Watching games this season

Otis 83

I restarted my ESPN+ subscription the day of the Houston game.  Expect a Miracle, right!  A day or two later I was reviewing the schedule at oruathletics.com and didn't see any other games with the ESPN+ tag on them.  This made me think I should turn off the subscription until the Summit League conference tournament.

So I did some poking around on our opponents website and will share what I've found in the near term.

• Utah State - The game will be streamed on the Mountain West Network app.  It appears that app works on most streaming hardware platforms.
  • Tulsa - will be streamed on ESPN+ per the TU website.  Why our website doesn't indicate that is a little frustrating.
  • Omaha - will be streamed on www.oumavs.com, I don't see evidence of a paywall.
  • Denver - like Omaha it appears we can watch for free on www.denverpioneers.com

That takes us to the end of the year so I'll stop there.  Obviously all home games will be on ORUSN.  If there seems to be interest I'll update later in December for the new year.

So here’s my rant, Eagleman you knew there had to be a rant, right?  I shouldn't have to work this hard.  The Summit League should have an app like the Mountain West has  All the schools stream their games on that app and it is easy for fans of the league to watch games.  It can't be that hard.  My daughter is a D2 scholarship athlete at a school I'd never heard of before the coach called her.  Her dinky conference in the Carolinas has an app.  For crying out loud I can stream Acrobatics and Tumbling from Gaffney SC on the Carolinas conference app but not my D1 alma mater's conference.  Good grief.  I know, I know, the XDSUs have their deal with Cheese Curd Sports so this will never happen.  Maybe the rest of us could have a league app?  I'll hang up and listen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, I think MidCo Sports is both the current problem and the future solution, unfortunately.  They are so in bed with the conference office it's hard to see where one entity ends and the other begins. 

Until the new commissioner can (chooses to?) wield whatever powers he has, rather than pandering to MidCo Sports, Sanford Health, and the Sioux Falls Chamber of Commerce on every decision, this league will continue to be the Dakota Conference on most issues, including broadcast rights.

• 1 month later...

Well friends, it looks like we've entered the time of the season when I will turn off my ESPN+ subscription.  Looking over the schedule we've got 

• Denver - broadcast behind their paywall
  • New Mexico - available on the Mountain West network on your streaming device (wish we had a Summit League network)
  • UMKC - free on their website (thank you KC!)
  • St Thomas - free on their website (thank you Tommies!)
  • Western Illinois - I can't find video for this event

I left the Dakota schools out of my analysis as they will be covered by MidCo sports.  I'll have to figure out my wife's bunco schedule before deciding if I want to pick up a MidCo subscription for a month or two.

It does appear that the MidCo games are on ESPN+.  I found the upcoming St. Thomas @ SDSU game on the app.  Sorry for the misinformation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

Well friends, it looks like we've entered the time of the season when I will turn off my ESPN+ subscription.  Looking over the schedule we've got 

• Denver - broadcast behind their paywall
  • New Mexico - available on the Mountain West network on your streaming device (wish we had a Summit League network)
  • UMKC - free on their website (thank you KC!)
  • St Thomas - free on their website (thank you Tommies!)
  • Western Illinois - I can't find video for this event

I left the Dakota schools out of my analysis as they will be covered by MidCo sports.  I'll have to figure out my wife's bunco schedule before deciding if I want to pick up a MidCo subscription for a month or two.

I thought when the new Summit commissioner was announced his big push was going to be for a league wide over the top video service (Roku, Apple, etc.) but that hasn't happened.

The Summit really needs to mandate that EVERY team show their games online in some form.

On 11/18/2022 at 10:02 AM, Otis 83 said:

For crying out loud I can stream Acrobatics and Tumbling from Gaffney SC on the Carolinas Conference app but not my D1 alma mater's conference.  Good grief.  I know, I know, the XDSUs have their deal with Cheese Curd Sports so this will never happen.  Maybe the rest of us could have a league app?  I'll hang up and listen.

