New ORUWBB Coach

ORUalum

Kelsi Musick

D2 coach at SW Oklahoma State. Led her team to the 2019 national championship game in 2019

1 minute ago, ORUTerry said:

Kelsi Musick

D2 coach at SW Oklahoma State. Led her team to the 2019 national championship game in 2019

Over the past three seasons, Musick's teams have had a record of 90-12 (.882).

Musick's 10th season at SWOSU was her best as she led the Lady Bulldogs to their best season as an NCAA Division II institution. After dropping the season opener against Emporia State, the Lady Dawgs won 35 consecutive games and advanced to the NCAA Division II National Championship game, where they were upended by Lubbock Christian in double overtime. SWOSU finished the year with a school-record 35 victories, becoming the first team to win the Great American Conference Championship undefeated before winning the GAC Tournament and the school's first NCAA Division II Central Regional Championship. For her efforts, Musick was named the GAC Coach of the Year for the second straight year and an unprecedented fourth time overall.

In her first decade at SWOSU, Musick is averaging 19 wins per season with six 20-win seasons and four straight from 2015-19. She has guided the Lady Bulldogs to the NCAA Division II National Tournament four times with one regional championship and three GAC Tournament Championships to their credit. Over the past two seasons, Musick's team has a record of 61-7 for a winning percentage of 89.7% and they've posted the two highest-win totals at SWOSU in the NCAA era.

The fast-paced play of the Lady Bulldogs has helped SWOSU rank in the top ten nationally in scoring offense in six of the past eight seasons, averaging better than 80 points per game in four of those seasons. Additionally, the Lady Bulldogs have ranked in the top ten of NCAA Division II for three-pointers made four times in the past seven seasons, including ninth (8.0/game) in 2011-12 and second (9.5) in 2013-14.

Sounds like her style is similar to Coach Mills: bombs away from three!

Not knowing anything about Coach Musick prior to the press release, my reaction to the announcement is generally positive.  I like the idea of bringing in a young talented coach with proven success at lower levels, especially one with Oklahoma ties for recruiting local athletes.  And, the offensive mindset of scoring (and scoring quickly) is a bonus in my book. 

She will need to hit the recruiting trail quickly, with the number of players leaving the program due to graduation and transfer portal.  Can a player who has entered the transfer portal reverse their decision?

TheEagleman likes it...Go Blue!!!🤩

34 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Not knowing anything about Coach Musick prior to the press release, my Can a player who has entered the transfer portal reverse their decision?

Yes, a player can reverse their decision after entering the transfer portal. 

3 hours ago, titansforever said:

Time to recruit some players!

And maybe get some to change their mind

• Upvote 1

I love the white smoke idea OT, not just for big announcements, but just generally whenever President Billy Wilson feels like hitting the white smoke button. 😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Yes, a player can reverse their decision after entering the transfer portal. 

Any new coach's first order of business in today's world is re-recruiting the current roster and anyone from the team who entered the transfer portal since season's end.

Correction:  re-recruiting anyone that you want to stay... 😎

• Upvote 1

Listening to and watching what was just going on at the press conference, I'd say that process has already begun...