Van Der Bosch called up to Triple A. . .

ORUalum

http://www.projo.com/pawsox/content/projo_20060706_06pawsox.1949aa8.html

---

. . . In the next inning, Corky Miller doubled and scored on a flare single to center by the newest PawSox player -- Matt Van Der Bosch, who was making his Triple-A debut.

----

AROUND THE BASES: The PawSox have been taking an increasingly Portland Sea Dogs-like look, which was further underscored by the addition of outfielder Van Der Bosch, who, until yesterday, had been on Portland's disabled list with a strained left shoulder.

Van Der Bosch had been hitting just .187 with the Double-A Dogs, and spent last week rehabbing.

He was somewhat surprised by the promotion.

"It feels great," said the former Oral Roberts University product. "A couple weeks ago, I didn't really think I'd be up here. But (this) was good news."

What Van Der Bosch, Boston's ninth-round choice in the June 2004 draft, lacks in size (listed generously at 5-foot-8, 190 pounds) he makes up for in speed and grit.

He stole 44 bases in his final year at ORU, and already has stolen 59 in his short professional career.

"I just try to play hard," Van Der Bosch said, "and make things happen."

Van Der Bosch is one of six current PawSox players who began the season in Portland. Four of them -- Van Der Bosch, Keoni De Renne, Murphy and Zink --were in last night's lineup. Starting pitchers Kason Gabbard and David Pauley are the others.