Elijah Lufile

Old Titan

I wonder the reason he is still available in the portal? You would think a guy with his size would have been picked up already.

Just looking at the stats and David did not play much at Weber State after having some solid numbers at Denver.  Who knows maybe he was injured or had issues with the coach but only averaged 1 point in six games at Weber.  That may have scared teams off, but he averaged about 7 points and 3 rebounds in two seasons with Denver.

How about Lufile going pro in the NFL next year?  With that size and strength, he would make a nice tight end or even linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys or Eagles (cannot forget your undefeated team, Eagleman).

• Like 1

So, is it possible that Big Maple thought he was being disrespected and recruited over by bringing in Conner Vanover, and that led to his departure?

• Upvote 1

I doubt it. He knew he was going to start this year.

11 hours ago, vcboy2000 said:

I doubt it. He knew he was going to start this year.

I don't think there is any way he leaves the program if he knew he was starting. It's much more likely that he saw that coach will continue to play primarily a small line up and he wouldn't see any more minutes than he got last year. Guys that know they are starters who will get good minutes don't leave.

"There are different visa categories with different rules, but most international student-athletes, as stated above, are in the F-1 international student status, sponsored by their college or university. This means that the school is responsible for that student’s immigration compliance and has the ability to cancel the student’s F-1 visa status if the student violates any F-1 regulations. Violations of the F-1 regulations that would be investigated by the school’s Designated School Officials (DSOs) can include working outside of permitted parameters or without proper authorization. This means that, in almost all cases, international student-athletes are not permitted to sign deals with companies, as this is considered an off-campus job, and the school would be legally obligated to terminate their visa." (taken from article, "How NIL Works for International Students" by Georgia Meyers, May 31, 2022)

I have to wonder if this could be the reason Lufile is not returning to ORU. While trolling his Facebook page, I noticed that he commented on the unfairness that international students could not capitalize on financial NIL deals.   

22 hours ago, ORU40 said:

I don't think there is any way he leaves the program if he knew he was starting. It's much more likely that he saw that coach will continue to play primarily a small line up and he wouldn't see any more minutes than he got last year. Guys that know they are starters who will get good minutes don't leave.

Can we stop with the conjecture? Saying things like,"It's more likely..." when we have no clue can get pretty sloppy. They said it was a personal matter. Let's respect his privacy and wish him the best. He'll always be a Golden Eagle. 

• Upvote 4

46 minutes ago, vcboy2000 said:

Can we stop with the conjecture? Saying things like,"It's more likely..." when we have no clue can get pretty sloppy. They said it was a personal matter. Let's respect his privacy and wish him the best. He'll always be a Golden Eagle. 

You're right VC, it's a private personal matter. He's a great young man; that played well for us and was a lot of fun to watch. He was also a fantastic representative of the program and the University.  He will always be a Golden Eagle and we all wish him the best!! 

• Upvote 4

I don’t think the NIL issue is the cause because that is a US visa law issue that would apply in the same situation at any US university.  It is an interesting point though that clearly disadvantages international students.  

"I don’t think the NIL issue is the cause because that is a US visa law issue that would apply in the same situation at any US university.  It is an interesting point though that clearly disadvantages international students."

ORUJason, I am in agreement with you. I just found it interesting when I saw what Elijah said months ago about the "unfairness" of the NIL restrictions on foreign players. Then I read an article about the issue. I'm like everyone else on this board. I loved watching Elijah play and appreciated his tenacity and toughness on the boards. I'm sure the team and fans will miss him. Also, like everyone else, I wish him all the best and God's blessings on whatever he chooses to do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Very strange....who would have thought?  Surely not TheEagleman....best wishes to Elijah....:tb-white:

Congratulations Elijah and thanks for all you did for and brought to the Golden Eagles.  Best of luck in the Pros or with whatever you do in the future.

• Like 1

Yes, congratulations to Elijah. What a pleasure to watch last year. Glad he is following his dreams.