ORU Coaches Show

Old Titan

The inaugural ORU Coaches Show of the year is at NOON TODAY (Thursday, 11/17) at Waldo's Chickens.

This tweet does not say how to listen in; no clue if it's on 99.9FM or only on the ORU Sports Network, or what... 🙄

When I tweeted @ORUMBB re: how/where to tune-in, I received this response:

"The show will be recorded and aired on ORUSN later today. Must attend in person for live viewing. Hope to see you there!"

Is that new this season?

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

When I tweeted @ORUMBB re: how/where to tune-in, I received this response:

"The show will be recorded and aired on ORUSN later today. Must attend in person for live viewing. Hope to see you there!"

Is that new this season?

Yes it is! 

1 hour ago, Ting said:

Coach said Trey was a top 50 shooter last year…

Top 50 at ORU? or the Summit league? because he loses a lot of credibility if he's saying nationally!! Because he's shooting a solid 12.5% from the field (2-16) this year and an equally impressive 12.5% (1-8) on 3's this year, maybe he was a way better shooter last year and forgot!!!

Or, and call me cynical, coach is trying DESPERATLY to justify the minutes our 6th man is getting despite VERY little production!!

Cut the cord with Trey coach, play our best!! It's beyond obvious!! We could be good with the right rotation!!! Go Eagles

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Good to see that the show is now a video instead of just audio.  Coach Mills even wearing glasses, old four eyes!

11 hours ago, dave said:

Does ORU not have a radio deal this year?

ESPN 99.9FM in Tulsa, the sister station of the Sports Animal Tulsa, but sadly sister does not offer streaming; for that you must use the ORU Sports Network.

16 hours ago, ORU40 said:

Top 50 at ORU? or the Summit league? because he loses a lot of credibility if he's saying nationally!! Because he's shooting a solid 12.5% from the field (2-16) this year and an equally impressive 12.5% (1-8) on 3's this year, maybe he was a way better shooter last year and forgot!!!

Or, and call me cynical, coach is trying DESPERATLY to justify the minutes our 6th man is getting despite VERY little production!!

Cut the cord with Trey coach, play our best!! It's beyond obvious!! We could be good with the right rotation!!! Go Eagles

Coach Mills did in fact refer to TP as "one of the top 50 shooters in the country last season", which by some statistical measure is likely accurate.

If I may be so bold, I don't think it takes a psychiatrist to imagine what Coach Mills sees in TP:  himself, at that age, if given the chance to play.  Simply put, if you've seen the movie, TP is Coach Mills' "avatar". 

I think it's wasted effort thinking TP won't keep getting significant playing time; hopefully he will make the most of it.  #ItIsWhatItIs

Phipps will probably score double digits vs. OBU tomorrow night......😉:hc_mills:😜

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Coach Mills did in fact refer to TP as "one of the top 50 shooters in the country last season", which by some statistical measure is likely accurate.

If I may be so bold, I don't think it takes a psychiatrist to imagine what Coach Mills sees in TP:  himself, at that age, if given the chance to play.  Simply put, if you've seen the movie, TP is Coach Mills' "avatar". 

I think it's wasted effort thinking TP won't keep getting significant playing time; hopefully he will make the most of it.  #ItIsWhatItIs

Wow, that's a new one OT! I've been in and around basketball for a long, long time. I've never heard of a coach playing a guy who has many deficiencies in his all-round game but gets significant playing time because he's supposedly "one of the top 50 shooters in the country last season" even though he shot 41.6% from the field last year and under 40% from 3 and is at 12.5% this year in both categories... yet is still the teams 6th man because he's the coach's "avatar"!!  😂

Makes as much sense as any other reason I guess!! #ItIsWhatItIs

21 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Wow, that's a new one OT! I've been in and around basketball for a long, long time. I've never heard of a coach playing a guy who has many deficiencies in his all-round game but gets significant playing time because he's supposedly "one of the top 50 shooters in the country last season" even though he shot 41.6% from the field last year and under 40% from 3 and is at 12.5% this year in both categories... yet is still the teams 6th man because he's the coach's "avatar"!!  😂

Makes as much sense as any other reason I guess!! #ItIsWhatItIs

• Eddie Sutton w/ Sean Sutton
  • Billy Tubbs w/ Tommy Tubbs
  • Tubby Smith w/ Saul Smith

The list goes on and on; doesn't matter whether the player is related to the coach or not, it's just that coaches sometimes get enamored with guys who can apparantly "do no wrong" in their eyes.

I could never understand Scott Sutton's unflagging devotion to Luke Spencer-Gardner, as many on this forum can attest.  I thought he was an average player who stole minutes from more talented guys, but he was a fixture in the starting line-up all four years he was here.

Because you know who didn't agree with me?  Scott Sutton! (lol)

Trey is getting less minutes this year, only about 16 compared to almost 21 last year.  So he is number 8 in minutes for the team.  DJ and Patrick have been playing more of the six man roles off the bench this year.  Do you think Cam and Williams (nickname is Juice) are ready for 15-20 minutes versus D1 teams?  Not sure about that either.  Until Sir Isaac returns, Trey will still get his minutes.  After that maybe things change.  As long as Coach starts four guards, then he will need at least one guard to come in off the bench.  Coach also likes that Trey has experience and has been around the program longer than say Cam or Juice.  Usually freshman or red shirt freshman have to earn that playing time, especially early in the season.  

• 3 weeks later...

Latest installment of the Paul Mills show on the ORU Sports Network:

https://oruathletics.com/watch/?Archive=418&category=7&type=Archive

Points of interest:

• Coach Mills admits he doesn't ever attend the Final Four.  (Which might explain why the non-conference schedule takes until October to finalize these days.  Having hung out in a few Regionals and Final Four hotel headquarter lobbies & bars over the years, I can tell you there are predominantly two topics of discussion amongst all the coaches:  job openings, and scheduling.  Opportunities lost if no members of the ORU staff are networking at these mixing pots.)
  • Says it helps there's no school during this stretch of so many games in a short period of time.
  • Points out that the positive response in the quick turnaroud at Texas Southern following the beat down at Houston taught him a lot about this team.
  • Personally scouted each previous Tulsa game played this season in it's entirety TWICE leading up to the Mayor's Cup last Saturday.
  • Felt like they left some meat on the bone at TU in terms of "the bigger picture" of winning on the road.  Translated:  TU was so bad they could not take advantage of ORU miscues that need to be tightened up.  Said they "could live with" TU successfully feeding the post one-on-one as opposed to letting TU shoot threes (where have we seen THIS defensive philosophy jump up and bite the Golden Eagles before??)
  • Admitted that the current philosophy with this roster is to NOT crash the offensive boards with as many guys as they could, but that they sent more vs. TU.
  • Credited Emily Jones with organizing the ORU student turnout in the Reynolds Center.
  • Says ORU needs to get to the free throw line more often by getting to the rim more, with more cutting (yes!), and not just getting the shot blocked.
  • Says Patrick Mwamba is a "cannonball" with his energy, earning a #CARE t-shirt along with Max for his efforts at TU.
  • Upvote 1

I appreciated sharing the Paul Mill's Show.

Good thoughts on what they are working on now and in the future.