Seattle Sonics to OKC???

Dr. Cornelius

I guess the NBA may actually stick around in Oklahoma.

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_071806SPBsonicsEL.259ddfb1.html

SEATTLE - The city's oldest major league franchise has been sold to a group from Oklahoma City, according to a report in the Seattle Times quoting multiple sources.

The sale is reportedly being made to an investor group led by Oklahoma businessman Clay Bennett. Bennet was instrumental in the temporary relocation of the Hornets to Oklahoma City following Hurricane Katrina. But the Hornets are scheduled to return to New Orleans following the 2006-07 season.

A news conference to announce the sale of the Seattle Supersoncis has been scheduled for 3 p.m.

The Seattle Storm, which is owned by the same group, are reported to be part of the deal.

The New Orleans Hornets played their games last season at Oklahoma City, and are scheduled to play there again next season. It was not immediately known if the team would move to Oklahoma, the reports said.

The sale of the team has been a possibility since team owners began asking the city to help finance a major overhaul of the Sonics' home at Key Arena.

Team majority owner and Starbucks coffee magnate says the Sonics have lost about $60 million in the past five years, a loss Schultz blamed on a revenue-sharing lease at KeyArena that lasts until 2010.

During the legislative session this year, the Soncis asked the state Legislature for financial assistance toward arena improvements at an estimated cost of $220 million, but legislators failed to act.

In the meantime, the Sonics owners said in April that putting the team up for sale was one option it was considering during negotiations with the city.

What followed appeared to be saber rattling on both sides, with Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels saying that Key Arena could survive without the Sonics.

After tne news of the sale broke, Nickels said he would have no comment until after the 3 p.m. press conference and Gov. Christine Gregoire's staff released a statement saying, "she believes the Sonics have always been very honest and open with her. There was never a question that they were looking for a solution to stay in the region."

Oklahoma City was always at the top of the list of potential buyers for the team.

Oklahoma Heritage Assoc.

Clay I. Bennett, Oklahoma businessman.

The Sonics are currently owned by The Basketball Club of Seattle LLC, a group of 58 investors headed by Schultz.

Past estimates have put the likely sale price in the high $300 million range based on franchise sales in the last five years. Schultz's group purchased the Sonics for $200 million in 2001.

I'm speechless..... I cannot believe the Supersonics would move to OKC. Talk about your change of venue. I just sped through the article. Did it mention whether the team would change its name?

I'm speechless..... I cannot believe the Supersonics would move to OKC. Talk about your change of venue. I just sped through the article. Did it mention whether the team would change its name?

You gotta change the name if they do since the Seattle would change and Supersonics is based on alliteration.  Been trying to think of a new name for them coming up blank though any suggestions?

You gotta change the name if they do since the Seattle would change and Supersonics is based on alliteration.  Been trying to think of a new name for them coming up blank though any suggestions?

The Oklahoma Oil Bust?

The Oklahoma Old Bridges?

The Oklahoma Oil Oligarchs?

The Oklahoma City Not So Pretty?

The Oklahoma City Red Dirt and No Trees?

The Oklahoma City What A Pity?

The OKC OPP?

My bet is that they stay the Sonics.  Oklahoma City is actually pretty big in the aeronautics world -- for example, I learned this summer that any security interest in an airplane gets registered in OKC. And that airbase (Tinker) is a big deal.  Don't all the AWACs still fly out of there?

I cracked up listening to the OKC radio guys trying to justify a franchise trade between the Sonics and Hornets, arguing that the Hornets were just "a better fit" for OKC.  They just all have huge man crushes on Chris Paul.  I mean, seriously -- is David West better at riding that lame canal than Rashard Lewis?  Does Tyson Chandler really like the Cowboy Hall of Fame more than Nick Collison?

My bet is that they stay the Sonics.  Oklahoma City is actually pretty big in the aeronautics world ...

And we've got lots of "Sonics" around here.  Wasn't the first one in Stillwater?  I like their cherry limeaides.

I was very skeptical in the beginning that OKC would be able to handle an NBA franchise, but I think they did a great job with the Hornets. The whole mantra of what makes a city NBA ready is really overrated. The only reason people would still have a problem with them having a team is the perception of Oklahoma, which is just stupid.

And we've got lots of "Sonics" around here.  Wasn't the first one in Stillwater?  I like their cherry limeaides.

Shawnee -- you were close.  That's another legit reason for the name.  They could call the cheerleaders the "Tater Tots" and give out free foot long cheese coneys if the team gets 100.

I was very skeptical in the beginning that OKC would be able to handle an NBA franchise, but I think they did a great job with the Hornets. The whole mantra of what makes a city NBA ready is really overrated. The only reason people would still have a problem with them having a team is the perception of Oklahoma, which is just stupid.

Agreed.  I heard Wilbon on PTI call OKC the Green Bay of the NBA, comparing the atmosphere to that of a college.  I went to a game last year and I have to say I was not that impressed -- the atmosphere was more of one of a vagabond pro sports team.  Chris Paul is fun to watch, and I love that they got Peja, but the fans really weren't that into it (maybe it was because they were playing Memphis), the arena kinda stinks, and the entertainment was lousy (most notably, the wannabe Emninem, who is basically a male cheerleader who can't wear his hat right).  I'm not sure Wilbon's analogy works.

That said, my prediction is that the Hornets, or whatever NBA team is there, will eventually kill off OU basketball.  There aren't enough sports consumers in OKC, even with Norman's population booming.  Attendance was way down at OU last year -- and while some will associate that with Kelvin's LAME style of play, I really think you can blame the Hornets.  So, for completely selfish reasons, I'll celebrate the NBA in OKC, as Gold* hates OU basketball.

Something doesn't seem right about this move. Is an NBA franchise really so lucrative that this ownership group would rush to grab the Sonics? A precursor to public funding maybe? Surprisingly (to me at least) the population of Seattle and OKC are quite close according to the 2000 census info.

Population

Seattle: 563,374

OKC: 506132

That's city population.  Seattle is a suburban city with a whole lot more people in its area than OKC.  Think OKC traffic is bad?  Seattle has some of the worst.

But I think you have a good point regarding the economics.  Something else to remember: OKC was buying tickets at bottom basement prices this year.  Will that continue?  My guess is no.