From my original rant.  It's not that hard unless you have an 800 pound guerilla in the form of MidCo sports and the Dakota schools.

I spoke briefly with the commissioner when he was in town for the SDSU game and asked him about plans for league wide media package. He said they are working on a ‘digital’ plan and said the announcement could be made ‘soon’. I assume we have to get the assent of the Dakota schools/MidCo Sports

49 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

My app is showing the Jan 19/21 weekend series at UND and NDSU as both ESPN+ games, so I may hold on for another month.

Just now, TrueBlue82 said:

My app is showing the Jan 19/21 weekend series at UND and NDSU as both ESPN+ games, so I may hold on for another month.

Thanks TrueBlue82.  I did a search on Oral Roberts in my app and nothing came up.

• 3 weeks later...

Following your advice, Otis, I came here first, to anticipate the broadcast of Thursday night’s game versus NDSU…. looking for a plan for how I might stream and cast to be able to watch on the TV. Perhaps we need this thread pinned so it would always be at the top of the list rather than in 21st place as it was when I signed on just now.  

Was glad to learn it will be on ESPN+ as we find that to be the most reliable and least frustrating. 

• Like 1

ORU at NDSU should be on ESPN2 but those morons in Bristol CT keep showing the same 15-20 teams every week....are you sick of Duke, Michigan and Arkansas yet??? Zzzzzzzzz😴

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ttowncount said:

Following your advice, Otis, I came here first, to anticipate the broadcast of Thursday night’s game versus NDSU…. looking for a plan for how I might stream and cast to be able to watch on the TV. Perhaps we need this thread pinned so it would always be at the top of the list rather than in 21st place as it was when I signed on just now.  

Was glad to learn it will be on ESPN+ as we find that to be the most reliable and least frustrating. 

Always happy to be of service, especially to you. You were a big part of the good education I received that prepared me for success in the business world. 

• Upvote 4

• ORUTerry pinned this topic

Thought it might be a good time for an update.  Hope everyone enjoyed the crystal clear stream on ESPN+ last night.  Here are your options for upcoming road games as best as I can determine them.

• North Dakota - back on ESPN+
  • UMKC - streaming on kcroos.com/watch  There does not appear to be a paywall.  I started an on demand stream of a Lady Roos game.
  • St Thomas - streaming available on tommiesports.com  Our game is on their schedule with the notation "free"
  • WIU - I don't see a video streaming option on their basketball schedule.  In fact the only time I see a "Watch" link on their schedule is on their road games.  Come on Leathernecks!

I'm expecting the final two games to in South Dakota will be back on ESPN+.  I will try to confirm as we get closer to those games.  So with the last two Dakota games within the next month and the Summit League tournament shortly thereafter Disney gets my money for at least another month.  

Go Golden Eagles!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2023 at 5:50 PM, Otis 83 said:

• WIU - I don't see a video streaming option on their basketball schedule.  In fact the only time I see a "Watch" link on their schedule is on their road games.  Come on Leathernecks!

I'm expecting the final two games to in South Dakota will be back on ESPN+.  I will try to confirm as we get closer to those games.  So with the last two Dakota games within the next month and the Summit League tournament shortly thereafter Disney gets my money for at least another month.  

Go Golden Eagles!!!

In anticipation of this weekend’s road games, here’s what I’ve discovered:

1.  The men’s game on Saturday vs Western Illinois is scheduled for 2 p.m. (rather than the 7 p.m. to which we have grown accustomed).  Wouldn’t want you to miss it!

2. Here’s a link that might work for the WI game:

https://goleathernecks.com/coverage

3.  Aahh, appears the broadcast is on ESPN+.  Yea!

5BA07F8A-5A9E-460E-9949-FEF8AA7886EB.jpeg

1E271767-D301-4C90-9B31-E9F391167AB7.jpeg

3B64E09A-9E12-41D6-B034-4D375F508AF7.jpeg

Edited by ttowncount
Updated info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...