant and I do realize this is all a moot point at this time.