RIP Former Trickey Assistant Dwayne “Moose” Roe

Old Titan

Former Ken Trickey assistant Dwayne “Moose” Roe has passed away; here’s a repost of a group text from fellow Trickey assistant Jack Sutter re: his old running mate with the “Titans”:

I got some sad news today of the passing of my long time friend and colleague Dwayne "Moose" Roe.

Moose and I were on an outstanding basketball staff at Oral Roberts University with Ken Trickey (HC) and Art Polk from 1970-74. ORU went from an NAIA program to a Top 20 D1 program in just four years. (Impossible to do today with the NCAA rules.)

Moose was responsible for scheduling a lot of the D1 schools we needed to play to qualify as a D1 program. No one wanted to play that "little ole Bible" school from Tulsa with all of those great athletes. (Certainly not OU, OSU, or Tulsa.) We played in two NIT's and was runner-up to Kansas in the Mid-West Regional in 1974.

Moose had a great mind for basketball and loved to talk X and O's. He was also one of the funniest people I ever knew. He loved to tell stories and would until the wee hours of the morning. He and his family lived in the dorm with our ORU athletes and was the "dorm dad" in every sense of the word.

Moose and I would get in the back of our private plane we took to all of our away games and talk about recruiting, offenses/defenses, and just enjoy the time together. The trips always went faster with Moose as a travel partner. I will miss my friend but cherish the memory. RIP 

• Upvote 1

Ahhhh....TheEagleman remembers Big Moose Roe very fondly...a funny funny guy with a big heart who played an important role in ORU's meteoric rise to NCAA D-1 Basketball prominence. RIP Coach Roe!!! 😪

• Like 1