St. Thomas at ORU

theeagleman5

Tommies making their first visit to JLJ this weekend for a 3 game series....it's been a tough season at 12-24 (6-9) but St. Thomas coming off a series win last weekend vs. WIU and they still have an outside shot at catching SDSU for the #4 seed in the Summit Tournament...not likely to happen but they do have  3 game series vs. the Jacks later in the month......at this point ORU is 1/2 game behind NDSU and can pass the Bison with a series sweep this weekend.....NDSU is playing at Miami/FLA out of conference....So the Good Guys 28-14 (11-4) need to take care of business at home....and here's something to chew on...when is the last time that ORU had a better road record (13-4) than at JLJ (15-8)????...Hard to believe but true.....but let's GO BLUE!!! :tb-blue:

• Upvote 1

Good info Eagleman! Let’s kick it into high gear this weekend!

Absolutely pathetic!  Hopefully we will get some pride and decide to play sometime tonight.  Heading into the Bottom of the 6th down 6-2.  BTW, St. Thomas has only scored 6 or more runs in only 8 of their games this year.  For the record they have played 36 games before this game.  SMH

ORU wins 7-6 in the 10th...

Too close for comfort - the identity crisis for this team continues...

• Upvote 1

Did not execute well tonight, but just good enough to send it to extras, and steal a walk-off win at JLJ.  Need to get back to fundamental baseball tomorrow. 

• Upvote 1

Yes the Good Guys did finally decide to play baseball and thankful for the win, but I do not understand this team.  We need to sweep St. Thomas and SDSU next week in order to win the regular season Summit League crown.  Hopefully this was a wake-up call for the team.

Yeah the ORU team is WEIRD....how do you fall behind pathetic St. Thomas 6-2 at home?....well, at least the Good Guys woke up late and got the 7-6 win thanks to some clutch hitting by McMurray and Denny.....we need to jump on the Tommies early in the next two games and not let them hang around....so now ORU is tied with NDSU at 12-4 for First Place and we are 2 games up on Omaha who lost at home today vs. SDSU.....and our main foe the Bison?....anybody care how they did vs. Miami FL. tonight?.....a close 22-0 loss down in the Sunshine State.....how did we manage to lose 2 of 3 at home to those guys?......TheEagleman has no explanation.......🙄

• Upvote 1

Thru 7 innings ORU has FOUR hits....and we trail 4-1 at home to a substandard St. Thomas team in their first season of D-1 Baseball......TheEagleman only has one word....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!......🤢

It is very frustrating to watch as this game appears to be slipping away.  The bats have got to come alive in bottom of the next two innings.

When you play with fire, you’re eventually going to get burned.  

Saint Thomas doesn’t have the overall talent that ORU has, but they play sound situational baseball, and it pays off. They know how to move baserunners into scoring position, and then they bring them home with a clutch hit, not trying to do too much, just “hit it where they ain’t”.   Today, three of the four Tommie runs got on base due to an error and two walks, and they took full advantage of these opportunities.  

UST had FIVE sacrifice plays in the game, and registered a SB or SF in each of the three innings where they scored a run.  Small ball at its finest   

Meanwhile, the “more talented” team was popping up bunts and hitting multiple long fly balls for outs.  Very frustrating to say the least. 

I just can't believe that this team is incapable of sweeping St Thomas who is now 13-25 on the season.  Just really disappointing.

Am I wrong in my view that a base running error in the 8th prevented us from tying the game?  Adam made the comment that the following play negated that but I didn't see it that way.  If Denny holds at second until the infielder commits to the throw at first he either remains at second or is able to advance to third on the throw to first.  I don't know maybe I'm missing something.

6 minutes ago, Otis 83 said:

I just can't believe that this team is incapable of sweeping St Thomas who is now 13-25 on the season.  Just really disappointing.

Am I wrong in my view that a base running error in the 8th prevented us from tying the game?  Adam made the comment that the following play negated that but I didn't see it that way.  If Denny holds at second until the infielder commits to the throw at first he either remains at second or is able to advance to third on the throw to first.  I don't know maybe I'm missing something.

Adam is assuming (and rightfully so) that the Tommies were going to register an out either way (if Denny doesn’t break for third, then Loftin would’ve been out at first). As such, the only difference is that ORU had a runner on first instead of second, and the UST error allowed Loftin to score from first (instead of Denny scoring from second), so it was a wash.   But, if the SS makes an errant throw to first, then it’s a completely different ballgame.  

1 minute ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Adam is assuming (and rightfully so) that the Tommies were going to register an out either way (if Denny doesn’t break for third, then Loftin would’ve been out at first). As such, the only difference is that ORU had a runner on first instead of second, and the UST error allowed Loftin to score from first (instead of Denny scoring from second), so it was a wash.   But, if the SS makes an errant throw to first, then it’s a completely different ballgame.  

Got it. Duh!  Thanks. Just letting my frustration get in the way of clear thinking. 

On 5/6/2022 at 7:58 PM, ORU82 said:

Absolutely pathetic!  Hopefully we will get some pride and decide to play sometime tonight.  Heading into the Bottom of the 6th down 6-2.  BTW, St. Thomas has only scored 6 or more runs in only 8 of their games this year.  For the record they have played 36 games before this game.  SMH

Hey at the end of the day if nobody got hurt, everybody had fun, and they’re all still friends then it’s a successful weekend! They’re trying their best!

16 hours ago, Otis 83 said:

Am I wrong in my view that a base running error in the 8th prevented us from tying the game?  Adam made the comment that the following play negated that but I didn't see it that way.  If Denny holds at second until the infielder commits to the throw at first he either remains at second or is able to advance to third on the throw to first.  I don't know maybe I'm 

Looks like the Good Guys are a little hissed off today....in the 5th its ORU 11 St. Thomas 0....😎🍺🍺

• Like 1

Run rule today. Too bad we couldn’t have scored a couple of those runs yesterday. 🤷🏻‍♂️