Re: Radio for 2006-2007

Dr. Cornelius

Does anyone know what our contract situation in regards to radio broadcasts is currently? Last season we had numerous problems with 1430...

[*:38jx0pre]Questionable commercials during broadcasts
    [*:38jx0pre]Lack of consistant internet streaming. Much lower quality than even 970 was able to provide. Those listening over the net (and there are quite a few) are frustrated by this.
    [*:38jx0pre]Dropping coverage mid-game
    [*:38jx0pre]Little to zero promotion of broadcasts or games

The ideal situation (in my opinion) would be a move to AM1550/FM97.1. I'm not sure if this is a feasible option but I hope it is at least discussed by the Athletic Dept. I think I understand the reasoning behind the original move but any pick up in local promotion via a contract with 1430 was essentially a wash since 75% of airtime is devoted to inane banter... Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

From what I have heard, the concern is about the Sports Animal's (am1550/fm97.1) signal coverage. Their signal is actually pointed to the East and there are some people who have difficulty picking up a good signal in the downtown area and points west. I would be interested in what others have to say about this. I think the station is trying to alleviate this issue but it may take some time. As an aside, I have customers in Ft. Smith, AR (about 80 miles SE of Tulsa) and while traveling in that area couple of weeks ago I could pick up the FM signal as strong as I can in Tulsa.... it was very clear. That means we would get great coverage all over eastern Oklahoma (and Western Arkansas).

I agree that am1430 does not provide us with much promotion. I suspect that the Sports Animal would love to be the broadcast station for a local sports team to show their involvement in the Tulsa community. During the NCAA baseball regionals they had regular updates (every 15 or 30 minutes) on the ORU games. They even sponsored (or at least broadcast from) a watch party at Wings to Go. It was a nice gesture.... and was noticed.

Guest EagleBackr

..."The Sports Animal" broadcasts in a circular pattern from a 100,000 watt tower south of Muskogee.  It's signal strength is good in Broken Arrow and east Tulsa, but is not so good in midtown, downtown, or South Tulsa near ORU, which as you might imagine are important geographic areas to ORU's fan base.  The station is in the process, however, of building a taller tower, 12 miles further north, on higher ground.  The end result should be a clear, strong signal for all of Tulsa.  The tower should be built and on-line by the end of the calendar year.  Even when that is done, though, there are other issues:  the station still does not have live internet streaming for our fans who live outside of the area, or for local fans who work/live in buildings with poor radio reception (like the Mabee Center!).  Also, the station is privately owned and is one of the more expensive radio stations in town to buy time on.  All of those factors figure into the decision, and for all its faults, "The Buzz" DOES have live streaming, is affordable, and (at least for the time being) has a signal that covers more of Tulsa...

Sounds like we will be on the BUZZ for at least the next year....

I don't listen to AM1550 or FM97.1, so I don't know if this information is publicized on those stations or not, and nobody mentioned it in the other posts, but according to some advertising info that I have, those stations are owned by the Adonai Radio Group, that also owns KXOJ (FM100.9) and KROSS (FM100.3), both of which are Christian stations here in town.  It would seem that philosophically 1550/97.1 may be more in line with the values of ORU as well.

Guest EagleBackr

...the one thing EVERYONE agrees on is that, in the big scheme of things, ORU and "The Sports Animal" are a natural fit philosophically.  And, that the so-called "on-air personalities" at "The Buzz" are at best indifferent, and at worst outwardly hostile, toward ORU and its mission.  But neither of those factors seem quite so important once the ball is tipped off and you can/can't pick up the broadcast...

Guys, the Sports Animal does have live internet streaming online. I've listened to it several times while at work. Also, I have never experienced the problems that others seem to have while listening in the car. I'm in south tulsa for most of the work day, and never have any problems picking up the Sports Animal's FM station.  :?

The OKC station is streaming, but I cannot find where the Tulsa (97.1) signal is. Can you post a link?

oh ok. i guess that is what i was listening to also.  :|

Guest EagleBackr

...specifically, KYAL (the local "Sports Animal" affiliate) does not have internet streaming.  The Oklahoma City "Sports Animal" is the one that has live streaming.  That's why, if you listen on the internet from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., you hear Oklahoma City's programming and instead of the local broadcast of the "Middle Of The Day" show with Al Jerkens...

As an out-of-towner, I'm all for any station that will have streaming and won't cut off the game in favor of playing more commercials. Seriously, to miss a full minute or more of game action while listening to commercials is downright annoying.