Homestand Opener: Bernier still here (TW - 7/5/06)

ORUTerry

Homestand Opener: Bernier still here

By LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer

7/5/2006

Versatility main reason why former ORU star still with Drillers

Doug Bernier's quirky sense of humor has served him well in his time in minor league baseball.

"I joke about being rookie of the year when I'm 38 years old," he said. "I don't want it to be that way, obviously, but it beats not being in the game at all. I just love this game, and I want to play as long as they allow me."

Signed by the Colorado Rockies as a nondrafted free agent in 2002, Bernier, who celebrated his 26th birthday during the team's previous homestand, is in his second year of Double-A baseball with the Tulsa Drillers.

As an every day player at shortstop last year, he batted .203 with three home runs and 39 RBI.

"Last year was the first year I played every day," he said. "It was the first time that I knew coming to the field I would be in there every day. It was awesome. It was a different feeling.

"Maybe I am a late bloomer, I don't know. I'm just trying to learn a little bit and become a little better player."

Relegated to a backup role this season, the majority of Bernier's playing time comes when infielders Ian Stewart, Troy Tulowitzki or Matt Macri need a rest.

The Oral Roberts graduate is comfortable in his new situation but admits he would prefer to play every day.

In 48 games this season, he is batting .241 with 10 RBI.

"My role is backing up guys and giving them days off when they need it," he said. "Or filling in when guys are banged up. I can play all around the infield, and it's my role to be ready to play when someone needs a break."

Through Sunday, the Santa Clara, Calif., native has appeared in 48 games.

A student of the game, Bernier understands his best opportunity to continue to move up might be his versatility.

"Definitely my defense has helped move me up the ranks a little bit," Bernier said. "I like shortstop, it is the most challenging position in the infield. I'm most comfortable there, but it's also been good learning new positions.

"Right now, I don't really know where I stand with things. But I know I love playing, and I feel like every year I'm getting a little better. I know my age is getting up there, but I feel like as long as I keep improving every year, be more consistent and get the bat going a little bit, I might have a shot to make my ultimate goal."

Tulsa manager Stu Cole likes Bernier's competitive fire.

"Guys like Doug hang around in baseball a long time," Cole said. "If you can catch the ball, throw the ball and get guys out, being a guy who can play multiple positions and be a good team player, you can hang around a long time. Doug is perfect for this ball club.

"He is the reason why we chose him to be on this ball club. I've known Doug for a long time. He has a great attitude, and he works as hard as anybody."

In fact, Bernier's work ethic reminds Cole a little of himself when he played in the Rockies organization. And like himself, he said Bernier will know when the time is right to exit gracefully.

"I was a guy like Doug later on in my career, playing a lot of positions," Cole said. "I finished my career with the Rockies. For me, I thought when I couldn't play the game having fun, it was time to get out. But Doug still has many, many years ahead of him."

Cole praises Bernier's thirst for knowledge.

"He's always trying to learn the game, whether he is out there playing or not. He'll watch other guys and maybe have a suggestion on how they could play a situation better. Those are the things that make utility guys special. They hold a lot of knowledge and are willing to help out other guys."

The hardest aspect of Bernier's new role isn't physical, but rather the emotional toll of being called upon on a moment's notice.

"It's easy to get down and let your thoughts turn negative," he said. "I try to turn it into a positive because it's not an easy role to be in. I know if I can do it effectively, this might be my shot to get to the big leagues. I might have to be a utility guy up there or just play every now and then."

The hardest part might be the mental rather than the physical aspect.

"You have to always be ready," he said. "You never know when you might be called upon to pinch-run or go out and play defense in the ninth inning. It's not an easy job to always be ready, but I think I'm trying to learn it."

Jamey Carroll has been an example for Bernier.

A utility player, Carroll has worked his way into an everyday player.

"He told me to understand I'm just holding down the job for a day," Bernier said. "He told me that its hard to try and win the job in a day. It just won't happen."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lynn Jacobsen 581-8461

lynn.jacobsen@tulsaworld.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When:

Wednesday through Sunday

Opponent:

Springfield Cardinals

Games times:

7:05 p.m., except for 6:05 p.m. Sunday

Radio broadcasts:

KTBZ am1430

Promotions:

Wednesday: Team photos

Thursday: Clunker Car Night

Friday: Moses bobbleheads