Re: Wichita State Basketball

ORUTerry

I was in Wichita the past couple of days on business and noticed this article about WSU basketball season tickets. The title of the article in the Wichita Eagle says it all: WSU Season Tickets Gone.

The community has gone crazy over the Shockers. Their recent success and the fact that they are the only school in town (though they do compete with KU and KSU) has propelled the program to tremendous heights.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/colleges/wichita_state_university/15330208.htm

Excerpt:

The seats -- Row 2, Seat 5 and Row 11, Seat 7 -- lasted until the end in large part because they require a $2,000 donation to the Shocker Athletic Scholarship Association.

The donation -- plus $439 for the two tickets -- caused Kloefkorn to reconsider, but he decided it was worth it to get in the building. He wants to be able to move his seats in future seasons.

I hope one day there will be enough excitement for ORU basketball thatwe can charge a donation to the Golden Eagle Club for season tickets.

That was a very interesting article.  To put that situation in perspective, the $2000 donation is the equivalent of a Silver Level membership in the Golden Eagle Club; the $439 price tag for the tickets is a little more than double the cost of ORU season tickets. 

It's worth noting - Koch Arena's capacity is listed at 10,478, while the Mabee Center is listed at 10575 - very similar in size.  Can you imagine the Mabee Center packed to the rafters with screaming fans?  It would become a pretty intimidating place to play if that were ever to happen.

In regard to your last statement, Terry, a policy being instituted this season will require GEC membership to retain season tickets in certain sections in Mabee Center.  This is a positive move to promote membership, which, ultimately, helps raise funds for athletic department projects.

There is no better way to support ORU athletics than through Golden Eagle Club membership.

Another point worth noting, the inaugural game in the Koch Center was a mark in the L column for the Shockers delivered by Eric Folwkes at PG!

... a policy being instituted this season will require GEC membership to retain season tickets in certain sections in Mabee Center.  This is a positive move to promote membership, which, ultimately, helps raise funds for athletic department projects.

TMH - can you provide additional info on your comments, i.e. where are the new GEC sections, when will the GEC members be notified, and if we have to change seats, will we get to pick where we want to be in the new section, etc.  Not sure I'm happy about potentially having to move as I like my current seats.  Also not sure how it will promote membership.  Would like to see you expand on the thought process behind this.  Thanks.

If I understand it correctly, if you are a current GEC member you will keep your current seats. If you are in one of the selected sections and are not a member of the GEC, you will be contacted about joining the club to retain your current seat. All seatholders in the selected sections will have to be members of the GEC to obtain season tickets in those sections.

Right, Terry.  Only a limited number of sections are affected, and even in those, the lowest priced membership level is all that is required. 

I'd rather just have people show up at games than trying to force them to join the Golden Eagle Club.

OK... OK. I'll do it! All someone had to do was ask.  :-D