Nice story about SDSU

89rabbit

I know this doesn't quite fit into your board, but I thought you guys might be interested. 

http://www.cstv.com/sports/w-baskbl/sto ... 06aag.html

Ballers and Brainiacs

Classroom success breeds a new kind of top 10 team 

July 20, 2006

By Jessica Garrison

CSTV.com

It's a safe bet that anyone who picked South Dakota State to be number one at the end of last season would have faced a stunned silence, punctuated by the occasional cricket. But according to the WBCA, that's exactly what happened: The Jackrabbits topped the WBCA's annual academic honor roll, with the highest team GPA in women's basketball, across all levels of the collegiate game.

The WBCA selected 117 teams, aiming for the top 25 in each division and from NAIA and junior/community colleges, based upon team GPA among schools nominated by WBCA member-coaches. South Dakota State came out the clear winner, besting all schools in all divisions with its 3.73 team GPA.

The school of 11,000 in Brookings, South Dakota doesn't make headlines too often - the Jackrabbits have only been competing in Division I for two years - but the emphasis on academics is clear. Head coach Aaron Johnston has set the Jacks up in competition with themselves.

"[Last year], we had finished second in the nation," Johnston said. "We have a goal with our team to be in the top 15. To finish first is obviously very exciting and a great statement about how our students view their academic and athletic experience. You're always pleasantly surprised to be number one."

With eight perfect 4.0 GPAs on his roster last spring, Johnston had little reason for surprise. But he sees in the nomination a victory beyond the tidy transcripts on his team.

"As a new Division I program, we don't have all the same academic resources as a Big East or Big Ten or Big 12 is going to have," Johnston said, referring to the academic centers and support staff many big schools have. "Sometimes there's that label that Division I is about athletics only. Division I is about competing at the highest level academically and athletically. This is a big plus for us, both in recruiting, and for the university trying to sell us to alumni and others as Division I athletics."

Does Johnston worry that the brainiac stamp on his team will scare away some recruits? Hardly.

"Not the ones that we want," he said. "We want the ones that will be challenged by that."

At 19-9 last year, South Dakota State is absolutely a program on the rise. Still independent of any conference, Johnston managed to put together a 2006-07 schedule that includes a trip to the Bahamas for a tournament that includes returning defending champs Maryland, as well as Northwestern, Ole Miss and UCF. Then, their regular season boasts games against USC, Marquette and Colorado, giving the Jackrabbits a serious taste of major conference competition.  .  .  .  (read more)

Thanks for indulging me.  :-D

Congratulations to your women's team, 89rabbit.  You are justifiably proud!  It's remarkable to me when student athletes are able to excel in both sports and the classroom.  The demands on their time, the travel and the pressure to perform are bound to make their studies a challenge.