ORU Women's Basketball

tmh8286

I went to the women's game Tuesday night, and wanted to post some observations. I think that there is the feeling with many of us that the women's games just aren't as fun and exciting as the men's games, and fewer attend. If that's what you think, you're really missing the boat.

While the play was a little sloppy at times in the first half, the ORU women came on strong in the second half, and won easily - 96-70. The hustle of these gals is absolutely amazing. Elisha Turik had 27 points in 27 minutes of play, shooting 13-17, or 77%! And these weren't easy layups under the basket. She was hitting 15 foot fall-away jumpers with defenders right in her face, and making it look easy.

Leah Cannon has been a warrior for ORU the past three years, and she hasn't lost her fire. With her seven assists Monday she comes within 12 assists of setting either the ORU or Mid-Con assist record. I think I'm telling that right - can you help me, voice?

Jerry has also picked up a couple dandy freshmen in Jenny Hardin from Claremore and Claudia Pereira from Brazil. Watch the careers of these two - I think we'll be hearing a lot about them.

The coaches have this team playing a high energy, up tempo style of basketball, and it's fun to watch. My 17 year old son came to the game with me so I didn't have to go alone, but he really wasn't wanting to watch a "girls game". He couldn't believe how fun it really was. He thinks that Turik should be on the men's team.

Take in a women's game sometime if you get the chance. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Guest Rob Marshall

Tim great post; I am more guilty than anyone of NOT attending the women's games because of so many other things to do; however, when I do go to their games, I always say how much fun Jerry's teams are to watch play.

Having talked to some of the ORU women's staff about this year's team, they believe this is there best team yet at ORU. Make it a point to go watch 'em play sometime.

Leah became the Mid-Con's all-time assist leader in the season opener at New Mexico and is currently 12 assists shy of Kim Ogden's school record of 518.

Jerry has also picked up a couple dandy freshmen in Jenny Hardin from Claremore and Claudia Pereira from Brazil. Watch the careers of these two - I think we'll be hearing a lot about them.

I think you meant Marianna Camargo, the new freshman from Brazil. It's easy to confuse them, both have long dark hair. Claudia is a senior, 2nd year here.

I too was very impressed with Hardin. She's going to be a great player, in the mold of Turek.

I love going to the women's games, but the referees are usually so bad it can be really annoying.

You're right, Mrs. Smith - I'm not familiar enough with the names yet to be able to go from memory, so I used the roster, and Claudia Pereira that I posted plays forward -designated "F" on the roster. I saw that "F" by Claudia's name and mistakenly copied it down wrong. Hard to believe, but true. Aren't you glad you have someone other than me to do your taxes?

The player I meant was #10, Marianna Camargo, a pure delight to watch.