Summer Pick Up Games

ORUTerry

Anyone know when the guys meet for pickup games? Do they play at the Mabee Center or the Aerobic Center? Has anyone seen them play? Is everyone - including the new guys - on campus?

Without the Champions League there is no way to preview or get a look at the players before practices start.

Pick-up games were being played at A.C. at the beginning of the summer and have been suspended during the basketball camps because the players are involved. I got to see Kelvin Sango play a little, and I am very impressed with his level of strenghth and quick first step. Although he is not really long like L.O.  :mrgreen: he will be a great addition to the wing. I know that Shaun King is on campus, but I have not seen him in action. I haven't seen Gaines, and I don't know what Robinson looks like. 

When (if) you find out when pickup games are played, send me a message. I would like to attend some and report back to the message board.

Can someone also let us know when/where the Lady Golden Eagles have Summer Pickup games? Thanks in advance!

My son said that he saw Marchello Vealy on campus and that he looks quite a bit bigger (muscular) than he did at the end of the season. Sounds like he (and the rest of the team) have been putting the new weight room to good use. Didn't someone else say that Ken Tutt had improved his vertical leap and looked in great shape?

My son said that he saw Marchello Vealy on campus and that he looks quite a bit bigger (muscular) than he did at the end of the season. Sounds like he (and the rest of the team) have been putting the new weight room to good use. Didn't someone else say that Ken Tutt had improved his vertical leap and looked in great shape?

Ohhh thats great news.  Especially Ken Tutt he has turned himself into a more complete package than just a 3 point shooter.  It seems like with his ability to drive with his pretty little floater shot can turn him into a guy that can create his own shot.  Tutt could impress us all this season with his new abilities I just hope that he keeps that 3 point shot flowing.  And a bigger Vealy thats just good good news, hes already so athletic and with some bulk he can play inside some more and grab some rebounds.  I wonder how much he will get to play this year?

Marchello Vealy should see a lot of playing time this coming year based upon what we saw at the end of the season.  We absolutely need his atheticism on the court. How about a lineup of Green, King, Vealy (small forward), Tutt and Liberty? Need to give Vealy some freedom on the offensive side of the court. He also needs to be more disciplined on defense; at times he looked lost on the court - like a typical freshman.

The interesting question is where our rebounding/post production will come from this year with the absence of Michalec and Owens. A strong case can be made that King and Vealy - along with Ogunoye and Spicer.... and even Sango, will make up the difference. The key will be how the new combinations mesh together as a unit. Lots of questions - and possibilities.

We will also miss the shooting ability of Chris Riouse.... we will need Ehambe to step up to provide alternative scoring to Tutt.

Liberty appears to be a nice replacement to Bluitt at point guard.

While someone of Owens' ability and athleticism is impossible to replace - Vealy, Sango and Robinson will give depth at the small forward/wing position.

Guest EagleBackr

Here's your starting five if we have to go "big":  Green, King, Yemi, Tutt, Liberty.

Here it is if we can get away with going "small":  Green, Vealy, Yemi, Tutt, Liberty.

Yemi will start no matter what - just watch and see...

It will be interesting to see where Spicer fits into the lineup - if at all. He is definitely a tough player who brings an attitude on the court.... at least from what I saw in the two practices I attended last year. He plays taller than he is.... a Jarius Glenn type of player.

Who will the backup point guard be? Wonder if they will try Tutt in that position again like they did last year. If he goes on to the next level, it will probably have to be as a point guard or at least a 'combo' guard.

I suspect that at least initially, you are correct EB. I think the coaches like the defensive effort that Yemi gives; he showed last year that he could defend the perimeter as well as in the post. Yemi still got lost at times (his athleticism usually bailed him out) and could disappear on offense. He seemed to lack confidence in his shot and was reluctant to pull the trigger. Some teams figured it out and sagged off of him so the we were playing four on five on offense. That will never be the case with Vealy. He is a potent offensive threat whether his back is to the basket or he is facing the rim. Marchello's weakness is on defense. That is something he can correct and will - if he wants to see substantial playing time. With patience, he could become a tremendous shot blocker.

I hope that the starting five will include Vealy and King, and not Yemi because he is NOT an offensive threat, whereas Vealy began to gain a lot of confidence toward the end of the year.

In the Memphis game, his defense was sound against some of the most athletic forwards in the country.  I hope that he will continue to improve this summer, and will earn a starting role.

Yemi is a good defensive/rebounding option off the bench, but I cringed at times last year when he got so much playing time, because it limited our offensive flow.

If you assume that Shawn King replaces Mickey, then we will really need Marchello to replace Larry, and I hope he can.  He is quick enough to drive to the basket, and if he becomes more aggressive, I think he can draw more fouls and get some points at the line.  He is smooth too and shot the 3 well in high school.  I hope he can be consistent enough to earn the starting job.

I had heard a few months back that the coaches loved Spicer's athleticism but that he didn't dedicate himself well enough in practice/workouts to maximize his potential.  I wonder if he will do what it takes to earn some playing time....

I just watched the NCCA game against Memphis again.... Vealy is so smooth and athletic - we have to find a place in our lineup for the kid.

Guest EagleBackr

...there is a place for Vealy in the line-up - as the ever-important sixth man.  He'll be the first one into the game for whoever gets two fouls, or by the 12-minute timeout (whichever comes first).  He'll end up with just as many minutes as most of the starters by the end of the game (if not more), and probably be third or fourth on the team in scoring... 

So how many minutes will Tutt and Liberty get per game? In the past Tutt played 35 to 37 minutes per game (when he was healthy) and Bluitt (or Spencer-Gardner before him) played the same amount of minutes - maybe more. I would also expect Green to see 32+ minutes per game. Should we expect the same this coming year? If so, that will really compress the minutes available for the other players on the bench (Vealy - though he will get his minutes-, Sango, Ehambe, Robinson, Jordan, Gaines, etc.)?

Wonder if we will see a player or two red-shirted? I like the fact that it will give a player one more year to mature and grow stronger - and not have them waste a year on the bench not playing.

Guest EagleBackr

...in a perfect world, Ken wouldn't have to play more than 30 minutes a game to preserve his fragile foot.  Hopefully, Ehambe and the others will be able to provide some productive minutes off the bench to give him a breather.  If they don't, and he's forced to play 35-40 minutes every game, you have to wonder if he'll stay healthy the entire season...

Good points.... I wonder how long Ken battled with his foot last year - or even before that? He played a lot of minutes during his freshman and sophomore seasons - and I thought it showed late in the season as he ran out of gas.