Open Practice - Tuesday, October 25th, 4:15pm

Old Titan

Here is my take on the practice: Max and Macky will be 2 of the best guards in the country. Kareem, Carlos, and DJ looked solid. Connor looks good but not real comfortable in our offense. That should come in time. Sir Isaac looks more confident and is improved as does Nate Clover. Patrick wasn’t at full speed but no doubt he will be a special player and make an immediate impact. Demari is very athletic but needs real time minutes to gain more confidence. Trey looked decent but I would be surprised if he gets a lot of minutes. Lastly Cam is going to be a special player but may not play a lot because our guard play is so deep. Should be a fun season as we watch this group progress.

• Upvote 5

With our exceptional depth at the guard position this year, I wonder if they have considered red-shirting Cam. 

9 hours ago, Dave Connor said:

With our exceptional depth at the guard position this year, I wonder if they have considered red-shirting Cam. 

• Like 1

I like this move if Cam was in solid agreement. Cameron seems to be picking up the offense and was really vocal on defense, but obviously will take some time to adjust and will probably be working on defense and adding strength. Coaches and other players were giving him defensive tips at the open practice. Mills halted practice to go and show him personally how to defend an opposing player posting him up. We could have a 6’4-6’5 PG next year (or maybe McBride is the PG and Cam is the 2)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Ting said:

I like this move if Cam was in solid agreement. Cameron seems to be picking up the offense and was really vocal on defense, but obviously will take some time to adjust and will probably be working on defense and adding strength. Coaches and other players were giving him defensive tips at the open practice. Mills halted practice to go and show him personally how to defend an opposing player posting him up. We could have a 6’4-6’5 PG next year (or maybe McBride is the PG and Cam is the 2)

In the two practices I've seen, no one shot the three any better than Cam, including Trey, Mackie, and (gasp!) Max.

That being said, he could not guard any of us (and I don't know about you guys, but my crossover isn't what it used to be, so that's a pretty low bar).

Smart move to redshirt:  it will either help down the road as an upper-classman, or if he blows up Max-style in three years, he may already have his degree.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My understanding is that the tweet mentioned above is an NIL opportunity called “RedshirtNIL”. It’s not an announcement that Cam is redshirting this season. 

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

My understanding is that the tweet mentioned above is an NIL opportunity called “RedshirtNIL”. It’s not an announcement that Cam is redshirting this season. 

Why would anyone who is not reshirting affiliate themselves with a group calling itself "RedShirtNIL"?

And why would an NIL company calling itself "RedShirtNIL" expect to sign anyone who isn't redshirting?

What's next on the national NIL horizon:  "BenchSitterNIL"?  "BigBustNIL"?  "CriminalRecordNIL"?

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

That being said, he could not guard any of us (and I don't know about you guys, but my crossover isn't what it used to be, so that's a pretty low bar).

For most of us that is a very low bar OT, but there is one member on the board we couldn't expect Cam or anyone else on the team to be able to shut down!

@Otis 83I’m in and I still have all of my eligibility. My resume includes a C league intramural championship and I was also the back up power forward on a church league 6 foot and under championship team. I can flat out set a screen and get you some rebounds. 

You can't argue with that resume!!! Otis you're the man!!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

When Carlos Jürgens decided to take a redshirt his sophomore year, he told me that he was committed to stay with ORU for his college basketball career, and that the redshirt year was part of his plan for success. Carlos has probably talked with Cam about his decision. It looks like it was a good choice for Carlos.

In 1995, when Chad Wilkerson came to ORU, he and his family agreed with Bill Self that a red-shirt freshman year would be good for him. However, early into his freshman season, the coaches decided to start playing him. His senior year, Chad was the Mid-Con Player of the Year, and everyone involved agreed that it was a mistake to play Chad during his freshman year. I hope they make the right decision for Cam. I think a redshirt for this season would be a good choice.

• Upvote 1