ORU signs Michigan HS catcher.

oruandy

Creek catcher Burch signs with powerful Oral Roberts

Oral Roberts, a nondenominational Christian school located in Tulsa, Okla., posted a 41-16 record this past season. They've appeared in 18 NCAA Tournaments and one College World Series.

BY CHRIS MARCHAND

of the Daily News

Last week, Oral Roberts was within a game of making it to the College World Series. Brett Burch hopes someday he can get the Golden Eagles over the hump.

The Bullock Creek catcher signed a national letter of intent to play at ORU on Thursday.

"It's unreal," Burch said of ORU's program. "I can't put it into words how cool it is out there. It's a minor league park that they play in. It's so cool that you have to see it to believe it."

Wendel Nemer, Burch's Connie Mack manager for Means Stamping, played a big part in the Golden Eagles' recruiting Burch. 

Oral Roberts, a nondenominational Christian school located in Tulsa, Okla., posted a 41-16 record this past season and was ranked 19th in the final regular season national poll.  It reached the Super Regionals before losing to No. 3 Clemson in the best-of-three series.

"They played with the number one team in the nation for two games in the Super Regional," Burch said. "How could you not want to go there?

The Golden Eagles have appeared in the NCAA Tournament 18 times including the past nine years as champions of the Mid-Continent Conference. They reached the College World Series in 1978.

Burch has a good chance of playing as a freshman. "Their senior catcher is graduating and their junior catcher (Andy Bouchie) got drafted in the seventh round," Burch said. "Those are their only two catchers.  I'm sure I'll at least get a chance to play."

The 5-foot, 10-inch, 180-pound Burch hit .494 this season for the Lancers with 34 runs scored and 28 runs batted in. He earned Tri-Valley Conference West honors and Division 2 All-State honors. He was one of 36 players that competed in Tuesday's MHSBCA All-Star Classic at Comerica Park.

Burch will be one of three Bullock Creek graduates playing Division 1 baseball next season. Bryan Mitzel will be a senior at Central Michigan while Nathan Marquardt will enter his junior season at Western Michigan.

"Those guys are great ball players and it's kind of cool to be in the same spot as them - going to play Division 1 baseball. They're good players. I guess it gives me some confidence."

Burch played four years on the varsity team at Bullock Creek for coach Bruce Dickey.

"I think he's a good Division 1 prospect," Dickey said.  "He's got good numbers (as a hitter). (As a catcher) he's got quick feet and quick hands. He gets rid of ball quick to second base.

"He'll excel once he commits to baseball. He's been a three-sport athlete here, and that takes up so much time."  Dickey said Burch's attitude and versatility will payoff at the college level.

"He's such a fierce ?fierce with capital letters - competitor and he's very coach able," Dickey said. "He'll do fine once he gets there. ... (In college), you've got to be versatile. He was all-conference here at a couple of positions.  He could be an outstanding third baseman as well." 

As for other Bullock Creek seniors, Dickey said both Adam Rider, an All-State infielder, and Dan Robinson, an all-league pitcher; plan to play junior college baseball.

Midland Daily News ? Saturday, June 24, 2006 (Sports Section, Page 1, Top Story)

Anybody know how good this kid is? The article makes him seem like a nice catch, but you never know. How did you know about this article, Andy?

Wow, this kid sounds great.  Good numbers and what an attitude.  Guy seems to say all the right things he sounds like a that has himself put together well mind, body, and spirit.  Look forward to seeing him, good article Andy thanks.

My guess is that's he's pretty good if we signed him.  Walton and crew seem to have the ability to nose out top recruits.  It's interesting what the coach said about him being a three sport athlete.  Kids have tended away from that at bigger schools.  At Broken Arrow (and other Tulsa area high schools) it's a rare kid that does two sports - only the top athletes.  Most will focus year-round effort on a single sport - they have to if they hope to find a spot on the team.

When I first read this post I missed the "Michigan" in the subject line, and thought the kid was from Texas, for some reason.  It IS remarkable that we found him.  There's got to be some sort of connection between ORU and the Christian school or something. 

BTW, I think Andy may be from Michigan, which would explain how he came up with this article.

This is from my local Midland, Michigan fishwrap.  I can send a pdf/jpeg of the article to anyone that emails. (oruandy @ hotmail.com)  Imagine my surprise to see this...  :-D  It was coverage like we could only dream about from the Whirled.  :-o

BTW... Bullock Creek is a public high school outside of Midland.

I REALLY need to polish my reading skills - I thought it was a Christian school!  Guess I'm not used to seeing ORU being described as "a nondenominational Christian school".  Even though the article is CLEARLY describing ORU with those terms, in my mind I was thinking it was the kid's school.  Two goofs in ONE article!!

:oops:

I REALLY need to polish my reading skills - I thought it was a Christian school!  Guess I'm not used to seeing ORU being described as "a nondenominational Christian school".  Even though the article is CLEARLY describing ORU with those terms, in my mind I was thinking it was the kid's school.  Two goofs in ONE article!!

:oops:

I just hope you didn't miss the headline; Creek catcher Burch signs with powerful Oral Roberts

I really like whoever wrote this article thats for sure! :-)