Tulsa World....

ORUTerry

Okay, I've had it..... ORU fans are pretty docile and not very demanding - and I guess the Tulsa World just thinks that it can be flippant in its coverage of the Golden Eagles. If you have a newspaper today, check out the lineup section inbedded in the story about ORU's game tonight with USC.

That's right.... they have our opponent listed as Southwestern State. (BTW, that is who our women are playing tonight.) Worse than that - they report that there is no television coverage for the game tonight. ORU's first nationally televised game in decades and the Tulsa World screws it up. How many casual fans are now under the impression that the game is not on ESPN tonight?

Please give the Tulsa World sports editor a call/e-mail and let him know this is unacceptable.

Guest Rob Marshall

But Terry, with all the exciting college football going on in Stillwater and Norman, the World can't be expected to do too many things well can it? :lol:

You're right, that is poor ... VERY poor attention to details, OR it is a direct punch in "ORU fan's" eye similar to what the village idiot did to Billy Joe Daugherty during the alter call at Victory Christian Center last week. Hmmmm, to press charges or not??? Decisions, decisions ...

But I must say, Mike Brown's doing a helluva job covering TU and Conference USA football and I am enjoying what he's writing about Coach K's club.

IMO, the Tulsa World screws up facts all the time (not just in sports), which is why I cancelled my subscription about a year ago. If you never know when you read an article what's correct vs incorrect, it's not worth the $'s.

You're right, that is poor ... VERY poor attention to details...

But I must say, Mike Brown's doing a helluva job covering TU and Conference USA football and I am enjoying what he's writing about Coach K's club.

It's an indictment on the copy editors who probably inserted the headings and lineups into Mike's story that was probably submitted much earlier in the day (well before his deadline since he had all day yesterday to write the story). That's why the copy editors are paid the big bucks...to get the details right before going to press!! No excuses for the World messing this up (the name is well known and the TV is nationally publicized). The World should have had plenty of time to lay this out properly.

P.S. BTW, nice language for a Hooiser. Did you have to go to ORU to learn that?

Guest Rob Marshall

Well, I could have used "heckuva," but I didn't want to be like the people who say "give me a freaking break" instead of what everyone knows they are really saying. It's like drinking a non-alcoholic beer at a bar, why not either order iced tea or just have a beer.

Plus, I just like to rebel every "now and then," and I did learn THAT at ORU ... what was that Thomas Jefferson quote again, EB? something about "a little rebellion, now and then, blah blah, blah blah blah" ... :twisted:

How would i know that they are continuing to do a terrible job, i havent paid attention to that fish wrap in over a year. That is why they can't give them away.

The World is not "the" paper in tulsa. I get all my news from .....

ORUSPORTS.COM!!!!!

The best writers in town are right here!!! :D

$150,000 is what the Tulsa World is donating to the $1.6 million building project for ORU athletics. That takes a lot more subscriptions than those of us on the message board.

I did call on my way to work this morning and leave messages about what a poor job of proof reading it was when they got it right on page 2.

Thanks, mom, for helping us keep things in perspective. An organization willing to donate $150,000 to an ORU project, a fact that probably isn't widely known by board members, probably isn't purposely trying to do us harm.

At the same time, it's pretty frustrating to think that there may be interested people in the Tulsa area that will miss watching the game due to an unfortunate error in the paper today. Maybe if we express some of that frustration to the World they'll know it matters to us, and will make sure that they get it right in the future.

Guest EagleBackr

On a "1-to-10" scale of being ticked off, I would rate the "Southwestern State" title over the opposing roster a "2" - that's pretty harmless. I would rate the "TV - None" listing as a "9" - I ALWAYS look at that in a pre-game story to confirm the time and channel, because sometimes those things change. It would not surprise me to learn that a LOT of casual fans who might have at least watched the beginning of the game before calling it a night now will miss all of it because of that gaffe. But, to me, the "10-out-of-10" error is that Mike Brown made NO MENTION AT ALL of the game being televised in his story. To me, that's inexcusable. Especially after Matt Doyle wrote earlier this week about how this was the first time ORU has been televised since the 70's. Mike should have done A WHOLE STORY about that fact! Instead, he doesn't even mention it! Incredible as it may seem, is it possible he DOESN'T KNOW it's being televised? I mean, he has been pretty tied up with TU football. I wish we could find out somehow....

Guest EagleBackr
The World is not "the" paper in tulsa. I get all my news from .....

ORUSPORTS.COM!!!!!

The best writers in town are right here!!! :D

That's right - and may I add that I'm not getting paid NEAR enough?!? You think it's easy being this brilliant??? OPEN UP THAT CHECKBOOK, DOC CORN - BABY NEEDS NEW SHOES!!

Email Sent:

Mike -

I know you've already gotten emails and will probably get more so I'm

not going to waste your time or mine with endless ranting. Point Blank:

Not putting a story about the ORU men playing the UNIVERSITY OF

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA (not southwestern) with mention of it playing on ESPN2 is

down right inexcusable. We might be the ugly step child in town, but I

just can't believe that this information was omitted. Mike Brown has

done a tremendous job for you guys, but something like this is just very

sloppy of your staff. Please get something done so that a mistake like

this does not happen again. There actually are ORU fans in this town

that would be very appreciative. Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.

Brandon Howard

Reply Received:

Thanks for your note.

Today's coverage of ORU was sloppy and embarrassing. The mistakes we

had are inexcusable. I would say more in this e-mail, but we simply have

no excuse for the errors.

Thanks again for writing.

I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving, too.

Do you realize how many years that the booster club didn't raise that much?.....let's see......the last 3 years are the first time in 40 years.

The Alumni Assoc has a hard time raising that much too.....to my knowledge, not one person on this board has given that size of donation at one time. Plus, athletics looks for non-traditional sources to raise money...the people who would never support the ministry or the school.

I'll join you at the water cooler.