Start with a Bang

ORUalum

Grant Plumley Story --- Scout.com

215535.jpg

By: Rob Davis

Date: Jul 29, 2006

2004 draft pick Grant Plumley started his double-A career with a lackluster 1-4 game on July 23rd. But in his second chance at double-A pitching, Plumley exploded with a 3-4 day that included three RBI?s and a long home run against New Britain

(FREE PREVIEW OF PREMIUM CONTENT)

?It was a great day. I just was in a great comfort zone. I had a real good at-bat my first time up and turned it into a hit,? said newly promoted shortstop Grant Plumley. ?I think the first at-bat of the game is key because once you get that positive feeling, you can get rolling from there.?

The slick fielding Oral Roberts grad spent 2005 splitting time between Charleston and Tampa. With Tampa the final 43 games of the season, Plumley hit .250 with 15 RBI while maintaining his solid glove work.

Before his July 21st promotion to Trenton, Plumley had an up and down beginning to the 2006 campaign with Tampa. Playing in only 19 games due to injuries in both Achilles tendons, Plumley hit .284 with 6 RBI.

?I only got to play in 20 games or so but I hit pretty well and started to get into a decent groove where I was seeing the ball really well before my promotion,? said Plumley.

?I was just excited to be thought of. With injuries and all the guys going up I thought it was possible that I would get called up, but due to my injuries and lack of playing time I wasn?t too confident. I?m just really happy that the organization thinks enough of me despite my lack of playing time this season.?

The self-proclaimed defense first shortstop has often been compared to former Oakland and Baltimore shortstop Mike Bordick.

?I?m a defense first shortstop. I try to stay focused on defense. When I?m at the plate I?m more of a situational hitter who tries to hit line drives, hit behind runners, lay bunts down and anything else the team needs me to do,? said Plumley.

?My college coach used to compare me to Mike Bordick when he played for Oakland. I think the comparison fits because he was a tremendous defensively player who wasn?t the best offensive player but he was far from a liability.?

Despite the commitment to defense, Plumley knows he must improve his hitting in order to make a name for himself in an organization with much better hitting prospects at the same position.

?I want and need to work on becoming more consistent at the plate. Lately I?ve been trying to spray the ball the other way a lot more in order to get more easy hits and prevent pitchers from working me away all the time,? said Plumley.

Former Tampa teammate Matt Carson, who spent time on the disabled list with Plumley earlier in the season, believes once Plumley regains his full health he can really be a solid addition to the playoff bound Thunder.

?He?s a great shortstop. He eats up everything hit his way,? said Trenton outfielder Matt Carson. ?He?s a pretty solid hitter but he?s been injured a lot like me, but when he?s healthy, he?s a real solid player.?

Hitting .333 since his promotion, Grant Plumley has proved that he is ready to play and perform at the double-A level.