John Brown at ORU

theeagleman5

A Friday night Homecoming match up between the Golden Eagles of John Brown(2-2) and the Golden Eagles of ORU(0-1)......also our home opener so there should be a healthy crowd of students and Alums....and likely a bunch of JBU fans.......this one should be a little different than the Monday Night game at St. Mary's.....TheEagleman sets the line at -48.5 for the Home Team and Coach Mills should be emptying the bench in the 2nd half so the Good Guys can rest up for Houston and Texas Southern on the road early next week......TheEagleman is abstaining from any wagers for the remainder of 2022 but I feel that ORU should still cover even playing 2nd and 3rd stringers later in this contest..  ORU 109 John Brown 60.....:circle-logoi:

ORU will make a ton of threes and dunks and some on this forum will consider that a sure-fire sign that everything is now right in the world.

To which I will respond...

200.gif

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

ORU will make a ton of threes and dunks and some on this forum will consider that a sure-fire sign that everything is now right in the world.

To which I will respond...

200.gif

I guess the question then becomes…. What would it take to make you feel like everything is now right in the world? Because I will take a bunch of threes and dunks! 🤣

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

I guess the question then becomes…. What would it take to make you feel like everything is now right in the world? Because I will take a bunch of threes and dunks! 🤣

I'm actually a fan of playing a couple of non-D1 games early in the season to work out the kinks.  

Let's just not let Friday's inevitable fireworks show trick us into thinking this team doesn't have some serious issues that Houston will likely expose to the hilt (defense, rebounding, shot selection, etc.) barring some exceptional coaching and performance turnarounds this week.

With all love, I would be happy with just sub-double digit losses in BOTH games on the Texas swing.

But in the meantime, I will try to enjoy Friday for what is in every sense of the word:  an exhibition.

• Like 1

Hoping we get to see some more of D Williams and maybe even the freshmen Cam.  If Cam does not see action then he is most likely being red shirted this year.  

Is anyone going to all the Homecoming events this weekend including: the pregame events where you get to meet the coaches (think it costs like 20).  I had hoped to come down for the weekend but just was not in the budget.  Hope to get back soon (class of 05)

4 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Hoping we get to see some more of D Williams and maybe even the freshmen Cam.  If Cam does not see action then he is most likely being red shirted this year.  

Cam playing against every non-D1 opponent on the schedule has no bearing on his redshirt status; he can play in (I think) up to 25 percent of the games on the schedule and still not lose his freshman year.

On 11/9/2022 at 7:33 PM, Keenan Henderson said:

Is anyone going to all the Homecoming events this weekend 

I hear Brother Bob Stamps will be at Homecoming to speak!

(now I hear via video)

Go on boy!

On 11/9/2022 at 4:10 PM, Old Titan said:

I'm actually a fan of playing a couple of non-D1 games early in the season to work out the kinks.  

Let's just not let Friday's inevitable fireworks show trick us into thinking this team doesn't have some serious issues that Houston will likely expose to the hilt (defense, rebounding, shot selection, etc.) barring some exceptional coaching and performance turnarounds this week.

With all love, I would be happy with just sub-double digit losses in BOTH games on the Texas swing.

But in the meantime, I will try to enjoy Friday for what is in every sense of the word:  an exhibition.

💯🎯

FIVE LITTLE THINGS I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO TONIGHT:

1. The smell of popcorn
  2. Song selections of the new band leader
  3. Excited student section
  4. Cup holders
  5. Seeing old (and I do mean old) friends

FIVE LITTLE THINGS I COULD DO WITHOUT TONIGHT:

1. Any promotion involving dizziness, nausea, or potential brain trauma
  2. Music so loud you can’t carry on a conversation with the person sitting next to you.
  3. Suzy Snowflake crowned at halftime
  4. Anyone with a wireless mic during timeouts whose job description contains the word “hype”.
  5. ”Whoop, whoop!!”
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

John Brown is hanging around....they will cover my spread easily....hoping the Good Guys are saving it all for Monday Night at #3 Houston....😬

John Brown had zero FTs??? 😲

31 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

John Brown had zero FTs??? 😲

ORU only had two fouls in the whole game, that must be some sort of school record.  Coach talked about playing defense without fouling but they seemed afraid to play tough defense.  Eagles get out rebounded by four tonight and that is a big concern.  Max is once again the leading rebounder for the second straight game.  Somebody has to step up and hit the boards.

Good to see some of the new guys play.   D Williams has good size and scored his first points of his career.  Cam is a shooter and just missed on a couple of threes.  Nice three from the walk on Shannon at the end.  Anybody know why Patrick did not play tonight?  He looked fine and was dressed in his uniform.  Really could have used his toughness tonight because it was almost non exist versus John Brown.  A win is a win but ORU has a long way to go this season.

2 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

ORU only had two fouls in the whole game, that must be some sort of school record.  Coach talked about playing defense without fouling but they seemed afraid to play tough defense.  Eagles get out rebounded by four tonight and that is a big concern.  Max is once again the leading rebounder for the second straight game.  Somebody has to step up and hit the boards.

Good to see some of the new guys play.   D Williams has good size and scored his first points of his career.  Cam is a shooter and just missed on a couple of threes.  Nice three from the walk on Shannon at the end.  Anybody know why Patrick did not play tonight?  He looked fine and was dressed in his uniform.  Really could have used his toughness tonight because it was almost non exist versus John Brown.  A win is a win but ORU has a long way to go this season.

Patrick is still hurt and coach said he shouldn’t have played last game, hopefully he is able to play at houston. 

Best crowd jeer of the officials tonight: ORU was called for their 2nd of two fouls with around 8 min to go in the game, and a guy behind me yelled, "C'mon! Call it both ways!" 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ORU just seemed out of it for most of tonight's game.  They did finally come alive with 10 minutes to go and only led by maybe 12 to go on a 20 plus run at the end.  For most of the game, John Brown out rebounded, out hustled, and outplayed the Golden Eagles.  Every game we see how much the Golden Eagles miss Lufile and his toughness.  Clover often looked lost again on defense but did recover to block three shots.  Not sure what it will take to light a fire under this team. 

6 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Not sure what it will take to light a fire under this team. 

I don’t get where the whole “the sky is falling” mantra is coming from… ORU lost by 8 to a St Mary’s team who just beat a really good Vermont team by 26 (who by the way is about 20 spots higher than ORU in Kenpom). I think the players were a little tight coming out of the gate tonight and did not establish themselves in the paint early tonight, but eventually finished the game the right way. 

UH and TSU will be an unbelievable test. UH obviously is an elite defensive team who is very physical. And Texas Southern traditionally does not get to play a lot of home games in November and December. Playing them on back-to-back nights after expending a lot of energy the night before is a really tough challenge! I’m excited about this team. They have key leadership and lots of experience. 

I agree with Keenan - tonight was a pretty disappointing performance. Obviously we won pretty handily and a game like this is really not a great indicator of ANYTHING. I get that. 

But man is there still a lot to work on defensively. We just look bad. I was really hopeful after a summer and pre-season focused on defense, we’d be a different team. But we aren’t. We’re just not capable of keeping anybody out of the paint. I know we only allowed 62 points, but it sure felt like more. 

I am discouraged.