ORU Pep Band

Bogus Smith

Kendall has invested his time and talents for many years to the ORU basketball experience.  We wish him well in his "retirement" and look forward to the next season of music in the Mabee Center.

Personally, this is is a big deal. Things that could change include the arrangement of the national anthem, the mix of brass and electric instruments, and obviously the playlist of songs performed on a given game night. 

One of my favorite tasks when preparing the game scripts for timeouts was getting to pick which songs the band would play. Kendall and I enjoyed the same style of music, and it was always a kick getting to choose between classics from The Police, Lenny Kravitz, Alice In Chains, Foo Fighters, and the like. 

I’m really gonna miss his contributions!

• Like 1

that's a HUGE loss to the gameday experience in the Mabee Center.  i hope this wasn't a forced retirement or some cost cutting measure.  also, i hope they continue to bring in pros....ORU probably isn't large enough to have the talent pool to deliver a top notch band of just students.

lastly, they need to pick a game and honor him at halftime for his decades of service to ORU athletics

• Upvote 2

Alice in Chains instead of Alice Cooper??.....come on, man.........😉

Rumor has it they are bringing back Richard Roberts and the World Action Singers and band!! Turn it around baby!!

• Haha 3

Us old-timers fondly recall that is was "The Ralph Carmichael Orchestra" that truly shined with Richard, Patti, and the World Action Singers in all those Oral Roberts specials back in the high-salad days.

Little-known fact:  while he's referred to as "The Father of Contemporary Christian Music" for his "modern" arrangements of gospel classics, Carmichael also conducted and composed for some of the biggest recording stars of his day, including Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole, Roger Williams, Jack Jones, and Peggy Lee.

Here's one of my all-time swingin' favorites arranged and conducted by Ralph Carmichael; if you aren't at least tapping a toe by the end of this song, then you have no pulse:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Maybe we can bring these guys in as the new Pep Band and call them Prayer Tower (of Power)! 😜  Someone PLEASE set this song to ORU basketball highlights.  Check out the lyrics!  I think it'd be a great hype video--At least for some of us old school Titans!  I often play it as part of my personal pre-game ritual.

(There ain't nothing) Oh no (Stopping us now) ain't nothing Stopping us now now now (No No)
(There ain't nothing) There ain't nothing (that's gonna stop us no how) no way no how
We're together in our minds
We've been together for a long, long time
We've got direction and we've got faith and we're moving right along at a steady pace, yeah yeah
We're determined in our minds (We're determined)
(To do what we got to do) oooohhhh well
no way no how
Hard work and dedication
We're representing the younger generation
For them we're building a brand new day
No need for greed or games to play
We're determined in our minds (We're determined)
(To do what we got to do) Oooohhhh

• Like 2

4 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Right 🎶🎼 no more Mr nice guy😅😅

School's Out, baby!!.....interesting tidbit....TheEagleman's first ever concert was Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies Tour at the old Tulsa Civic Center in 1973.....I was up in the front 10 rows with a few wingmates and it was pretty wild stuff......Alice even brought out the old guillotine act.....hard to believe the man is the son of a pastor/missionary....but Vince Furnier is actually a pretty nice guy and says he is a believer.....I have seen his testimony so TheEagleman will take him at his word.....😎

• Like 2

5 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Thanks for sharing, Doc.....they don't make music like THAT anymore......sigh.......🥺

I’ve long thought ORU’s pep band is the best in the country and Is my favorite part about going to ORU games. I hope they don’t change things up too much! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sorry to hear about this. Kendall certainly deserves a fitting ceremony to honor his long work for ORU Athletics. Let’s hope we get someone close to his skill & talent. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...