8 points + 14 seconds of clock = Victory

ORUalum

...found this on YouTube.

did not know about the game, but it was pretty sickening to watch as an ORU fan.

warning this video clip will turn your stomach...

does anyone remember this game?

In my many years of following ORU basketball I've never seen that clip!  That was an outstanding find, ORUalum.  According to the media guide that game was played Jan. 14, 1987,  with Ted Owens at the helm.  Talk about a collapse!

As a point of reference, according to Wikipedia:  "The NCAA adopted the 19-foot, 9-inch line nationally in 1986.

thanks, for the link to the previous thread Bogus.  i did not know this had already been discussed, sorry for the double post of such a bad ending.  not sure how i missed the thread the first time around. 

after watching that clip i feel like i need to see the nate binum clip that beat TU to balance things out.

I thought I read every post on this board, but I sure missed that video last time around.  I do remember reading the article, but missed the video of it.

Guest EagleBackr

...I wasn't living in Tulsa during the Ted Owens years, and didn't follow the program much, so I had no idea either of the "story-behind-the-story" of this loss.  What's ironic is that Ted Owens had been on the winning end of an eerily similar ORU collapse against his Kansas Jayhawks in the 1974 NCAA Midwest Regionals final for a trip to the Final Four. 

After struggling to an 11-17 record, Owens was forced out at the end of that 86-87 season.  ORU inexplicably dropped out of the Midwestern Collegiate Conference (now the Horizon League), then brought Ken Trickey back for an ill-fated tour that eventually resulted in the program dropping down to NAIA level (reportedly to avoid looming NCAA sanctions).  That Memphis game was arguably the harbinger of a downward spiral that has taken two decades to recover from...

Guest Rob Marshall

Two decades to recover?  Really?  That was in 1987, so I guess four straight winning seasons, a NIT appearance, wins over three of the other four Big Five schools (Oklahoma State, Arkansas and Tulsa), gaining membership in a D-I league once again, and a regular season Mid Con co-championship from 95-99 don't constitute recovery?  EB, you're a tough grader or have a poor memory of the 90's.  :wink:  :-D  8-)

then brought Ken Trickey back for an ill-fated tour that eventually resulted in the program dropping down to NAIA level (reportedly to avoid looming NCAA sanctions). 

What really WAS the reason for the drop to NAIA?  ORU detractors ALWAYS say it was to avoid penalties from the NCAA as a result of violations - but is that for sure?  Others have said that it occurred at a time when the Ministry and school were struggling financially, and that there was talk of cutting athletics altogether.  Trickey supposedly came up with a plan to move to NAIA (where most Christian colleges reside anyway) and keep basketball alive at ORU.

Surely someone knows that would be willing and able to explain the move.  So much time has passed, and the program has moved on so much, that the truth about it certainly wouldn't hurt anything, and couldn't be any worse than the rumors.  Anybody want to fill in the rest of us?