World Cup anyone?

8EL3K6

How much World Cup action have you watched?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How much World Cup action have you watched?

• A lot
    • A little
    • None

Not a fan of soccer... the geopolitics of soccer (futbol) don't really factor in for me, I just don't enjoy the game.

There is just something wrong about a game that can end 0 to 0.... sorta Communistic don't you think?

The game will never catch on in America until the rules are drastically changed. I even heard Pele say it needs to happen. Shrink the field and please - do away with 'off sides'. How crazy is that? I am good enough to get the ball ahead of you but it's 'unfair'. No fast breaks means no fun...

Soccer is the greatest sport in the world.

Should we get rid of offsides in hockey and football too?

The NHL did effectively get rid of "offsides" by making the two line pass legal, that's why you see so many breakaways in hockey now. Offsides in football is a totally different... if football was the same as soccer DB's would just slow up and let wideouts beat them on a route. 

If you're good at soccer then you get breakaways too.  As long as your forwards wait until the ball is played you get a breakaway.  Look at the third goal that the Czech Republic scored on the US to see an example of a breakaway in soccer.  They got that breakaway because of great passing and a well timed run.

WAKE UP, Blev!

Something has happened. The US tied Italy (a perennial soccer power) while being down a man for most of the second half! While their chances of advancing are slim, by not losing they have kept themselves alive. A win against Ghana and an Italian upset of the CH. Republic could send us there!

Agreed -- it was a great game.  A lot of folks won't "get it," but I thought the second half was incredible.  My guess is that it's a sport that requires some perspective to appreciate, namely how tired all the players were at the end of the second half and the sort of ability it takes to still make big stops despite having legs that feel like jello. 

Everything I've read also said the crowd was unbelievable.  I know I was impressed by how loud the US crowd was.