Intrasquad scrimmage video 10/13/22

Old Titan

• Old Titan changed the title to Intrasquad scrimmage video 10/13/22

Oh yeah....there's A TON to like.....do I hear anyone for 25+ wins?!?!?!?......Image result for george costanza photos

ORU should have some deep depth this year. So looking forward to seeing the new talent. 

Thanks for posting OT!  Watching Connor score inside and out, need to see that this season. There is no way Max can guard the 6'6 Williams from Arizona State.  The rookie Cam looks pretty solid too (took McBride to the rack).  No doubt about it, this team has a lot of talent.

4 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Thanks for posting OT!  Watching Connor score inside and out, need to see that this season. There is no way Max can guard the 6'6 Williams from Arizona State.  The rookie Cam looks pretty solid too (took McBride to the rack).  No doubt about it, this team has a lot of talent.

I would have liked to have seen Williams switch to his left hand for that last layup over Max....That was really the only thing I DIDN'T like.  Let's go-the North Alabama chapter of the Golden Eagle Fan Club is ready and excited to crank up the season!  

Did not see DJ Weaver in the video.  Carlos looked very aggressive getting to the basket.  Williams is somewhat like Carlos in that he likes to use his size on the wing to get to the basket, also.  Carlos was so solid in that run to the Sweet 16, let's see if he can bring that level of play in his senior season!

26 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Did not see DJ Weaver in the video.  

dj.thumb.jpg.6bd00a5dfdff480d32bad87003ff12da.jpg

• Upvote 2

Very big fan of Williams the transfer from Arizona st. Think he may be the best defensive player on the team and better scorer than he was in high school. Nice addition to the team. ( I Hope!:))

2 hours ago, eagle88 said:

OT after watching the scrimmage what is your take on the team?

Oh, I wasn’t there - that video is an ORU Athletic Dept. production in a tweet from early Thursday. 

A lot of good stuff in this video, but that is by design. You saw what they wanted you to see lol. We got a glimpse of everything, Max, some 3s from Big Skinny, and some new faces. It was put out to there to get folks excited. But lets keep it 💯, this is a highlight tape and as the old adage goes, everyone looks good in preseason. 

Now, I do believe this could be a special year. But there's work to be done. 

• Upvote 2

Lots of images of guys getting all the way to the rim with little to no defense in the vicinity to stop them. Love it!

1 hour ago, ORUFan2009 said:

Does OT want to change his prediction now? 😜 

Lots of things to like about this year's team; just don't think it's any better than third place for the following reasons:

• Not enough length and physicality in the backcourt (which will show on defense).
  • Not enough depth in the front court (missing Lufile already).
  • "Threes Before Twos" offense that does not travel that well on the road.
  • Cavalier defensive attitude that leaves the team susceptible to the oddball upset at home (has everyone forgotten the 25-point halftime lead Western Illinois enjoyed in the Mabee Center last February?)
  • Coaches in the league, particularly in the Dakotas, who figured out how to contain Abmas last season (remember the job SDSU's Mayo and Easley did on Max in Brookings?   They're both back...)

12-6 in the league; maybe a 20-win season.  That ain't bad; that's realistic!

• Like 1

TheEagleman will have to defer to Old Titan on this one as I think we all should....the guy has been around ORU basketball for 50 years and understands the program in and out as well as anyone.....we are a mid major with an up and down track record in the Summit League....our friends in the Dakotas are tough to beat especially at home and for the most part have no fear of playing at Mabee Center...our home advantage over the past decade has been minimal....it's not like the old days of the 70's and 80s when coming to 81st and Lewis was a scary proposition.....now that said it does seem that our coaching staff has brought in some new young talent to go with our vets....Mad Max is surely our ace in the hole....if he stays healthy in 2022-23 then this could be a special year with 20+ wins.....and of course we all agree better defense is a must.....so being realistic....12 wins in the Summit is something ORU can accomplish....13 or 14 maybe even 15 is possible if the Good Guys give maximum effort and key players stay healthy for the most part....Vanover is also a key....need some big play from the big guy.....our Summit foes just seem to keep getting better and ORU must follow that lead.....IN MILLS WE TRUST!   :circle-logoi:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman will have to defer to Old Titan on this one as I think we all should....the guy has been around ORU basketball for 50 years and understands the program in and out as well as anyone….

I’m just trying to give the coaches some locker room bulletin board* material amongst all these rosy preseason outlooks. 

(*as if modern locker rooms have bulletin boards; right there next to the salt tablets and the jock straps.)

Old Man Smile GIF by F*CK, THAT'S DELICIOUS

• Like 1

Phipps hitting the runner over Vanover was nice. I realize this clip shows "the hits" but having a 7'5" dude in practice is something most teams just can't replicate. Going against Connor in practice should help facing the bigs in the Summit.

• Upvote 3

Watching Connor at Arkansas the last couple of years and he just seemed a little slow on defense, often like he was a step late.  He was ok his first year but really struggled on the defensive end last year.  That is mainly why Coach Muss did not play him much after the end of December.  Plastic Man can guard around the rim but anything more that that is usually a bonus.  Expecting other teams to draw the big man away from the post and have him try and guard the bigs on the perimeter.  Not his best look because his lack of athleticism really shows up then.  Wondering how he will guard the smaller/quicker centers, which most of the Summit League will throw at him.

• Like 1