Great game

EagleFanatic

Wow, what a game to watch. I really think we can take this tournament. Does anyone know anything about either of the teams we may play next? I had alot of fun tonight. Is there a posibilty that if we win friday, we do another watch party? That would be great. Well nice win, and I will truly have a happy Thanksgiving.

Stayed up to watch...very impressive....I don't know how good USC is this year, but it doesn't matter....an impressive win over a big conference opponent....Green dominated inside....looking at the draw, you have an excellant chance of winning this thing.....Good luck....

Thanks rlh. I appreciate your support. I hope we look as solid against our next opponent as we did last night. Congrats on your own win last night. The Mid-Con was needing wins, and last night definitely helped improve that situation.

S. Carolina has 4 starters back from the team that won the NIT last year. Very solid team. Marquette has pretty much a brand new team with the exception of a big guy named Novak that can really shoot the 3. It was great getting to see them last night hopefully get a chance to see them on Sat. in the final!!

Oral Roberts rolls to win over Southern Cal

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

11/24/2005

Green scores 19 points as Golden Eagles record a 68-48 victory over Pac-10's Trojans in Alaska.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Oral Robets University got 20 first-half points from its bench and rolled to a 68-48 first-round win over Southern California on Wednesday in the Great Alaska Shootout.

Starting guard Ken Tutt needed relief when he and USC's Ryan Francis ran together, cracking heads early in the game, but Chris Riouse came off the bench to score eight first-half points, hitting two treys.

Eric Fowlkes chipped in seven off the bench in the first half and Yemi Ogunoye scored five in an 11-0 run as ORU built a 41-23 lead at intermission.

"I thought our bench played terrific tonight, and I think that will be one of the strengths of our team as the season goes on," said head coach Scott Sutton.

Junior forward Caleb Green scored a game-high 19 points to go with 10 rebounds as the Golden Eagles rebounded from Saturday's loss to Utah State to square their record at 1-1.

Tutt returned from his injury to score 13 points with two 3-pointers and Larry Owens chipped in 10 points and nine rebounds. ORU will play Marquette, an 83-73 winner over Eastern Washington, in the tournament semifinals at 8:30 p.m. Friday.

The win was similar to ORU's first-round knockout of Georgetown of the Big East in last year's Hawaii Rainbow Classic. And never mind that USC finished last in the Pac-10 last season, or that the Trojans have more new players than veterans for first-year head coach Tim Floyd.

ORU hadn't beaten a team from the Trojans' conference in 23 years.

"USC will take its lumps early, but coach Floyd is going to get that program going. People across the country will see that we beat USC by 20 points and it will open some eyes. And with the game being on television, hopefully a lot of people saw it and it will help our program," Sutton said.

ESPN2's telecast wasn't joined until ORU led 7-2 about four minutes in. The Eagles never trailed. They led by as many as 22 points in the second half. USC pulled within 60-46 on Dwayne Shackleford's basket with 6:18 left, but ORU outscored the Trojans 8-2 down the stretch.

ORU outrebounded the Trojans 45-25, including 27-12 in the first half.

Nick Young scored 13 and Gabriel Pruitt had 11 to lead the Trojans, who fell to 0-2.

The Golden Eagles rolled to an 18-point halftime lead and held on through a sloppy second half to post a 68-48 first-round win over Southern California in the Great Alaska Shootout.

Caleb Green scored a game-high 19 points to go with 10 rebounds for his first double-double of the season as ORU rebounded from Saturday's loss to Utah State to improve to 1-1.

The Golden Eagles will play Marquette or Eastern Washington in the semifinals at 8:30 p.m. Friday.

ESPN2's national telecast wasn't joined until ORU led 7-2 almost four minutes in, and the Eagles never trailed. Chris Riouse had two 3-pointers and scored eight first-half points off the bench and Yemi Ogunoye scored five points in an 11-0 run late in the half that stretched ORU's lead from 27-21 to 38-21.

Ken Tutt had 13 points and Larry Owens added 10 for ORU.

The Eagles led by as many as 22 in the second half. Southern Cal (0-2) pulled to within 60-46 on a basket by Dwayne Shackleford with 6:18 left, but ORU outscored the Trojans 8-2 the rest of the way. The win was the Eagles' first over a Pac-10 school in 23 years. -->