Golden Eagles focusing on positives, future - TW (6-12-06)

ORUTerry

Golden Eagles focusing on positives, future

By BARRY LEWIS World Sports Writer

6/12/2006

CLEMSON, S.C. -- Oral Roberts University outfielder Brendan Duffy does not view being swept two close games by host Clemson in the NCAA Super Regional as a lost weekend.

"There were a lot of positives," Duffy said. "Getting there was a positive. Throughout the games we got big hits and had the lead in both games."

Duffy and the Golden Eagles will look to build on the experience of having played the nation's top seed nearly even over two games before sellout crowds.

There was a lot of sweating by Clemson fans and it wasn't just due to the sweltering conditions.

In a sense, ORU came within six outs of its first College World Series berth since 1978. The Golden Eagles were within two outs of victory on Friday and were four outs away on Saturday.

"I thought we competed well for two days," ORU coach Rob Walton said. "Either game could have gone either way."

Clemson coach Jack Leggett, whose team has won 24 of its last 25 games, came away impressed by the Golden Eagles.

"You probably saw two of the hottest teams in college baseball play on the same field this weekend," Leggett said. "That's why the games were so close. They (ORU) did a great job."

ORU should enter 2007 with fewer question marks than it did this season.

Only four of the Golden Eagles' top 10 regulars and three of the top seven pitchers played a notable role with them last season, which ended with a regional final loss at Clemson.

ORU, which finished 41-16, will not suffer numerous losses to graduation or the major league draft.

At least six members of Saturday's starting lineup are expected back for ORU in 2007. That includes Duffy, a sophomore who batted .359 and consistently sparked the offense from the leadoff slot. He reached base and scored in the first inning of each super regional game to give ORU a lead.

Also set to return is first baseman Chad Rothford, who was the Fayetteville Regional MVP and Mid-Continent Conference co-player of the year. Rothford had a team-high 13 homers and 62 RBIs.

Other returning starters should include second baseman Jake Kahaulelio, third baseman Carter McQuigg, center fielder Kelly Minissale and platooning left fielder Pat Warfle.

Junior catcher Andy Bouchie, who batted a team-high .376 with 12 homers and 53 RBIs, could return. He was drafted in the seventh round by the Milwaukee Brewers, but has been tabbed by some scouts as a potential first- or second-round selection if he comes back and has another strong season in 2007.

Memorial product Marcus Tackett, a projected starting infielder as a freshman before undergoing shoulder surgery in January, should be ready for next year and also could be a pitching contributor.

Four of the Golden Eagles' top pitchers were seniors -- Sean Jarrett, Nick Jones and Daniel Greenwalt and Chris Ashman. But Ashman (10-1), the Mid-Continent pitcher of the year, could be back as a sixth-year senior if he receives a medical exemption.

Also slated back are juniors Chance Chapman (5-1) and Erik Crichton (5-1), who played a major role in ORU's 31-3 roll into the super regional.

Among those in a promising recruiting class who will join ORU is Bishop Kelley's Jeff Scardino, the Tulsa World's All-Metro player of the year. He could contribute quickly as an outfielder or a left-handed pitcher.

The absence of a dependable southpaw was ORU's only weakness down the stretch. Another possible left-handed pitching candidate next year is Minissale, who was impressive in his lone mound appearance this year.

The losses at Clemson did not take away the special feeling Walton has about this year's team that traveled to ORU's ninth straight NCAA regional berth and its first Super Regional in the eight years of the current postseason format.

"From the beginning I've liked every guy on our team," Walton said. "This is a team I've really enjoyed being around.

"I like our resolve. I like our athletes. I like our players and chemistry."

And he will still be around many of them in 2007.