2006-07 Basketball Schedule

Guest EagleBackr

Guest EagleBackr

So, combining the new info from Mike Brown's article in the Tulsa World today with all the other previously discussed stuff, and the conference schedule from the Mid-Con website, here's what you get (home games in caps, Mid-Con games with asterisks):

11/11 @ Loyola Marymount

11/15 @ Kansas

11/22 LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE

?/?   @ Tulsa (traditionally the first week of December)

?/?   LAMAR

?/?   MONTANA

?/?   AKRON

?/?   CHICAGO STATE (non-conference game now)

?/?   @ Tennessee-Chattanooga (said someone earlier)

12/22 @ Arkansas

?/?   @ Illinois (said someone earlier)

1/4      WESTERN ILLINOIS* 

1/6   VALPARAISO*

1/11   @ Southern Utah* 

1/13   @ UMKC* 

1/20   @ Centenary* 

1/25      OAKLAND*   

1/27      IUPUI*

2/1        @ Valparaiso* 

2/3        @ Western Illinois* 

2/8     UMKC*   

2/10      SOUTHERN UTAH*

2/15   CENTENARY*   

2/17   ESPN Bracket Buster (open date on our Mid-Con schedule)

2/22   @ IUPUI*   

2/24      @ Oakland* 

3/3-6      Mid-Con Tournament

Some observations:

1. Brown said in his article that we ARE playing in the Bracket Buster game.  If what someone else posted is true about "no Bracket Buster road games three years in a row", then we're getting a home game.  Sweet!  BRING ON WICHITA STATE!!

2.  I listed the Chicago State non-conference home game as a December date, but more likely they will end up playing us in January or February, when they can't get anyone else in another conference to play them.  In November and December, they'll probably be out on their "Fund The CSU Athletic Department Tour" of money games.

3. Counting the CSU game, but NOT counting the ESPN game, I only get 12 home games, and Brown said we have 14 (the most in 10 years).  Must be a couple of weak sister games not mentioned - can we play Oklahoma Wesleyan twice at home?? 

4.  Plus, add a couple of NAIA/NCAA D-2 teams as exhibition games.  By the way, when are those games going to be played - October?  Seems like opening the regular season on November 11 is a new record for early starts.  Remember when the basketball season used to start THANKSGIVING WEEKEND??  Pretty soon, we're going to be playing HALLOWEEN tournaments to start the year...

5.  Assuming the 14 home games figure is correct, add the non-conference AND Mid-Con road games into the mix, plus the ESPN game, and you get just 28 games - which is 2 or 3 games fewer than the last couple of years when we played in exempt tournaments that added extra games.  It's going to be REALLY tough to win 20 games with this abbreviated - and difficult - schedule.  Maybe there are a couple of patsy road games in the works - can we play two ROADIES at Oklahoma Wesleyan?  FOUR-GAME HOME-AND-HOME SERIES!!

6.  As AWESOME as this non-conference slate is, the conference schedule is tough.  We better have a nice lead going into Oakland and IUPUI on the road to close out the season, or else what happened to the Jaguars in the last week of this past season may happen to us this year...

3. Counting the CSU game, but NOT counting the ESPN game, I only get 12 home games, and Brown said we have 14 (the most in 10 years).  Must be a couple of weak sister games not mentioned - can we play Oklahoma Wesleyan twice at home?? 

5.  Assuming the 14 home games figure is correct, add the non-conference AND Mid-Con road games into the mix, plus the ESPN game, and you get just 28 games - which is 2 or 3 games fewer than the last couple of years when we played in exempt tournaments that added extra games.  It's going to be REALLY tough to win 20 games with this abbreviated - and difficult - schedule.  Maybe there are a couple of patsy road games in the works - can we play two ROADIES at Oklahoma Wesleyan?  FOUR-GAME HOME-AND-HOME SERIES!!

3. I'd say count on AT LEAST one non-DI home game

5. There will probably be a couple more games added ... the NCAA changed the exempt game rules, so don't be surprised to see us play in some sort of exempt event this year.

And you can take Illinois off the schedule ... a game of that magnatiude would have made Mike Brown's article.

Is it possible to be playing the two Dakota Schools or that IUFW in Indiana? If we stay in the Mid Con I'm sure we will play them soon. Just a thought. :roll: That would put us in a very tough schedule with not too many push overs.

I had heard that we were playing in a Thanksgiving Tournament (the name escapes me now) so that is two games away from home that will add to the 28-game count.  Can anyone validate my memory for me?  Terry??  TMH??

For the 5th time...the game at Chattanooga ain't happening.

If I'm not mistaken, we've tried to coordinate the return game with UTC for the last 2-3 years and because of the scheduling conflicts we had to cancel...not sure if we had to pay for it or not but we owed the Mocs a return date.  The last I heard was that ORU got out of the commitment.  I followed up pretty well because Chattanooga is only about 90 minutes from Huntsville and I was taking a bus-load of friends and family to support the Eagles.  A real bummer!

Guest EagleBackr

If I'm not mistaken, we've tried to coordinate the return game with UTC for the last 2-3 years and because of the scheduling conflicts we had to cancel...not sure if we had to pay for it or not but we owed the Mocs a return date.  The last I heard was that ORU got out of the commitment.  I followed up pretty well because Chattanooga is only about 90 minutes from Huntsville and I was taking a bus-load of friends and family to support the Eagles.  A real bummer!

...don't sell the bus quite yet. ;)

That's what I've been screaming!   :-o

Did you mean, "THAT'S WHAT I'VE BEEN SCREAMING"? :-D