Summit Hoops Preview Podcast

Old Titan

some good nuggets:

--the best player on the court this summer not named Max Abmas has been.............Patrick Mwamba

--Connor measured 7' 3 and 3/4" in barefeet

--McBride intially brought up to Mills about bringing in Vanover and did all the heavy lifting in recruiting him to ORU

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

some good nuggets:

--the best player on the court this summer not named Max Abmas has been.............Patrick Mwamba

--McBride intially brought up to Mills about bringing in Vanover and did all the heavy lifting in recruiting him to ORU

Looks like Phipps will be getting significant playing time this year as well.  Hopefully there's been significant development there.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Dr. Cornelius said:

Mills mentioning Max playing ~32 minutes this season...

I'll believe it when I see it...

Mills is a numbers guy… but we will see. They have to know that all those minutes have a cumulative effect on Max throughout a long season. 

• Upvote 1

It's hard not to get fired up after listening to coach's comments; will be fascinating to see the player rotations develop early on.

I have seen Demari Williams practice 2 times now and boy is he a specimen! He looks like a power 5 player and as well as being a good defender he is a good shooter! Also he seems like a really good young man! My hunch is we will be a difficult team to defend against and our defense should be considerably better.

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, ORob2 said:

Looks like Phipps will be getting significant playing time this year as well.  Hopefully there's been significant development there.

IMHO if Phipps plays 20-25 minutes a game and is our 6th man again this year, we will end up having a disappointing year much like last year. It means we will have 20-25 minutes per game with Max & Trey on the floor together, and since both are probably below average defenders, we will be a poor defensive team again. We will also be using the 3 small guard lineups again (as Isaac has earned significant minutes) which will beat the lower half of the Summit and the NAIA teams on our schedule but won't get us where we think we should end up.  

We have seen that we cannot just outscore teams... we have to improve defensively!!! I'm sure Trey is a great kid, and this criticism is not personal, but he is basically a good 3-point shooter only. His on the ball defense, weak side defense, defensive close outs on shooters, ball handling (hopefully he can dribble to the left this year), passing and shot selection are all below average for a division 1 guard. As a team we cannot get away with the same poor defense, we saw last year. I have talked a lot about our poor interior defense, but our perimeter (guards) D is sub-par at best, we get beat off the dribble far too much which forces the wings and bigs to have to help which leaves shooters open because usually the guard who didn't stay in front of the guy getting into the lane does not then rotate over to the shooter that the help defender had to leave. Or the O passes the ball into the post, our guard does not come all the way down to be of any help but stays in between the shooter and the post (in no man's land) so he is not helping on the post or in position to close out on the shooter and pressure the shot, best example of this is NDSU killed us last year going inside-out, we didn't stop the post and we didn't close out on the shooter!  We all remember NDSU last year, right? they blew us out by 20 in the Summit tourney semis to end our season!

Playing that 3 small line-up and Trey significant minutes again negates all the size and athleticism we brought in during the off season, it doesn't improve our D which is our most acute area needing improvement as a team, it doesn't help us on the boards, it keeps size and toughness on the bench and it has proven to not be a high-level winning group. Let's not end our season in the conf. tourney semis again!!

Coach went out and got size, athletes and much needed D and toughness... let's use it!!!! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

18 hours ago, ORUalum said:

some good nuggets:

I may be reading between the lines too much but Mills kept talking about Patrick’s ability to guard the perimeter. Makes me wonder if we won’t see him as our starting 3 man this year instead of playing the 4 like he did for his old school.

30 minutes ago, ORU40 said:

Playing that 3 small line-up and Trey significant minutes again negates all the size and athleticism we brought in during the off season, it doesn't improve our D which is our most acute area needing improvement as a team, it doesn't help us on the boards, it keeps size and toughness on the bench and it has proven to not be a high-level winning group. Let's not end our season in the conf. tourney semis again!!

Coach went out and got size, athletes and much needed D and toughness... let's use it!!!! 

The whole post is great, but this part really sums it up. I've defended Trey a lot on this board, and I still think he's a great player. But if he's getting significant minutes, we're in for a frustrating season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1