Central Arkansas at ORU

theeagleman5

Good Guys close out the regular season home schedule tonight with a rematch vs. UCA (22-23)....the Golden Eagles won the first game in Conway back in March and the Bears have never won at JLJ....after this one ORU (30-15) heads to Omaha for a big series vs. the Mavs.....Let's go Blue!!! :tb-white:

Nice come-from-behind win tonight.  In a game where ORU struggled to pick up timely hits with runners in scoring position, ORU scores two in the eighth on two sacrifice flies to retake the lead.  McCroskey then cuts down a runner at the plate for the second out in the ninth to hold off UCA.  ON TO OMAHA!!!

ORU now 31-15 with the 8-7 win over UCA tonight... I guess the Good Guys are just mid week warriors...perhaps its a good thing that the Summit League Tournament begins on a Wednesday....Omaha is going to likely be our first round opponent so time to send the Mavs a message this weekend that winning 2 of 3 at JLJ earlier this season was a fluke...it was...wasn't it??? 😬

12 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

In a game where ORU struggled to pick up timely hits with runners in scoring position,

Can we officially declare that a recurring theme this  season?  From the UCA game notes published by ORU

In the Summit League, ORU's offense ranks first in batting average (.298), runs (342), hits (467), doubles (93), triples (16), RBIs (303), slugging percentage (.440), walks (222), on-base percentage (.389) and sacrifice flies (24). On the mound, the Golden Eagles rank first in ERA (3.87), innings pitched (391.0), runs allowed (199), earned runs allowed (168), strikeouts (417) and batting average against (.241).

Clearly this team can hit and produce runs but at at times goes through a drought with RISP.  I can't find our batting average with RISP but I've got to believe it is below the team average of .298.  Hopefully the timely hits began late last night and will continue through the SL tournament and into the NCAA tournament.

The four weaknesses I keep seeing over and over are the following:

• Bats going to sleep in the middle innings
  • Baserunning blunders
  • Inability to bunt when needed
  • Catcher

When all these factors combine in one game (as they too often have of late), ORU is very beatable.