ORU basketball in the news...

ORUalum

a quick round-up from google news and the search term "Oral Roberts"...(post a little long)

Mormons vs. Charismatics vs. Fundamentalists vs. Catholics???

New to the schedule this season is the BYU Holiday Classic, which will be conducted the last weekend of December to conclude non-league play. With a four-team field that includes Big South Conference foe Liberty (Dec. 28), Mid-Continent Conference champion Oral Roberts (Dec. 29) and Big East Conference contender Seton Hall (Dec. 30), BYU fans will see teams from across the nation convene in Provo to compete with doubleheader games each day of the exempt tournament. Seton Hall and Oral Roberts were both NCAA Tournament participants last season.

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=8004

Owens gets assist from Gill...

Owens hopes summer will lead to NBA career

Odeen Domingo

The Arizona Republic

Jul. 1, 2006 12:00 AM

Tim Gill has been in Larry Owens' shoes.

Gill knows exactly where those shoes need to step and how to step.

Owens, a 2001 Westwood graduate, will try to emulate or outdo the professional success of his mentor, Gill. Like Gill, an NBA team didn't draft Owens after a successful basketball career at Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Okla.

advertisement

Wednesday's NBA draft came and went, and Owens' name was never announced, though Owens was always considered a long shot to be drafted.

"I knew it wasn't going to happen," said Owens, who watched only the draft's first 15 picks. "I wasn't expecting for anything to happen. . . . Anything's possible. I just have to keep my head up and play how I'm playing or even play harder. When the opportunity comes, I need to do whatever I've got to do to get a spot on a team. Anything is possible."

That was Gill eight years ago; an NBA hopeful who would have to work hard every minute on the court to make a living playing basketball.

Gill, who led Oral Roberts in 1997 to its first postseason game in 13 years, had minor stints in the NBA and found success in minor leagues and in Europe. But just going through that experience will help Owens understand what he needs to do. Gill is working out Owens in Oklahoma until a team offers a rookie free agent deal.

Owens, who was the Mid-Continental Conference Player of the Year, this past season, is awaiting word whether he will get a shot to play this month for the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets in the Las Vegas NBA summer league or San Antonio Spurs in the NBA summer league in Salt Lake City to prove he is an NBA-caliber player.

Owens worked out twice for the Hornets. The Spurs told him prior to the draft they wanted to give him a workout after the draft.

Owens, who is 6-feet-7 and 210 pounds, can provide energy and athletic explosiveness off the bench, and defensive prowess as well. Owens said Hornets coach Byron Scott was surprised that he wasn't invited to any of the pre-draft camps that showcased nationwide prospects.

But summer league spots could be hard to come by.

"We're going to have two or three of our (Hornets veterans) playing in the summer league," Scott said in a statement prior to the draft. "We also are going to have the three draft picks playing there, so there aren't going to be a lot of spots available."

Owens said it's great just to have a foot in the NBA door.

"My name is out there," Owens said. "It was just good to get a workout, basically. And summer league is another stop . . . . Hopefully, I can prove people wrong, turn some heads and make some noise."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/mesa/articles/0701mr-owens0701Z11.html

Barry Trammel weighs in on Mid-Con...

Mid-Continent Conference woes:

Oral Roberts, coming off its best athletic year since the 1970s, is caught in the crossfires of a disintegrating league.

The Mid-Continent Conference is under siege. The Mid-Con has lost two members in recent months: its flagship school, Valparaiso, and Chicago State.

And it wasn't much of a conference to begin with. Little status and a geographical nightmare, stretching from Southern Utah to Centenary (Shreveport, La.) to Oakland (Detroit suburb). Others remaining in the Mid-Con are ORU, Missouri-Kansas City, Western Illinois and Indiana-Purdue-Indianapolis, known by one of the all-time great acronyms, IUPUI.

The Tulsa World listed potential additions to the Mid-Con: Dallas Baptist, IUPU-Fort Wayne, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Texas-Pan American, Utah Valley State and Longwood (Va.).

Ugh. The Mid-Con is headed for disaster. The best scenario? A mass exodus. That's right, the disbanding of the league.

As is, the Mid-Con is poorly conceived. Travel budgets are ridiculous; national perception is non-existent.

ORU and UMKC both crave entry into the Missouri Valley but would settle for the Southland Conference. Centenary would like in the Southland. Southern Utah wants the Big Sky.

Oral Roberts has more going for it than ever before in the conference shuffles. Oral Roberts has been solid in basketball and has established itself as a legitimate baseball power, having beaten Oklahoma State and Arkansas to reach a Super Regional earlier this month.

Now is the time for ORU to bolt.

Where the upper Midwest schools could land, I don't have a solution. They are not the caliber of the Horizon or Mid-American members.

But the dissolution of the Mid-Con would settle the problem of the 65-team bracket. The NCAA basketball committee refuses to reduce from 34 the at-large teams in the NCAA Tournament. Now, 31 leagues have automatic entry. Losing the Mid-Con would bring us back to 64.

http://www.shns.com/shns/g_index2.cfm?action=detail&pk=TRAMEL02-07-02-06

Hinson lands Tulsan...

Tulsa high school junior commits to Missouri State basketball

Lyndal Scranton

? 2006, Springfield News-Leader

Ken Holdman Jr., who will be a junior this fall at East Central High School in Tulsa, Okla., has given a verbal commitment to play college basketball at Missouri State.

The 6-foot guard averaged 17.6 points, six rebounds, four steals and four assists as a sophomore. He said Texas A&M, Wichita State, Tulsa, Oral Roberts and Lamar also were recruiting him.

Holdman cannot sign his NCAA scholarship agreement until November of 2007, but said his decision was clinched after touring the Missouri State campus with his family on Thursday. He attended Coach Barry Hinson's basketball camp earlier this month.

Holdman would be part of the first freshman class to play in the new JQH Arena that's scheduled to open for the 2008-09 season.

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 2/60630009

I'm looking forward to this holiday classic, if for no other reason then we might get to play against Liberty. I was always a bit baffled that Richard and Jerry Falwell never got together to arrange a series or anything.

This is a nice tournament.... it will be good to play Liberty. I agree that this should be a natural rivalry.

What is Berry Trammel writing for a Tennessee paper for; I thought he wrote for the OKC paper (Oklahoman)? Or was this just picked up over the wires?

Anybody got the link to the Liberty or BYU message boards?

Wow, Terry. You work fast!

Finally!  what a great tourney. we've been asking for this.  I say we have a concurrent theological debate during the tourney on the message board! :wink:

Have we ever played Seaton Hall or BYU? If so what is our record against them? Is there an easy way to look this info up?

Have we ever played Seaton Hall or BYU? If so what is our record against them? Is there an easy way to look this info up?

You Betcha!  The ORU Basketball Media Guide has all sorts of info, including "All-Time Series Records."

We have played Brigham Young four times:

12/23/78 (A) L    104-120

12/08/78 (H) L    75-76

01/21/86 (H) L    65-67

12/20/86 (N) L    73-95  (played in Provo, UT)

We have no history of games against Seton Hall that I was able to find.

I believe that that game on 12/08/78 at the Mabee Center was one of the all-time great games in ORU history.  Although the story has been repeated here a number of times, maybe someone that was there can tell us a bit about it.  Wasn't the game won by a buzzer beater by Danny Ainge?

Thanks.  tmh8286

Guest EagleBackr

You Betcha!  The ORU Basketball Media Guide has all sorts of info, including "All-Time Series Records."

We have played Brigham Young four times:

12/23/78 (A) L    104-120

12/08/78 (H) L    75-76

01/21/86 (H) L    65-67

12/20/86 (N) L    73-95  (played in Provo, UT)

We have no history of games against Seton Hall that I was able to find.

I believe that that game on 12/08/78 at the Mabee Center was one of the all-time great games in ORU history.  Although the story has been repeated here a number of times, maybe someone that was there can tell us a bit about it.  Wasn't the game won by a buzzer beater by Danny Ainge?

...after ORU took a 1-point lead with seconds to go, BYU did NOT call a timeout and simply handed the inbounds pass to Ainge under his own basket.  He picked his way up court with about four crossover dribbles and drove for a LAY-UP just before the buzzer.  We never laid a glove on him!  As I recall, BYU also beat TU either the night before or the night after on a last-second jumper from one of their lesser-known players.  All in all, a pretty incredible roadtrip for the Cougars.

ORU has actually played in this BYU tournament before:  in Bill Self's first season ('93-'94), we got blown out by Washington State and Tennessee Tech without facing BYU.  If I'm not mistaken, Washington State was coached by a young guy named Kelvin Sampson (we never COULD beat his teams!).  That team of Self's was pitiful - finished 6-21 with Ken Trickey's leftovers against a grueling schedule.  Nowhere but up since then!!